Slide note and tb303

edited November 2011 in Support
Hello Intua team,

Beatmaker2 is a great tool for mobile music production.

Nevertheless I did not find the way to slide certains notes like in a tb303 baseline...
Please would you mind helping me ?

Kind regards,
Serge

Comments

• edited 4:54AM
    I believe this is what you want?

Set the instrument (keyboard) to monophonic and adjust the glide time.
    Hello,

That is what I tried ...but it does not work ... I tried it with "analog bass" and "moog bass"..

Moreover, like in a TB303, as I wanted to add a slide effect for some notes, and not for other..
    I tweaked the portamento effect in the sampler edit mode for some notes and not for others..

but that did not work either ...

Best regards,
    Serge
  • Hi Serge,

You can use the monophonic mode and adjust the glide time to create a sliding effect. However, this setting is applied to all notes, not to individual ones.

Cheers,
    Colin
    Hi

I know this post is a little older but after reading it I felt like you only got part of the solution. Hopefully you figured this out already, but in case you didn't or maybe others will find this info helpful.

As the other posts mentioned you want to use monophonic and Adjust the portamento but the other part of the equation is how you program the midi.

The 303 sequencer is a very different beast from modern sequencers, which automates some tasks for you (slide, accent) but you can get a convincing affect in BM2 (or any DAW) because they are much more flexible and powerful.

The notes should never overlap unless you want a slide. That's how you slide on only specific notes. The slide on a 303 creates a long note unless you change key, if you want a held note in BM2 just draw a longer note (1/2 note instead of 1/4 note).

Creating the accent can be done by increasing the velocity of specific notes in automation. So if you have 4 notes in a bar playing you set the first note to 100% velocity and the other 3 to 80%.

Finally the 303 not only gets louder on accent but it opens the filter as well to allow more frequencies through (makes the sound brighter). On many synths and samplers you can map velocity to modulate the filter cutoff but I'm not sure BM2 does that (it may I'm still learning how to use it). but it's an easy enough work around, just edit the cutoff automation to open the filter like you did with velocity. So working on the prior example you would set the cutoff on the first note to 100% open and the other notes to 80%.

For a more sh101 style acid sound, set the env filter to a slow attack and tun the filter env on and set the attack to a little a few millisecs so it will open on sustained notes.

To finish up your going to have to play around with eq to get a good squelchy tone.

Apply fx to taste..

There of course are any number of other ways to accomplish this but this is my method.