Sampling in BM3 not as fluid as BM2.

Maybe I'm just not doing something right, but the chopping in BM3 is a bit...choppy. Don't have the option to play audio will adding a slice to know where your play head is. Also, when i add chops if often adds a small slice in between a slice. Anyone else finding it harder to sample in BM3?

Comments

• Yes I as well am finding it difficult to chop in bm3, I use the auto slice as a general point of where I might want them to be and then I adjust accordingly but this doesn't seem to be the case in bm3, as you said it adds an additional slice in between others slices, when auto sliced I'm not allowed to move or delete those slice so I just export to bm2 slice then back to bm3

• @NeonTaylor said:
    Yes I as well am finding it difficult to chop in bm3, I use the auto slice as a general point of where I might want them to be and then I adjust accordingly but this doesn't seem to be the case in bm3, as you said it adds an additional slice in between others slices, when auto sliced I'm not allowed to move or delete those slice so I just export to bm2 slice then back to bm3

Why are you not "allowed" to? Works for me.
    Just go pad by pad - zoom into the sample - and move the markers where you want them to be.
    But make sure that you turn off snap to zero - because otherwise the markers won't move freely. :)

I never done chopping on BM2 - but I find it pretty convenient in BM3.

• The most annoying thing to me is the way additional slices are introduced when fiddling with start and end points. @mathieugarcia is there any way to turn that off?

• I've found that the easiest way to add slices is to NOT use the scissor tool.
    This also makes moving/adjusting slice-bounds a bit easier.

To add a slice without using the scissor tool just tap-n-drag down from top-ruler to the sample.

I've also suggested having an option to enable 'snap to slice bounds' to avoid over-laps and gaps when slicing.
    (In practice when moving the end of one slice it would automatically adjust the start of the following slice leaving no gaps behind).

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The most annoying thing to me is the way additional slices are introduced when fiddling with start and end points. @mathieugarcia is there any way to turn that off?

It seems that you're trying to move the markers directly AFTER you hit the Slice Mode Button.

Try this instead.
    1. load the sample on to a pad
    2. press Slice Mode
    3. Then press the Auto-Slice Button and choose either Splice or Grid and select how many splices you want to have. (the splices don't need to be perfectly alligned - just roughly close by the individual samples and depending on how many chops/splices you want to end up with (5/10/16/32/etc.)
    4. Then press save SAVE -> Slice to pads -> Apply

Now you have a bunch of samples assigned across the drumpads.

1. Hit the first pad for example - it will now just show the selection regarding this drumpad.
    2. Zoom in closely for higher precision (pinch to zoom)
    3. change the Zero Snap/Grid Snap Button to Snap off
    4. now you can reassign the existing selection and move the start and end point wherever you please.

Doesn't add any more markers and works pretty neatly in my opinion.

• +1 for what he said

much preferred using bm2's chop lab.
  • @william77 said:

@lukesleepwalker said:
    The most annoying thing to me is the way additional slices are introduced when fiddling with start and end points. @mathieugarcia is there any way to turn that off?

It seems that you're trying to move the markers directly AFTER you hit the Slice Mode Button.

Try this instead.
    1. load the sample on to a pad
    2. press Slice Mode
    3. Then press the Auto-Slice Button and choose either Splice or Grid and select how many splices you want to have. (the splices don't need to be perfectly alligned - just roughly close by the individual samples and depending on how many chops/splices you want to end up with (5/10/16/32/etc.)
    4. Then press save SAVE -> Slice to pads -> Apply

Now you have a bunch of samples assigned across the drumpads.

1. Hit the first pad for example - it will now just show the selection regarding this drumpad.
    2. Zoom in closely for higher precision (pinch to zoom)
    3. change the Zero Snap/Grid Snap Button to Snap off
    4. now you can reassign the existing selection and move the start and end point wherever you please.

Doesn't add any more markers and works pretty neatly in my opinion.

Yes! I like this workflow much better. Thanks for the tip.

• @lukesleepwalker Ahhhhhh, i see exactly what you mean! Gonna try it this way and see how it works for me. Just miss the traditional way of working (touch, slice, edit, play sample as slicing, next). It's a bit more tedious now... But I'll work around it.
  • edited July 2017
    @lukesleepwalker you don't even need to pinch. The arrows beside the Start/End-Loop buttons will give a precise zoom to the start or end markers. Using this to trim, in tandem with the pad selection cursor aroows below make the slicing fast and fun. Also slicing doesn't duplicate the samples. It just sets different start markers to the same sample mapped across pads. If you trim a sample it gets saved as a new one.

One other point, to get a precise slice on loops it's a good idea to make sure it's properly looped/timestretched. If a loop is slightly longer or shorter than a bar the slices will be a mess if you split it, which is why grid is a useful option once you get set the bpm
  • Thanks @LucidMusicInc! I have found those arrows since my last post and they are a key piece of my workflow now. But your post have me a couple of additional insights so thanks!