Useless at this

edited July 2017 in General

Made a sample from a synth but don't know how to create a section from my sample or put sections to different pads.

How do I crossfade to get rid of clicks?

Really hard to understand this program.

On a PC daw ,it's incredibly easy but I know I need a workflow,I'm an old school muso,not very good at the techy stuff.

Getting anxiety and depression,got in way over my head with this app. :'(

p.s, the scissor tool,what does it do in the sample editor?

Comments

• edited July 2017
    First thing, slow down a bit and dont panic.

By create a section do you mean make a selection within the sample and trim it down to just that selection ?
    Personally i would make a duplicate of said sample on to another pad (you can check in the manual how to do this, if you get stuck just post here again), then on the sampler press the select button, if you move the white left and right markers on the waveform view now, you will be creating a selection, once you have it where you want you can hit trim.
    Duplicate your sample to as many pads as you want to split it into before doing any trimming.

There are other methods, but this should get you off and started so that you arent so anxious ;)
  • edited July 2017

I have hit points all over the place but can't remove them or move them to the start point of the sections of the sample I want.
    Also ,clicking when I use the select locators to play back a section.

No crossfades?

When I hit trim,the other parts of the sample disappear and I have to record my sample all over again.

How do I trim bits in place without it going away?

• Your explantion has me lost to be honest.
    You cant trim and keep the other parts, that is what trim means.
    Maybe you want to load it into the slicer, that will put markers in the file and assign them to pads so that you can trigger different sections.

What do you mean by hit points ?
  • Turn the attack knob up a bit to remove click on the beginning of a sample if you cant trim it to have no click, just like you would do with any sampler.

• I loaded a synth bass sample patch and recorded a melody but when playing back there was no sound.

Daunting program,over my head.

I can play Steely Dan drums but no good at this lol.

• edited July 2017
    Did you check mixer to make sure track levels/mutes are OK and no other tracks are 'solo'd? IIRC mute/solo on mixer/sequencer doesn't mute/solo tracks in terms of being able to hear whilst playing/recording them.

This might be bad info tho, might be remembering things wrong, I can't check right now ;)
  • No tracks are soloed or muted,I loaded the gritty pad preset and turned on the metronome then pressed record,played a few notes on the pads.
    When I played back,there was no sound.

• :/ Sounds odd. Couple of times I've had to close/re-open BM3 when weird things like this have happened. Worth a try if you haven't already and then try re-recording the pattern.
  • edited July 2017

I loaded a drumkit,this time it worked.
    I then loaded the gritty pad on bank b and this time it worked.

No idea how to move markers in the sampler,very confusing.

Should be different colours for start and end markers,can't see what is what otherwise.

How do make an arp patch slow down to the song tempo?

The little scissor tool doesn't seem to do anything.

• edited July 2017
    Glad you got it working :)

Basic sampler markers are pretty straight forward once you get your head round it. You mean to edit the sample on a pad right? The marker on the left is start. The marker on the right is end. Not sure where the confusion is coming from?

To make a sample of an arpeggio pattern play at project tempo you can specify how many bars the sampled arpeggio runs for. I cant check right now but i think it's the 'duration' button below the sample wav preview. Make sure you have timestrech turned on ;)

I haven't really used scissor tool yet tbh. Used slicing a couple of times tho and worked OK. Maybe that's what you're looking for?
  • Scissor tool does nothing here,ty for the other info though. :)

• @proudtiger said:
    Scissor tool does nothing here,ty for the other info though. :)

The scissor tool is used after an slicessplit to add more slices to the loop...

• I don't use the 'scissors' at all. I just tap-n-drag down from the top-ruler while in slice mode.
    It's a more reliable way to add more slices.

• edited July 2017

Lol,I found out the scissor tool creates slice points,silly me.
    How do I remove the markers?

Grid snap doesn't seem to work also,I can move the locaters anywhere without them snapping.

I also tried trimming a blank part at the start if my sample,wouldn't do anything when I pressed delete in the sample editor.

Lol,it just did it all of a sudden but because I can't remove slice markers,the sample is playing a small part of what I want it to play.

So frustrating this program.

• Giving it up for now,brain spinning like a top,anxiety and depression and the fact I am dumb,God hates us dumbos.

• @proudtiger if you haven't already it might be worth sitting down with the manual and reading it start to finish whilst you have BM3 in front of you to try stuff. Making notes as you go on each area/function of BM3 and things you think you'll need/forget etc. Same kind of thing I did when I got my octatrack. Helps things to make sense and sink in..

I don't have BM3 in front of me but for slices, I think you need to hit 'edit' which takes you to the fullscreen wav preview editor. Then there's a 'remove slice' button IIRC.

I briefly used grid snap when editing a sample's end point yesterday, seemed to work OK?
  • I am a musician,not a tech head.

That is why I am struggling.

• That is a tight spot to be in. It's not easy. If it's any consolation, think of it this way: you are a chef. The only difference is that you also forge your own utensils. You are not useless.
  • @proudtiger its a lot to take in if samplers/sequencers etc are new to you. I guess just take it slow and in sections..