Best Setup for external app recall?

I am new the beatmaker crowd. I have the Arturia and Korg synth apps, and want their preset settings to be recalled with each Beatmaker project I load. What does Intua recommend to achieve this?

Comments

• For other wondering, its best to use AU3 (Audio Unit) format. This will ensure your changes recalled. Otherwise, you can record the samples from AudioBus or Internapp audio. AU3 is best, and the offerings will grow with time.

• Which is odd that the "bigger" software companies don't support it yet.
    All my great synths and software instruments don't appear as AUv3. :/
    I just can't believe that having this "extra" makes so much more work than programming the app in the first place.

Kinda sucks and makes it unnecessarily tedious of a workflow.
    Really uncalled-for extra steps - especially when the needed technology is already present.

I wish that in those instances Apple would be more of a hard-liner (like they sometimes are with their hardware decisions and their banishment of Flash)
    They could easily "force" the developers through additional app store requirements to support those protocols (AUv3) - but they choose not to do it.

They instead choose to not "support" 32bit anymore in iOS11 and basically forcing the developers to update or leave the app store.

Same stupid decision as to "co-develop" and market the really great Steelseries Nimbus gamepad - BUT THEN not requiring all the game developers to support it. And now some of the best games on iOS don't support Gamepads AT ALL. Which is great chance just given away by Apple. They could really grow their iOS gaming - but they seem not to be interested. Same on macOS. PS4 controller works over bluetooth out of the box - but A LOT of the app store games DON'T support ANY gamepad. That's just so, so dumb.

Same with music apps - great ideas and technologies - but then not giving much crap about what the developers do with it - and leaving the customers with half-assed software on great hardware.
    I'm still waiting for that day that these super-marketed iPad graphics chips and Metal are going to "blow me away".
    But only sugar-coated spiffy WWDC Demos - and then dying a quiet death...... >:)

Please Apple..... or the maybe you guys at Intua :) can influence them to push more and harder for the AUv3 plugs.
    It's kind of a shame that the developers (like Intua or Audiobus) seem to better understand what your hardware is capable of - which isn't bad at all - BUT sometimes you HAVE to listen better and adapt. Please Apple......
    (keeping fingers crossed)

• edited July 2017
    You cant force a developer to use AUv3, it has limitations currently that annoy the **** out of developers, just go ask @brambos.
    When it is a 100% reliable and usable format, there will be little that is not AUv3, go look at the desktop for how quickly VST took over once it had all the needed features.
  • edited July 2017

@william77 said:
    Same stupid decision as to "co-develop" and market the really great Steelseries Nimbus gamepad...

Oh man don't get me started with that! I have a Nimbus gamepad, and I hoped to use the thumb sticks for Midi XY....huge disappointment on MacOS. As for gaming, it works with Apple TV, iPad, iPhone where supported by developers. Maybe a developer will take some interest if it's worth his/her energy.

@5pinlink said:
    You cant force a developer to use AUv3, it has limitations currently that annoy the **** out of developers, just go ask @brambos.
    When it is a 100% reliable and usable format, there will be little that is not AUv3, go look at the desktop for how quickly VST took over once it had all the needed features.

I believe it will happen in time. If search "Audio Unit" in the App Store, you'll find some really interesting developments...especially the large piano libraries by Crudebyte. It's early in the game, and we're anxious to see what developers can do, and how apple can accomodate. WWDC is a great event to get the attention of Apple engineers, but the reservation price is expensive.

• edited July 2017

@5pinlink said:

The struggle is real.

That said, the list of iOS AUv3 plugins out there is already substantial and more are coming out every week. The format is really picking up steam now that Apple has finally ironed out the gremlins in their sample-code and there is some rudimentary form of documentation available. But for the first year and a half making a fully working AU was a task of monumental complexity and frustration. It was almost as if Apple didn't want to share their secret formula for making an AU plugin :#

• @jblongz said:
    I believe it will happen in time. If search "Audio Unit" in the App Store, you'll find some really interesting developments...especially the large piano libraries by Crudebyte. It's early in the game, and we're anxious to see what developers can do, and how apple can accomodate. WWDC is a great event to get the attention of Apple engineers, but the reservation price is expensive.

Well, I just hope that the "big" developers (like Korg, Moog, etc.) don't skip out on it.
    Time will tell.

