Making instruments w/ keyboard sampler... is there an easier way I didn't know about?

edited June 2016 in General
So, just a couple weeks ago or so, I had uploaded into BM2 some samples of a VST that I created using Direct Wave for FL Studio. Rather than my usual method of using my usual process of adding a zone and then using "load sample", I chose to use the "quick load" function from the start.

So I browsed to the folder with the samples I wanted to use, dragged the first one over (I believe it was tuned to C1) and... much to my surprise, BM2 automatically chose the correct root key, high key, and possibly even low key as well (I usually just have my lowest sample go all the way down the keyboard, and highest all the way to the top, so the low key was not important). The point is... this made making a new keyboard instrument INCREDIBLY faster and less cumbersome.

Somehow BM2 knew what the root note of this sample was (possibly by analyzing the audio content of it??) - but more incredibly, it knew to set the high key to F1, as the proceeding sample was tuned to F#1. Does this have something to do with the fact that I created the samples using Direct Wave? This is a pretty groundbreaking feature to me, and I'm surprised I haven't read anything on here about it. Seems like it would make life a lot easier for many other users, as it did for me.

Also, just a hint to the Intua team working on Beatmaker 3... the app Caustic is able to import .instr files (FL Studio Mobile sample instruments), which are compressed files holding all the samples, as well as the info needed to automatically lay them across the keyboard. Could be a big bonus, and apparently it doesn't step on Image Line's toes enough for them to have bugged the Caustic dev about it.

Zac

Comments

• Zac,

BeatMaker 2 reads the instrument/sampler metadata chunk in WAVE files that contains low/high/base key information. Direct Wave must have written them. We don't have any tonal detection but that's something we could consider adding in BM3; which would ease the programmation of preset.

I'll take a look into those FL .instr files ! Thanks for the advice.

Happy preset editing :-)

Cheers,
    Mathieu.
  • Tonal detection would be a boss level thing indeed! ;)
  • edited July 2016
    Beatmaker 2 has an amasing keyboard sampler. I have my Native Instruments VST's sampled inside of Beatmaker 2 and it sounds amazing. When you purchase NI's Maschine packs (desktop version) they give you the instruments in sampled wavs taged with note information, so you can map them to Beatmaker's keyboard sampler. I have my 36gigs Maschine sample pack imported and now have Maschine on the go inside Beatmaker 2 lol