MIDI controllers don't work?

edited November 2011 in Support
Hi, i can't connect my midi controllers to beatmaker 2. I have korg microkey and nanopad, both working well in garageband, but i can't figure out how to make them work with beatmaker...(Setup:both connected via powered hub to CCK) i've read the manual and tried different settings, both devices light up when connected and no error message is displayed, then i've tried to mess up with midi settings in order to have them play but can't get it out. Any help would be much apprecieted. Thanks

Comments

• Hello,

Make sure the OMNI mode is set in the transport bar, then open a keyboard sampler and load an instrument.
    Also please make sure that the keys you play are on the right octave, as the instrument may not have samples loaded on particular key ranges.

Hope this helps,
    Colin
  • edited 4:49AM
    Hi, thank u for the reply, but yes, as i said i've tried different settings. OMNI on off, channels etc. with powered hub or directly attached to the CCK. The strange thing is that they work without problem or setting with garageband and sunrizer synth so i don't understand...

Could someone provide a detailed workthrough of the setting up process please?
    I'm having the same issues. Garage Band and other iOS MIDI apps work fine, but not BeatMaker 2. I'm using an M-Audio Keystation 61 ES MIDI out of the keyboard and into the camera connection kit. Nothing. I am also trying to use a Roland PK-5 through a MIDI to USB adapter into the camera connection kit. I have also tried setting the MIDI channels in the app in addition to simply using Omni mode. I sure hope this is stupidity on my part. I'd hate to think that I just wasted $20. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    I have issues as well, but I simply do this.... it's worth a try...

I plug in my keyboard, start BM2 (make sure omni is on) play, and often nothing happens. I then close BM2, double click the button and REALLY close BM2. Then restart BM2 and everything works.........

This works for me at least, hope that perhaps it will help someone else.....
    hey guys. is anybody having a problem wit their mpk mini? i cant play the drums in beatmaker on the pads but i can play the instruments. can someone inform me of a solution to this?
    hey guys. is anybody having a problem wit their mpk mini? i cant play the drums in beatmaker on the pads but i can play the instruments. can someone inform me of a solution to this?

Looks like I have exactly the same issue with my MPD32, works in keyboard mode but not drum pads. Looks like we got a problem right here, support please?
    Would appreciate some feedback on this, a good number of users are asking questions. Thanks
    Hi,

The drum machine mapping starts at midi note C-2 (the lowest note possible). You should set your MPD32 to the lowest octave in order to play the drum pads. You can also probably program the pads to start sending note at midi note 0 (C-2) from their setup program.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Hi Colin,

Thanks for the response, starting at note 0 it works with MPD32.

music makin just got real mobile!!

i've been busy on the touchpad already, but a keyboard and some keys will take it up a notch...

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m -->

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href=" m -->

Tx Guys
    EK
    Truly appreciate the response cuz i was definitely ready to give up and just use garageband or nanostudio since i couldnt figure out what the problem was. Now i can chop.
    The mpk mini sucks with beatmaker 2 as aportable keyboard with the ipad 2.
  • What's up People, I've been using the AKAI LPK25 via usb and camera kit for a month now just fine, but today it's not working(after just using it 3 or 4 days ago).....any thoughts???? Thanks
    Hi,

your iPad may not power up correctly your MIDI controller if your battery is getting low. Try plugging your MIDI controller to an USB hub (or external power if your controller has it) before plugging it in your iPad.

Cheers,
    Colin
  • It seems to be working now after I turned my iPad1 all the way off, and back on again. AKAI LPK25 will work with BM2, it didn't seem to work with iPad2 though.
    well i purchased the korg nanokey2 and it works great with the drums in beatmaker2(setting the octave to lowest key) as well as the instruments. i also purchased the nanopad2 which i haven't figured out yet to work with the beatmaker 2 pads but I'm editing the info as we speak. will keep you posted.
    well i purchased the korg nanokey2 and it works great with the drums in beatmaker2(setting the octave to lowest key) as well as the instruments. i also purchased the nanopad2 which i haven't figured out yet to work with the beatmaker 2 pads but I'm editing the info as we speak. will keep you posted.

Let me know how it goes as I might get one tomorrow! THX
    ok so i have the nano key set straight but i can't get the nano pad setup cuz it only goes as low as c-1. are there any other alternatives to this? please inform me. not really sure how to send 0 as a note. do u mean as a program change?
    @Eleckain...the nanokey 2 works with the beatmaker 2 drum pads and the keyboard. so if i can't get the nano pad to work before the night is over I'm just gonna rock with the nano key and replace the nano pad with maybe an mpd18 or just get the nanokontrol 2.
    Damn, I dont see why nanopad2 should not be workin? its more portable than mpd18 and works without power supply, please check and let me know, looking to head to the shop in 12 hours to buy one!! Hope you get it to work.
    well i can't get nanopad2 to work with the pads in beatmaker2 but they work for garageband. I've tried diff settings and nothing.
    Have you tried configuring the pads to hit the right notes on nanopad2? MPD32 works for me but I had to program it...
    Went out an picked up the NanoPad2, works with BM2 and Camera Connection kit, no USB Hub Required

Download the Korg Kontrol Editor, it allows you to change the PAD Assigments which Korg refers to as scenes & download link below for all 4 scenes (or banks in MPC terms) configured to work with BM2 Drum Maschine

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.mediafire.com/?56u6i2wgzumdwpm">http://www.mediafire.com/?56u6i2wgzumdwpm</a><!-- m -->
  • hyphyp
    edited 4:49AM
    i'm having problems with my akai MPC 2500. i've got everything MIDI'd over wifi however, i can only play notes from BeatMaker 2's synths. i cannot trigger the drum pads. i've tried re-assigning notes and still have problems.

any plans to give us the ability to assign whatever note we want to a pad on BeatMaker 2?
  • Hi,

Pads start responsding at MIDI Note C-2 (lowest possible note). You should configure your controller to the lowest octave if you want to control Drum Machine's Bank A.

Cheers,
    Colin
  • hyphyp
    unfortunately the mpc 2500 pads can't be configured in the range you specify. hopefully there will be further customization in the future.
    Could you use midi bridge to map/translate the notes?
  • hyphyp
    thanks for the idea eleckain. haven't downloaded midi bridge yet but might as well since it'll be useful with the next update.