• Personally i dont care too much about the big players, VST created some new big players from independants and i hope AUv3 can do the same for some of these guys.
  • @5pinlink said:

I'm pretty sure that Apple "could" if they wanted to. They have all the leverage they want at the moment.
    But if it's still a pita development-wise and buggy - then it's probably understandable why it's not widely adopted yet. Makes sense.

• edited July 2017
    They couldn't force anything, where do you set the boundaries ?
    "Hey we have this toy piano app for kids"
    "Sorry no, it is an instrument, must be AUv3"
    "We have created a test tone generator for doing audio to light wave calibration for fibre optics companies"
    "Sorry no, it is a synthesizer, must be AUv3"

Two extreme examples, but you get my point.
  • edited July 2017
    > @5pinlink said:
    > They couldn't force anything, where do you set the boundaries ?
    > "Hey we have this toy piano app for kids"
    > "Sorry no, it is an instrument, must be AUv3"
    > "We have created a test tone generator for doing audio to light wave calibration for fibre optics companies"
    > "Sorry no, it is a synthesizer, must be AUv3"
    >
    > Two extreme examples, but you get my point.

well, these are moot points in my opinion - and we could go on forth and back about it.

But if an App is a professional „instrument“ intended to be also used in an iOS DAW and supports Inter-App Audio. It should also be mandatory to support AUv3.

Who needs a „standalone only“ Synth or Sampler on a modern feature evolving plattform like iOS? Especially since Apps like Audiobus showed where the development should head along?

How many Hardware Synth manufacturers do you see these days who insist on using CV/gate instead of midi? Let alone Midi via USB.
    True, this was only „enforced“ through competition - but sometimes leverage can make things happen much faster.
    (experience shows that if you leave those decisions to the parties involved - they often opt not for the best solution - but for the one requiring the least effort)

Also - supposedly all the AUv3 quirks will be sorted out - what would be the problem to add that support?
    Is it like 80% more programming amount of work? I hardly can believe that.

And Apple didn‘t gave a sh*t when they decided that flash is tedious and just killed it. They didn‘t care about Adobes opinion.

Or when they threw various Developers out of the App Store - after they „incorporated“ various features directly into iOS - that where before only available thru those apps.

Or when they „decide“ in retrospective that using the loudness button as a camera release trigger is not allowed - then kick developers out of the App store. Only to incorporate it into iOS themselves later on.

Apple can without a doubt enforce requirements and guidelines within the App Store as they please (and already have done so in the past).
    And Developers either obey or leave (or get deleted).

The fact that they decide not to - does not mean that they can‘t.
  • No way I’d want to see developers forced to implement AUv3 — or any other technology I don’t need. That’s up to the dev and what they want to offer. Many apps I use and like don’t have it, and they might not exist if they had to please everyone. Nobody’s forced to buy anything that doesn’t match their needs, so read the specs before buying. I thank Apple for this.

• edited July 2017

If you're using Beatmaker 3, AUv3 is your best solution for 3rd party apps...period.

• edited July 2017

@medaref said:
    No way I’d want to see developers forced to implement AUv3 — or any other technology I don’t need. That’s up to the dev and what they want to offer. Many apps I use and like don’t have it, and they might not exist if they had to please everyone. Nobody’s forced to buy anything that doesn’t match their needs, so read the specs before buying. I thank Apple for this.

well, you obviously DO "need" AUv3 for any virtual instrument that you want to use in a DAW (like BM3) - and retain 100% session recall abilities and also run multiple instances of one Instrument. And all sorts of other hasslefree stuff.
    (who in their right mind wouldn't want that when using a DAW?)

And I'm pretty sure that most of the users don't buy Korg, Moog and all the other Synths - just for their great standalone Performance.

If IAA implementation can achieve that - I don't care. Whatever you call it - just MAKE IT WORK how it's supposed to. I don't give a damn if it's IAA or AUv3. But for the iOS Plattform there is no way around AUv3 - it's Apples brain-child.
    You won't see VST3 coming to iOS and rule the plattform - while AUv3 is treated like a stepchild.

This kind of implementation by the way is already "standard" in ANY serious DAW on PC/macOS land (like Logic/AU, Cubase/VST, ProTools/AAX, etc.)

I for one DEFINITELY don't want to have to print every Synth to an audio file - or jot down the preset names and adjustments on paper (old-school hardware style) for a "manual" session recall.
    Because that is sooo kinda 1990ies..

