¡Help!

Does anyone else see a loss (or possibly just a change) in quality when exporting a song in BM2 to a file (both aiff and wav). Specifically with the kick drum/bass drum. And this is getting very old very quickly, as I'll perfect my song in the DAW, and then export it to a file just to listen to a screwed version.

Comments

• Nobody?!?! Anything!?
  • You guys gotta be kidding me ... There's no one any of you actually use the app if you haven't noticed this problem ..
  • Record a track of just a bass drum or hi hat repeatedly being hit, export to an audio file, transfer to soundcloud/Dropbox/computer, then go back and fourth from listening to the song on souncloud/comp./etc And from the actual song in the daw and you'll start laughing ... It's embarrassing
  • Hello @NeitherKiethnor

You should ensure you do not cross 0dB (clipping/saturation) on every track you are exporting, or MAIN if you are exporting everything to one WAV/AIFF file.

I suggest you try again but re-adjusting the volumes.
    If the problem still persists, I contact us with an example WAV/AIFF file here: https://intua.zendesk.com/home

On a side note, Soundcloud will compress the audio and it has a clear impact on quality. Best way to stay lossless is to export your WAV/AIFF files to your desktop computer.

Cheers,
    Mathieu.
  • edited October 2015
    @intua I appreciate the concern for help, thanks a lot. What is MAIN?(as i am exporting everything to one file); I tried re-adjusting volumes again which didn't work, and i have also been transporting the files onto my computer and then even creating a higher quality mp3 file of it and still won't help. I think the problem occurs right when i try exporting the song to a file. Is my best bet to record the audio from my phone through an interface onto my desktop at this point?
  • "MAIN" is just the main output on the mixer.

This is strange, the resulting audio should be exactly as you hear it when you play the song, except if your tracks are saturating.

If you play the exported audio right from inside BeatMaker 2 (in the Sample editor), is it glitched/noisy as well ? If it's not, it might be a problem with the way you transfer the file to your computer.
  • @intua Yeah you're definitely right, it's just a saturation issue. But It really only seems to be a problem for the kick drum, as I'm constantly changing volumes, lowering and highering frequencies, trying to figure out how to keep it from drastically changing when I export it; is there a basic dB range I should try not to exceeding for a kick?
  • Kicks generally bring a lot of bass into the mix so you should use a compressor to work that out.

One easy solution would be lower the MAIN volume on the mixer by a fair amount and try re-exporting.

Cheers.
    Mathieu.
  • Make sure you are exporting kicks at -6 to -3db that's a good range to avoid popping from clipped audio, and if you're clipping a kick and its thru a compressor this will suck the life right out the signal. Always (unless you are a mastering guru) leave the main output maxed at -6 or -3db...this will leave headroom for mastering later as well. Also be aware of summing, if you are stacking kicks or tracks...there are many tutorials of how to mix quiet and save the final duties for the mastering engineer as mastering is a process that is best left to a real mastering engineer.