Auto scale & automation take over?

Can someone explain how the auto scale and set scale for for the drum machine tuning section?
Does this work like the 16 levels on an MPC? Where you take 1 sound and it pitches up in scale for 16 pads?

Also, how does the automation takeover work in the record settings page? Will this work like similar to punch in to re-record mistakes?

I've looked in the manual but it doesn't explain either very well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• snicka said:

Can someone explain how the auto scale and set scale for for the drum machine tuning section?
    Does this work like the 16 levels on an MPC? Where you take 1 sound and it pitches up in scale for 16 pads?

Also, how does the automation takeover work in the record settings page? Will this work like similar to punch in to re-record mistakes?

I've looked in the manual but it doesn't explain either very well.

Any ideas?

I think the function you are looking for is when you press the 16 and then tune. Essentially what that does is it gives you 8 semitones below the note and 7 above it.
  • As for the automation takeover, I can't help you with that one brother.
  • snicka said:

Any ideas?

I think the function you are looking for is when you press the 16 and then tune. Essentially what that does is it gives you 8 semitones below the note and 7 above it.
    That's what I thought but I still can't get it to work. I assume you would load a sample in pad 1, then select all the pads, then set your auto scale and apply. That should give you 16 pitches like MPC.
    I've tried tons of different methods and none work. I've looked all over the web and not found anything on auto scale. I've tried copying the same sound to all the pads then selecting all of them and trying to apply the auto scale. All of the notes remain the same.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It would be great to load a bass sound, then select a minor scale and have the auto scale do the rest for me!
  • I don't think you can choose a scale. When you're in "Tune" pad mode, it pitches the sound chromatically across the 16 pads. IIRC, to get into tune mode, tap the [16] icon on the side. While in "Normal" mode, tap a pad to select it, then tap "Tune" mode. Now you can play selected pad chromatically across all 16 pads. If you want to select another pad, go back to "Normal" mode, select the new pad, then tap "Tune" again.

A workaround for playing in key is to use something like Firo, or another MIDI scale app. Then load your bass sample in the keyboard module in BM2, instead of the pads, and enable MIDI input from the scale app. Works well, though you will have to jump back and forth between apps.

I too am hoping that BM3 includes scale features.
  • snicka said:

snicka said:

Any ideas?

That's what I thought but I still can't get it to work. I assume you would load a sample in pad 1, then select all the pads, then set your auto scale and apply. That should give you 16 pitches like MPC.
    I've tried tons of different methods and none work. I've looked all over the web and not found anything on auto scale. I've tried copying the same sound to all the pads then selecting all of them and trying to apply the auto scale. All of the notes remain the same.
    Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? It would be great to load a bass sound, then select a minor scale and have the auto scale do the rest for me!
    No, you are doing it wrong. Just load a sample in pad 1, tap it so it's selected with a yellow outline around it, then look to the left column where you would see various things (like a wave form a, a volume icon, a tuning fork and etc. This is the same column you would go to where you would click the wave form and then see all the options to load a sample, fade in, fade out and etc.). In that left column press the one that looks like a square with the number 16 in it. Then press tune and it would automatically pitch the sample across the pads. One downside of this feature is you don't have much control over the pitches on the pads and they are in semitones and not in notes like A,B,C and etc. but this is the feature you are looking for. Essentially a 16 level mode I think is what other software's call this.
  • No, you are doing it wrong. Just load a sample in pad 1, tap it so it's selected with a yellow outline around it, then look to the left column where you would see various things (like a wave form a, a volume icon, a tuning fork and etc. This is the same column you would go to where you would click the wave form and then see all the options to load a sample, fade in, fade out and etc.). In that left column press the one that looks like a square with the number 16 in it. Then press tune and it would automatically pitch the sample across the pads. One downside of this feature is you don't have much control over the pitches on the pads and they are in semitones and not in notes like A,B,C and etc. but this is the feature you are looking for. Essentially a 16 level mode I think is what other software's call this.

Thanks for the replies guys but we are trying different techniques.
    Your suggestion is to use "Tune" on page 1 in the Live Modes section. Though this is a workaround for what I'm trying to figure out, it's not exactly what I want (though I did use the Live tuning for a show I did a few years ago and it worked quite well)
    What I want to know is how to use the "Auto Scale" function on page 2 in the Tune section. The scale options run from Normal, 1/16, 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, then 1 bar through to 32 bars. It's strange that this section exists but there is no information on how or why it is used. You can select one or multiple pads, then choose a scale mode and press set scale. All it seems to do is pitch 1 of the pads you have selected.

I'm still also trying to figure out how to use the Automation Takeover in the record settings page and not having any luck. I guess Intua are not answering as they are either just waiting for BM3 and I will forget all about these settings or they don't know themselves.
  • edited January 2017
    Hey @snicka !

The auto-scale function lets your pitch any sample (more likely loops) to the current tempo. It's a way to make sure your sample will play for the numbers of bars you select.

Say the current tempo is 120 BPM, you load a 2 bars 90 BPM loop on a pad. Like this, the sample will be too long to play perfectly with the sequencer. By using the auto-scale feature (setting it to 2 bars), the sample pitch will be set automatically so the loop can play 2 bars properly at 120 BPM. Of course, it's not as good as a proper time-stretching, but you get the idea.

Automation takeover works as you describe; if you want to fix an automated parameter, you can enable this mode, turn on recording the redo part of the automation.

By the way, sorry for the late reply !

Cheers,
    Mathieu.
  • edited January 2017
    intua said:

Hey @snicka !

The auto-scale function lets your pitch any sample (more likely loops) to the current tempo. It's a way to make sure your sample will play for the numbers of bars you select.

Say the current tempo is 120 BPM, you load a 2 bars 90 BPM loop on a pad. Like this, the sample will be too long to play perfectly with the sequencer. By using the auto-scale feature (setting it to 2 bars), the sample pitch will be set automatically so the loop can play 2 bars properly at 120 BPM. Of course, it's not as good as a proper time-stretching, but you get the idea.

Automation takeover works as you describe; if you want to fix an automated parameter, you can enable this mode, turn on recording the redo part of the automation.

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Thank you! This works perfectly, I had been trying to figure this out for a long time now.
    I can't wait for BM3!
  • intua said:

Hey @snicka !

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Woah, never really messed with that option but I'll check it out and play with it a lil. Sorry for not understanding you @snicka but glad you got your answer.