Mixing and Mastering

edited March 2014 in Support
BM2 Jedi Council,

I need your sage advice and opinions on what tools you use for mastering and mixing both on and off iOS. Would love a decent final mixing platform but am struggling to find one that gives high quality outputs. I've been using Auria to date with a bunch of Pro filters added but I'm getting distorted mixdowns. Would love to do this in BM2 but it's unfortunately lacking the graphical interfaces to make redline elimination a fine art.

Would love to hear what everyone else uses out there...

Comments

• Hi Rusty,

I've tried a few combinations, tracking out to auri with plugins is one. Another is using audio bus, then auxfx:PeakQ as FX slot and recoring to audiomaster. Somethimes I then take that into ableton for final tweaking
  • I've been using BM2 and Auria also since 1st generation iPad. I haven't had any issues with the quality of mix downs. It's been working so well for me that I hardly open Logic unless it's for an older project. I would suggest double checking the mixes through headphones, and monitors for any sign of distortion or glitches, and also monitor the output levels. I tend to make my mix down levels a little low because you can always add more gain later.
  • Are you mixing to a peak of -3db (ceiling) and then applying you mastering to hit -.1? If not you are going to want to try that technique possibly?
  • I find it gives great results, not that I would recommend mastering to anything but a mastering engineer who is NOT subject to the material being mastered
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I made a rash decision but one I surprisingly haven't regretted - I ditched Auria, Audacity and every other tool for mixing and have spent the last few months simply mixing in BM2 and I must say I've never been happier with the results. Others may not have experienced this, but I've always found that my songs in BM2 sound rich and full until I export them and mix them in something else where I find I lose a very subtle loss of quality. After some experimentation I found I've been simply suffering from some very mixed up high and low frequencies and over zealous delays. Once I got these under control everything has been working out fine. I haven't touched Auria in months now and have finally found I've settled on one single app for everything - Beatmaker 2.

Once again, I've fallen in love with this app. There'll always be improvements that could help on any DAW but this one is hitting the mark on the most cylinders and I'm getting some serious work done as a result.

Thank you Intua.
  • i dont know how you are doing this @rusty
    as the effects are garbage and the faders are like 10mm lmao...
    I find the sound quality of beatmaker is dwarfed by impc (embarrassing)
    there are no mastering effects available in beatmaker2 at all...none

if bm2 can do this for you...you'd be a pure master with CAUSTIC 3
  • mixing to -3db and then sending the stereo track to auria will yield way higher results in the hands of engineer. ProQ, ProC, ProL
  • Audio Mastering w/ bm2 case closed.
  • @thesavage you kill me...the case isnt closed just because you post it...I stand by the fact that a Professional mastering engineer wouldnt even consider BM2 for mastering at all...Katz would laugh in your face
  • and by Katz I mean Bob...
  • It's good enough for 70% of BM users. Maybe not epic radio quality, But definitely not bad with the Audio Mastering app. Anything serious would be taken to a professional mix/master.
  • Hopefully they implement a new compressor, limiter, eq (10 band with fine q), and a spectral booster with fft metering
  • Where in the heck did you pull 70% from your butt...butt numbers
  • I can do better mastering with fabfilter plugs and auria...but that's the plugs I use on my daw as well
  • Because 70% of BM user don't know or give a fuck who kats or bob is. Prove me wrong.
  • So if 70% of bm user don't know who Bob Kats is, this is a good thing? Wow. It amazes me how you are a promoter for mediocrity and shit mixing...which is really the problem with music anymore and the toilet it should be flushed down.

I encourage you to actually prove me wrong as well...
    Beatmaker is a tool i use and I want it to be as good as it can be! For some reason you have a problem with this? If you are fine with how beatmaker is at version 2, simply just don't purchase beatmaker3
  • I stand by the fact that there is no way, mastering on bm2 versus mastering on auria would indeed be feasible to anyone serious about sound. The eq on bm2 wouldn't begin to touch ProQ and that is just one stage. Do not be misled folks, this mastering on bm2 is not for real at all.
  • Prove me wrong
  • edited July 2014
    wtf is wrong with you. Read what i wrote.

"Maybe not epic radio quality, But definitely not bad with the Audio Mastering app. Anything serious would be taken to a professional mix/master."

"Audio Mastering app"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/audio-mastering/id640515541?mt=8

not trying to master directly with BM.....idiot...Proved you wrong.
  • Earlier you was like mastering bm2 case closed, remember?
    Forgetful ass
    Yes i seen that you was throwing audiomastering app in there yuck, auria is still better for the task on a mobile platform.
    My problem is you are an absolute fun argument, in which others can be educated on both sides...so
    Its actually entertaining and beneficial...win/win
    Idiot? Hardly. Dont judge me! Pushy insistant impatient and moody is more definite!
    I am sure that whatever beatmaker3 is, it wont be beat by impc pro in any way! That is
    Also a good thing! :)
  • Ps. You Didnt prove me wrong, you changed your stance publically from mastering is possible in beatmaker 2 to you need another app
    Or so to accomplish this, think u didnt? read the thread again! I still stand by bm2 is not a mastering capable app in any way shape or form! Its barely a daw honestly! It still is greatly ruined by lack of effects quality and no iaa effects in the bus, with "a shitty 1980's gui that is very un touch worthy on its sad little effects that cant save presets"

Its tragic that fabfilter proq exists on ios and then we move back to the eq on bm2...dont think this is true try it...eq on proq in auria, then come back to that ratchet in bm2 you be upset!
  • Never once did i say, master directly in BM....f'n Goofball

"changed your stance publically from mastering is possible in beatmaker 2 to you need another app"
  • thesavage June 16
    Audio Mastering w/ bm2 case closed.
  • Fitting "case closed" :) enjoy
  • Audio Mastering is the name of an app: http://audio-mastering-studio.blogspot.com/2013/05/about.html

It's a good one, too.
  • Lol MicGee$ just put your pride aside and apologize for misunderstanding him like a real man would. He meant an app named Audio Mastering which is one I was looking into for a minute now and that's how I know what he was talking about though he wasn't super clear. Sadly I don't have as much time to create as I used to so I probably won't get that app or maybe I will get it sometime in the future.
  • Thanks you. and yes the Audio Mastering app is wroth it.

• If it means this much I apologize to thesavage, I will...thesavage I am sorry. Now can we move on to other things, like useful debate. Ty.