What are people listening to?

edited August 2017 in General
Nice to not always be talking shop and found some good stuff via recommendations in similar threads in other gear forums. Figured throw one in here (maybe would fit better in a new forum category tho?)..
-

-

-

Comments

• iTunes Chill radio station all day for me...such a variety of influences there.

• edited August 2017

Oh, nice, Broadcast :-) I'm a big warp / ninja-tune fan. Lately I've been listening to ambient/drone a lot, need to focus for work and this is great.
    Here's my Spotify profile: https://open.spotify.com/user/b0nk

Cheers.

• Been loving Dave Tipper...

• edited August 2017
    Listening to this mainly all summer

www.youtube.com/user/asherchill
  • edited August 2017
    Everything you can dance to - and then some.
    Hip Hop/Rap/Trap - old school to new school and everything in between.
    Soul, Rock, Punk, Metall, Blues, Reggae, Classical music...
    Basically very, very mixed.

If it‘s a good tune - it‘s a good tune - no matter the genre.
    But mostly really stuff that has a danceable rythm (4/4) - experimental tunes not so much.
  • edited September 2017
    I've been listening to lots of old Dub and roots reggae, post punk, psychedelia and German new wave lately...

Here's my Spotify:
    https://open.spotify.com/user/tkelly81

Current faves:
    BADBADNOTGOOD feat Sam Herring - Time Moves Slow

The Isley Brothers - Ohio/Machine Gun

Westbam feat. Richard Butler - You Need The Drugs
  • Silkie all day!!

• I like that Broadcast song. Reminds me of Lali Puna, Ms John Soda etc.

This weekend I’ve listened to a lot of Stars, because their new album dropped last Friday.

And plenty of Custard, because we saw them play on Friday night.

• Really impressed by the variety, and very much aware that this is merely a snapshot of right now for everybody, inluding myself.

I'm still wondering if you guys are ready for me to share some of the mightiest, heaviest, seminal roots reggae dub sounds from the 1970s. Let me know...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited October 2017

Thanks @triton100

OK. It's classic Dub time.

I'm going to start with a few of the more accessible classics, then once everyone is comfortable we can go deep down into the echo chamber.

Track 1
    Up first, a vocal dub from Scientist back in 1981 on the seminal 'Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires'. On this track 'Your Teeth in My Neck' he re-mixes (and massively improves) a recent tune by reggae vocalist Michael Prophet. Play it loud!:

Track 2
    Now for some heavy heavy echo business from Prince Jammy (later King Jammy) back in 1979. Bonus point for anyone who can identify the original track this completely re-worked dub 'Jammy a Shine' is a version of:

Track 3
    Back to 1978 now with this mellow (yet still heavy) dub from Vivian (Yabby You) Jackson and the Prophets on the rare (recently re-issued) dub album Beware Dub:

Track 4
    A tasty, sound effects laden, dub entitled 'Master Mantrol' from Mikey Dread now, A track from his 1979 Dread at the Controls Dubwise, which was the artist's own dub version of his non-dubwise album of the same name that year:

Track 5
    Time for another absolute classic, 'Every Tongue Shall Tell Dub' this time coming from Prince Douglas on the famous Wackies label (New York) back in 1980. This dub is a killer version of a vocal track by Wayne Jarrett released the same year on Wackies:

Track 6
    We're 5 tracks in, so it's really time I included the late great King Tubby.. the father of Dub. I'm deliberately avoiding his most well known tracks and instead including the tasty 'There's Dub' (circa 1978) from Glen Brown & King Tubby's 'Termination Dub' (this one was harder to find on YouTube, so hopefully this link plays 33:24 into the album rip. If not.. please jump ahead manually):

Further edits and more tracks soon...

• edited October 2017
    Glad there's at least one other that appreciates this.

Most BM3 users I encounter online (YouTube for example) seem definitely more of the Hip Hop / Trap persuasion.

Perhaps it's simply the case that the kind of people attracted to web forums are naturally more ambient/electronic, synth-obsessed, knob-twiddling types (no pun intended)?
  • Audiobus should be called KrustyBus, any given Saturday you can pop down to Cornwall and find all of those types in a self important cafe or converted barn, trying to use some soundscape or other to talk to aliens.

• @5pinlink said:
    Audiobus should be called KrustyBus, any given Saturday you can pop down to Cornwall and find all of those types in a self important cafe or converted barn, trying to use some soundscape or other to talk to aliens.

Cheeky emmet ;)

• @5pinlink

I've never frequented the AB forums, but if it's true they're mostly synth heads from Cornwall, might I suggest a name change to AudioTuss?

(Cornish reference) ;)
  • They arent all from Cornwall, they are just those type of Krusties, I call it the Totnes forum, but that is very localised to me.

• edited October 2017

I never was into this uk grime scene, but these guys recently changed it:

That new wiley record(godfather) i have listened on average 2.5 times a day for the past two weeks or so. I dont remember listening any album before in this heavy rotation, and usually dont even listen to rap music nearly this much.

And lets balance things with a bit of great "real" music:

This is the kind of song that requires headphones or loud speakers and closed eyes :)

• edited October 2017
    this.

and sometimes this.
  • Dawn Wall has been my jam since I recently discovered them

Anyone here using Deezer as opposed to Spotify? I’m in my Deezer trial period, and while there are some things Deezer lacks that Spotify has, Deezer has “when the drums come in” and “everlasting days VIP” which are both missing from Spotify (at least for this US customer)

• If I’m not making music tonight, this is my go to thread. Thanks everyone for the music!

• @tk32 said:
    _'Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires'__. On this track _'Your Teeth in My Neck'

This is one of my fav traks on one of my fav albums; good choice :) the michael prophet originals arent 'recent' tho; must have pre-dated the versions.... ;)

• edited January 2018

@Echolalia said:

@tk32 said:
    _'Scientist Rids the World of the Evil Curse of the Vampires'__. On this track _'Your Teeth in My Neck'

This is one of my fav traks on one of my fav albums; good choice :) the michael prophet originals arent 'recent' tho; must have pre-dated the versions.... ;)

Thanks... I worded it badly. I meant that the Michael prophet vocal version had been a recent hit in 1982 shortly before it was 'versioned' and immortalised by Scientist and Junjo Lawes :)