Sessions Organisation Tip! [Ref: 55]

edited August 2017 in General

If like me you like to keep it all organised, here's a tip:
What I did was:

• Created my/some folders as I wanted, Dance, RnB, Reggae, Misc etc..
  • Create a new session.
  • Save the session and name it, (this is before adding or doing anything else)
  • Go to the browser and find the session.
  • Move the session to a folder of your choice.
  • Start work on your session.

From here on in all thing related/done in that session will be in that folder and easy to find etc..
Moving sessions around later in the process is not worth the hassle, so place it where you want it from the start.

(Save to a specific location would be best, but for me, for now, I'm good!)

This may help someone.. :)

But shhhh... don't tell anyone else ;)

King

Comments

• really helpful tip. Thanks!

• Save project to new folder and copy all audio to sub folder
    That is an option that every DAW that ever existed should have haha

• edited July 2017

Yes guys, lovely jubbly,

I believe we'll be seeing the return of this in a future update.

The essential missing features that BM2 has, I'm sure will be added to this brilliant app.

Now I've got it a little more organised, I'm not hesitant to create/start proper producing in this THING!

Good Times!

King

• edited July 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited July 2017

@triton100 said:
    I'm still confused about this whole pack thing. I've new to bm3 didn't use bm2 so bit confused by the folder structures of
    -pack
    -session
    Session is a song. Bank is a kit or an instrument. Sample is a sample. Pack is a huh?
    (I know I'm gonna look really dumb....)

Just had a quick look. Seem the packs are instruments, example; the 'Summer Pack', Is the default pack = (user pack) that comes with BM3.

'Starter Pack' is the free download in the store, it also contains instruments such as drums, bass etc.

I haven't downloaded/bought any others yet to see what they will be called. (Still exploring)

The Packs (not sure if all) also contain sessions (demo tracks)

In conclusion, mostly and essentially, Sound/instrument Packs :) ...

Cheers, for getting me to investigate this lol. I only download the Free pack today, still haven't really studied it yet..

King

• edited July 2017

Everything relating to the browser is contained in a Sqllite database. Sessions, banks and samples can be assigned to a 'Pack', which is just another table in the db (actually called 'libraries'). I found all this out when trying to find a better way to tag thousands of samples by doing it on the desktop. It is far faster than doing it in BM3 itself.

I used Audiofile Engineering Myriad to batch process the WAV files with the necessary metadata, and DB Browser for adding custom packs to the database. Once all tagged, I just moved everything across to the iPad using iFunbox and rescanned the database.

The only issue with doing it this way is that scanning the files you add can take a long time. On my iPad Pro is took over two hours, but that was for over 40,000 samples!

• edited July 2017

Cheers also for that extra screen grab, we can see more (your) pack names.

King

• Yeah, these are custom packs I added to the database manually.

• edited July 2017

Yeah, So I guess soon there will be a lot of user (homemade) packs around..

King

• edited July 2017

Hopefully, yes. I think it would be good for BM3 users.

edit Ah, gotcha; I thought you meant third-party content.

• edited July 2017

@excesseye said:
    Hopefully, yes. I think it would be good for BM3 users.

edit Ah, gotcha; I thought you meant third-party content.

Third party like other sound stores, I think so, because BM2 has that. e.g.; Prime Loops.

I'm thinking of starting a thread, but I haven't made any yet. I'm sure a thread will be started for that in the not too distant future.. ;)

King

• Great idea! I can't add any of mine as they are commercial packs that I had on my Mac. I just wanted to tag them neatly as I'm pretty OCD about sample organisation!

• @excesseye said:
    Great idea! I can't add any of mine as they are commercial packs that I had on my Mac. I just wanted to tag them neatly as I'm pretty OCD about sample organisation!

Fair enough, I almost created a thread then, thought I saw the word 'can' but it was 'can't' lol.

Also I was wondering how Intua would take it. Might slow down there store sales, I'll tag @mathieugarcia and see.

King

• @excesseye
    Thanks, will look in to that, could save me a ton of tagging
  • edited July 2017

No problem. The metadata you need for the WAV files is stored in the 'comments' field, and takes the following format:

'Category=Drums, Library=Goldbaby, SubCategory=Snare'

Pretty straightforward to create a batch process to add what you need. That said, I have had no luck getting the sub categories to work in BM3, even when adding them in the app itself. I can add them, but the browser does not filter them as you would expect.

• @KING said:

@excesseye said:
    Great idea! I can't add any of mine as they are commercial packs that I had on my Mac. I just wanted to tag them neatly as I'm pretty OCD about sample organisation!

Fair enough, I almost created a thread then, thought I saw the word 'can' but it was 'can't' lol.

Also I was wondering how Intua would take it. Might slow down there store sales, I'll tag @mathieugarcia and see.

King

Yeah, I do not want to do anything that would be looked on unfavorably by Intua (I absolutely love this app)! Like I said, I found all this out due to my own obsessive need to organise :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

I'm still confused by the terminology I guess.

I'm thinking when I import all my samples they will already be pregrouped into snares keys stabs etc so when I import via Dropbox I will simply highlight all samples in each group and either
    A. Move to a pack and call it kicks or keys etc. Or
    B. Tag each group as a category called kicks or keys etc
    Any banks of drum kits will be built later as I go and then probably tagged to a new category called kits
    I think b. Seems the best flow Is that right ?
    I just want to get it right from the start so I don't mess things up.
    Or maybe I'm totally overthinking it.

Yeah, I think the whole 'Pack' thing is more for commercial libraries where you might want to include example sessions using the content, etc. I am simply using packs as an additional category level, I guess. Even without using packs, you still have two levels of categorisation; category and sub-category, which should be enough for most cases. It's a personal thing really; just use the system that works best for you.

Your option B works fine, although for kicks, for example, I would use a category of drums and a sub category of kicks.

Note that I have not successfully got the sub category filtering to work in the app yet. Hopefully that will be addressed in an update.

• Yep sub categories is broke for sure, already reported that.
  • edited July 2017

Great, thanks five pin. I thought I had seen it reported in one of the threads already.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.