Breakbeat #1 - Amen Brother - The Winstons

Comments

• Was hoping for the signature crash, and some of the rolls (paradiddles?)

I think I need to make my own, as you suggest.

Love your tails, btw
  • I only rip the minimal amount of hits needed, the rolls can be recreated with just these hits ;)
    I will add the crash and maybe the first stabbed kick in the 02 kit.

Probably harks back to when i had limited RAM in my samplers, but i may work a different way to most, i do the 2 or 3 kit layer thing for DnB, Flow and Tops and Halfs.

• edited November 2017

I can't wait for the day when we can use 'sample-offset' to mangle loops using the step-sequencer :)
    (The old 9xx tracker addiction strikes back).

• Can't wait to modulate sample start position so I can create some deliberately janky rhythms.
  • Im not one for offset stuff, always used slices even in trackers lol, modulating a loop point to get that metalic nasty for a few hits is right up my street though.

• @tk32 said: I think I need to make my own, as you suggest.

Do it, buddy! (know what i mean, know what i mean, wink, wink, nudge, nudge!)

;)

• @5pinlink said:
    Im not one for offset stuff, always used slices even in trackers lol, modulating a loop point to get that metalic nasty for a few hits is right up my street though.

I'm thinking more about using the step-modulator to trigger the 'slices' if they are present and % when no slices are available. This roughly how Renoise/Trackers work. The step-modulator could then be used as a 'Rex Style Re-arranger' or something similar. The sample offset together with the step-modulator could also be used to do old-school time-stretching which would get us closer to granular synthesis.

• Yeah would be slick for sure !!

• edited November 2017

As a way of saying thank you, here's me having a quick bit of fun programming @ronji's Amen bank:

Notes: made from about five 4-bar patterns, each recorded individually by finger drumming, then manually quantised with a few extra fixes/tweaks in pattern editor. I've also added some stereo modulation effects (Svep), EQ and compression.

• Nice :)
    I need to practice finger drumming, i'm absolutely sh*t.

• Yoooo sick jam there @tk32! Not the typical rhythm, really fresh, and you even added some reverse business!

• Btw @tk32, could you help me out with the “global amp envelope” you referred to earlier? I read this like there’s a single envelope that all pads/layers could use, and modifying it would once would apply to all pads/layers. Is that a thing? Or will I have to tweak the envelopes on all pads/layers?

Also, please everyone feel free to share improvements to the bank! I’m still gonna work on adding more pads to the top for different purposes, like some reverses and stretches and whatnot. Maybe even some lazy pads that play through the break from certain hits

• edited November 2017
    Ok, a small admission..

Everything in that demo I posted above is done using only pad 33, which contains the entire amen loop in 32 slices. I tend to prefer slicing to keys rather than to pads, because it lets you have 1 global envelope shared for every slice.

Sorry if I slightly mislead when referring to a global envelope - the only way to do it is using a single pad (I believe)
  • Ah ok that makes sense. =)

• You can sort of have a global envelope by using the control to all layers thing, when i asked for a global per instrument envelope i was bitched at no end by users.
    Funny how stuff gets turned around lol.

• edited July 2019

• Split and tidied OT stuff ;)

• BTW: so much fun adding some of those Audiodamage effects on top of the jungle loop. fun for days.

• Yeah its a bit surprising that there is nothing like Glitch or Effectrix in AUv3 to be honest.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah its a bit surprising that there is nothing like Glitch or Effectrix in AUv3 to be honest.

+1

• I'm cross posting some stuff from the resource thread....
    Some of this stuff will be out of sync with the current timeline in this thread

The origins of the sample @ronji used

@ronji said:
    @5pinlink right on. I'm located in the US, btw. shall we go ahead and get sharing and working on the ultimate amen bank(s)? have you made one yourself yet? I'm a super novice compared to you! right now I've got two banks, both using an aiff I made in BM3 after slicing the sample downloaded from freesound, which I modified slightly in audioshare (looped and recut to fix that transient at the end). the first bank has timestretch off, and the second bank has timestretch on, and I've mapped one macro per bank to the tuning of each pad. I've thought about trying to get both the timestretch on and off versions into one bank, each a different layer on the same set of pads, and perhaps macro the gain of each layer to avoid having two separate banks.

• @5pinlink said:
    Do we incorporate Tramens too ?

• @tk32 said:
    In case anyone reading this thread is scratching their head regarding @5pinlink's reference to Tramens...

It's a compound contraction of (DJ) Trace and Amen - a special variety of high-passed amen breakage

Right 5pin?

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah, but Trace actually had nothing to do with it, the scummy little pimp stick !!
    It was actually invented by Dom and Trace never even paid him or credited him, A-Hole.

Its Amen+Tighten Up+The Flow officially, but it isnt, it can be made with a ton of elements, Amen with a bunch of cleaner sounds is good enough lol.

• @tk32 said:
    I always assumed it was just a tightly programmed sequence of about 4 of the transients from Amen pitched an octave down (and high-passed), with some off-beat riding cymbals. But yeah, now you mention it I can more clearly hear the hi-hats from Tighten Up

• @tk32 said:
    p.s. (off-topic) it was only recently that I discovered Roland was actually a reference to Dom's trusty sampler, and not his living/breathing partner in production. lol

• edited November 2017

OK up to date, sorry about that, as you were and so on and so forth !!
    (Really wish this forum had thread merge :( )

• Never got in to d'n'b/the Amen thing but I saw these vids when I was learning my Octatrack, maybe some of y'all will dig em if haven't seen before -

Hopefully BM3 will eventually update the sample speed param so it goes from (fully left) reverse> stop (centre) > fwd (fully right).
    Like on OT and the Moog Filtatron app. Missing out on a lot of glitchy sounds/textures with the current limitation...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.