The ability to loop samples would open up a new world in BM!

edited August 2008 in General
I was thinking about the way old synths work in relation to beatmaker and realized that by simply allowing the ability to loop our samples, we could do some interesting synthesis techniques. With trackers (which ran pretty well on computers quite slow compared to the iPhone), you could load up a small audio file that was a single wave form, put it on loop, and if was the right length, it would make a little oscillator that sounded according to the shape of the wave (i.e. sine wave, sawtooth, etc.) that reacted properly to semitone pitch shifts (since it just played the waveform faster or slower), so you could have a little synth that way. Add a filter and you have a decent little userwave softsynth. If you could modulate the waveform as you played it, that would be a pretty badass wavetable synthesizer! If we are able to change pitch on the fly with an on screen keyboard as suggested by many users, and they add the option to loop our samples, we immediately have a pretty good little homemade softsynth.

Comments

• edited 11:52PM
    Brilliantly cool!
    I mentioned having looping samples in another post, because not only could you do basic synthesis as mentioned above, but you could trigger a variety of different length pads/atmospheres that would create non-repeating soundscapes that could be played live.

Make it happen!
    This is more or less the way Bhajis Loops works too, loop small portions of samples to make OSC's. +1 from me.
    It would also be cool if the loop synths could be sort of automatically tuned in a similar way to the way the tune "scale to tempo" feature works. You could select what note you wanted, say A440, and that would bring up a "locked zone" in the graphical edit view that was exactly the number of samples needed to create a 440 Hz tone. If it sounded weird and the length of the zone needed to be lengthened to get the whole wave you were trying to use, you could change the locked zone length to a G#, and the note would automatically adjust on the keyboard that controls the pitch so that new "base" note would be G# instead of A. Does that make sense?