Best way to add FX to the end of a sample?

Beginner question. So I have an intro sample - about 12 seconds long - and I want to add increasingly heavy reverb to the last few seconds of the sample and for the tails to continue after the sample is finished. What’s the best way to do this? Use a send plus automation?

Thanks

Comments

• edited October 2017
    Yep, you have two routes, load the reverb as an insert or a send, i would go for insert if the reverb has mix or wet/dry controls, but as a send if the reverb doesnt have those controls.

1 Add the reverb as a send effect and then get your settings at the heaviest they are going to be.
    2 Automate the mix (mverb) or automate the wet (legacy reverb) from 0 to 100.
    (Remember here that reverb is a dense sound mostly created by smashing the source sound back in to itself delayed, automating all the controls to go from big to small will sound so similar to just automating mix or send level, the listener wont tell the difference, diminishing returns)

If it is just the intro where this happens, i would set it up as a new session, render it out and then load the hard copy in to your main session, effect reverbs like this are often left in the main project running realtime and they guzzle CPU/RAM resources, even on my desktop i would render this effect out ;)
    Save it as a session though, that way if you do want to tweak you just load the reverb session, tweak/render/reinsert in to main session.

This is how most of the game and indie film composers i know actually work anyway, compose sections of the score as sessions, then render and insert in to a master session for completion.
  • Great advice! Thank you @5pinlink.