Because that is why a lot of the iOS Apps do still feel like "toy" stuff - even though the hardware is more capable than that. So much for the "post-PC" era. Big-effin'-LOL....

Guess what - a lot of the Developers don't like to go the extra-mile for out-of-the-ordinary customer satisfaction. They often just do the needed minimum and cash in - and the customer is then left with a half-baked Beta Software - more or less.

• @william77 said:
    Guess what - a lot of the Developers don't like to go the extra-mile for out-of-the-ordinary customer satisfaction. They often just do the needed minimum and cash in - and the customer is then left with a half-baked Beta Software - more or less.

It's a bit more complicated than that. I was one of the first to really adopt the AUv3 standard in my plugins, but for some bizarre reason many users are still clinging to their multi-app-screen-switching workflow with messy midi problems, IAA ghosting etc. As a result I got lots of demands for implementing Audiobus, IAA and Coremidi, MIDI Clock, Link, even though the sweet integration of AUv3 in iOS DAWs could make their life so much more convenient. So it's not just the developers' fault - we're just listening to the peculiar demands of the iOS community.

• @brambos said:

It's a bit more complicated than that. I was one of the first to really adopt the AUv3 standard in my plugins, but for some bizarre reason many users are still clinging to their multi-app-screen-switching workflow with messy midi problems, IAA ghosting etc. As a result I got lots of demands for implementing Audiobus, IAA and Coremidi, MIDI Clock, Link, even though the sweet integration of AUv3 in iOS DAWs could make their life so much more convenient. So it's not just the developers' fault - we're just listening to the peculiar demands of the iOS community.

I totally understand that - and I also don't think that ALL developers don't make the extra effort.
    But some also take the easy route.
    And theres thousands of Apps in the store to proof that - best example are all those 32bit Apps that will never receive an update. :D

I would guess that this "stupid" situation of yours originated from the circumstance, that it wasn't a principal idea in the first place for iOS to make Apps talk to each other and interact flawlessly.
    Because otherwise no one would have ever came up with the idea/need for an App like Audiobus. :)

BUT if YOU can implement IAA, Audiobus and the other stuff and obviously you already have AUv3 working - then WHY the hell the bigger developers can't add AUv3 to their already existing other Interface connections.
    Doesn't make much sense to me other than that they don't give a sh*t.

• @brambos - I am glad that you have all of your apps available as AUV3. It makes them very convenient in AUM and BM3. But I must say, I wish the AUV3 versions had the wonderful sequencers that you created for Troublemaker and Ripplemaker. So I am glad that you have AB3 and IAA versions as well of these apps. I know that implementing these different versions may seem like a waste of time, but I find them very useful.

• @william77 said:

@brambos said:

BUT if YOU can implement IAA, Audiobus and the other stuff and obviously you already have AUv3 working - then WHY the hell the bigger developers can't add AUv3 to their already existing other Interface connections.
    Doesn't make much sense to me other than that they don't give a sh*t.

Because it costs money to do that. And if you're not selling enough copies of your app you can't really justify it. This is particularly true for older apps, as most of the people who would buy it already have it...

• @cianoc said:

Because it costs money to do that. And if you're not selling enough copies of your app you can't really justify it. This is particularly true for older apps, as most of the people who would buy it already have it...

Of course it does - and it costs even more money if you don't deliver the expected quality or good support.
    Think about it that way -> one disapointed customer is a lost customer - and is very hard one to win back EVER.
    And word of mouth spreads quickly in both directions.
    An old but great and supported App will always get my praisal and recommendation.

• edited July 2017

@ALB said:
    @brambos - I am glad that you have all of your apps available as AUV3. It makes them very convenient in AUM and BM3. But I must say, I wish the AUV3 versions had the wonderful sequencers that you created for Troublemaker and Ripplemaker. So I am glad that you have AB3 and IAA versions as well of these apps. I know that implementing these different versions may seem like a waste of time, but I find them very useful.

Fair point. And in fact designing the sequencers is quite fun :) However there's no way they would fit inside the standard letterbox format of AU plugins without compromising UX quality. iOS 11 will change that and allow for flexible sizes for AU plugins but we're not there yet. And in the meantime BM3's sequencers are also pretty solid.

