Just my comments about the good, the bad and the wanted...

edited August 2008 in General
Hello, this is my first post here. I'm just going to give a review of things that go through my mind when using this nice app.
The pad section reminds me of a MPC, but also an Alesis SR16. I used that machine a lot and some things that are possible with that machine would be very nice additions to Beatmaker.

- Pads should be able to have an option of cutting off the volume/velocity of a selection of other pads while playing. To get a very nice cut-off effect at any desired point in the sample. Would be nice to make a single/group of pad(s) cut an other single/group of pad(s).

- When you are recording and just made a single mistake in a series of pad-hits, it would be nice to have the ability to delete just that single hit or a series of hits. The SR16 had the ability to press and hold the erase/delete button to enter a mode where pressing and if needed holding the desired pad would delete the recorded hits for that pad as long as it was pressed and/or hold. Tapping the pad briefly would just delete a single hit at any desired moment.

- Creating patterns of 32 and maybe even 64 steps would be a nice addition.

- When recording it would be nice to be able to record as long as desired, either by recording until recordings gets stopped manually or recording for the amount of bars set between the Start/Stop markers in the song sequencer.

- The option of changing the quantize value.

- Pitch and Panning control in the Step sequencer window.

- For live performance: Solo and Mute for patterns in the Song sequencer and Solo for (a selection of) Pads in the Pads section. Solo for (a selection of) pads would be nice if you have to mute to many pads in Mute Mode. In recording mode this would be a nice feature if it were possible to record the solo and/or mute events to speed up creation of new variations of recorded bars in a pattern.

- Dynamics in the FX Section

- Automation Section where (all) controls of pattern and pads can be recorded and edited.

- An bug is seen in the groove section of the step sequencer when track names in the bottom are too long and overlap the prev button.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• edited 12:25AM
    Longer loops please! At least make them longer than a bar it's crazy.

Plus automation would be sick

Give me some filters! With a nice XY pad for resonant sweeps haha

It's a cool little program I'm glad I can watch it grow
  • edited 12:25AM
    Pads should be able to have an option of cutting off the volume/velocity of a selection of other pads while playing. To get a very nice cut-off effect at any desired point in the sample. Would be nice to make a single/group of pad(s) cut an other single/group of pad(s).
    Totally agree... This must be one single most annoying limitation of Beatmaker.