@cianoc said:

Yes, all these standards (there are far too many of them for a small platform like iOS) take a disproportionate amount of time to implement. I can build a pretty good synth engine in two weeks. And then spend another 10 weeks implementing all the connectivity protocols (which of course all bite each other and turn your code into an unreadable spaghetti of dependencies and conflicting frameworks). I can see how retrofitting AUv3 can be a b*tch of a job in an existing synth.

That's why I'm a big supporter of DAW/hosts like BM3 (and the other usual suspects). Once those are the preferred platforms we can safely forget about having to implement all the other stuff in every individual app.

• There is one simple answer to all of this, vote with your wallet, I don't buy any instrument/effect that is not AUv3, if everybody does the same they will all be AUv3, but as has been pointed out, that wont happen because the vast portion of this super niche market likes to think of themselves as uber geek, and run this app in to that app in to this app in to that app, oh and then proclaim IOS as completely unstable too hahaha

• @5pinlink said:
    There is one simple answer to all of this, vote with your wallet, I don't buy any instrument/effect that is not AUv3, if everybody does the same they will all be AUv3, but as has been pointed out, that wont happen because the vast portion of this super niche market likes to think of themselves as uber geek, and run this app in to that app in to this app in to that app, oh and then proclaim IOS as completely unstable too hahaha

No, I really don't like or enjoy the hassle of all of the connectivity problems, nor do I pride myself on thinking that I'm some kind of uber geek (In fact, I think my periodic requests for assistance prove that I'm not an uber geek). That said, there are many apps not on AUv3 that I simply don't want to do without. There are excellent synths on AUv3, but they cannot do everything.

• You missed my point entirely
  • @5pinlink said:
    You missed my point entirely

No. I understood your point.

You failed to understand my rejoinder which is that there are artistic reasons to NOT limit oneself to AUv3 apps. It has absolutely nothing to do with wanting to make things more complicated or uber-geeky.

That's my opinion and in matters of taste there can be no argument.

• Again you missed my point entirely, case in point Brambos, AUv3 plugins that he ships with a standalone wrapper, so your point of wanting standalone for artistic reasons is completely negated by the fact that AUv3 can be standalone too.

So as a matter of taste he offers both.
  • @5pinlink said:
    Again you missed my point entirely, case in point Brambos, AUv3 plugins that he ships with a standalone wrapper, so your point of wanting standalone for artistic reasons is completely negated by the fact that AUv3 can be standalone too.

So as a matter of taste he offers both.

But others do not. For example, I want to use DRC. It does not exist as an AUv3. It's very simple. What do you not understand?

• And, by the way, I never said I wanted a standalone for artistic reasons. I only said that there are apps that don't exist as AUv3s that have desirable sounds and other characteristics that make them important artistically (to my mind, anyway - you are free to differ and that is fine).

I think you are conflating an earlier exchange that I had with Brambos. That was something different.

• edited July 2017
    No im pointing out facts, if all synth apps were AUv3 you wouldn't even be having this conversation, my point was not about people like you, although you assumed it was, my point was that a large portion of this very niche part of the IOS world actually want standalone because they like overcomplication, they like to mess neverendingly, they like to think they are uber geek because they have ten apps linked to make a drone sound.
    So yeah, you missed my point, i probably didn't make the point well enough or clear enough, i apologise ;)
  • @5pinlink said:
    No im pointing out facts, if all synth apps were AUv3 you wouldn't even be having this conversation, my point was not about people like you, although you assumed it was, my point was that a large portion of this very niche part of the IOS world actually want standalone because they like overcomplication, they like to mess neverendingly, they like to think they are uber geek because they have ten apps linked to make a drone sound.
    So yeah, you missed my point, i probably didn't make the point well enough or clear enough, i apologise ;)

Yes, it's axiomatic that if all apps were AUv3, then we would not be having this conversation. I agree with you. I don't feel so certain that there are people who love to overly complicate their setups, though I suppose that some like to tinker beyond what is reasonable simply just to stretch limits. I simply cannot say for certain. I'll leave it at that. Good night.

• edited July 2017
    Trust me, go read the Audiobus forum to see how many people are running this app in to that app in to this app in to that app, at one point 18 months ago and before, AUv3 were frowned upon massively because they were plugins and did not support AB IAA and such lol

Some people even want heavy hitting desktop software that wouldnt play well with mobile hardware, be it storage, lowly CPU or the lack of mouse.
    At some point the old saying horses for courses has to apply !!