Op-1/BM3 audio interface

Peeps,

2 weeks ago I posted a request for some help. I was looking for an audio interface to use with BM3 and my OP-1 and I wanted record the output of the op-1 directly to BM3 using a small unit. Many people responded with suggestions and I would like to thank the community for their help.

For some reason I’m unclear on, my account on this forum was deleted by Intua (I don’t think it was intended, I just got caught up in some suspicious logins) along with the threads and comments.

Anyway, I went for the Zoom u22. It really does suit my needs. It’s a little more bulky than I would have liked, but it delivers everything I wanted. And the sound quality is amazing.

Using it with BM3 was extremely simple, the app immediately recognised the u22 and was available to select.

Thanks to those that gave me advice. Anyone have any questions about the Zoom U22 I will try to answer.

Cheers

Comments

• Yeah I was wondering about that thread, it had a lot of good info, wish we could get it back somehow.

I tried my little device with a proper cable, turns out I had a bitcrusher effect on the main out I forgot which is why it sounded so garbage :flushed: I really with the fx icon would light up if there were active fx on the mixer channel.

Anywho the quality was ok for such a little thing, it clips a lot sooner than a proper audio device and is mono only but for ultra portability it works.

I spent a lot of time last night looking for something the same size but with a 3.5mm stereo in, but I don't think it exists. The closest thing seems to be the griffin imic which has a stereo input (line/mic level switch as well), but I don't really need it

The zoom looks pretty great, glad you found something!

• I havent deleted that thread, so maybe it got deleted when your previous account got hacked maybe ?
  • Really, why/when/how did my account get hacked?
  • @5pinlink - How do you know the account was hacked?
  • @dizzy I’ve only had a short play with the u22 but I am excited about the sound quality and recording audio directly from the op-1 to BM3 is really easy. I’ll try to test it more tomorrow but so far I am really happy with it. :) :)
  • @cstep333 you said suspicious log ins, that can only happen on a hacked account surely ?

• @5pinlink - I’ve been having trouble logging into my account for a few days, spoke to intua about it and they sorted my account. Was informed it was to do with spam accounts. Then some days later it was deleted, along with the posts and comments.

I live in China so this may have something to do with my login problems.

Can’t think why someone would hack my account and do nothing with the account!

Anyway, whether it’s a china thing, a spambot issue, or hacked accounts on the Forum, I just wanted to post a message of thanks to the community members that helped with my question.
  • That Zoom u22 looks decent. Not really in the market for an interface but if I do get one it'll be on my list.

• A further update.

Zoom u22
    Works with out battery or dedicated wall wort if using the Apple cck with lightning Apple power supply. :) :)

Using trs is stereo with gain control.
    LINE IN is stereo no gain control.

If the BM3 audio channel has fx, the recorded audio has the fx. You record what you hear in the headphones. Makes for some really interesting sounds and loops. :p

For me, the u22, op-1 and BM3 are the holy trinity of a mobile studio.
  • If you want to record dry without the effects, you create two audio tracks, one with the effects, one without, you listen to the one with effects and only record the one without ;)

• @5pinlink cool, thanks for the tip.
  • Poking around for black friday stuff I saw this https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/LINE-2-USB/p/P0BBP

You'd still need an adaptor for the 3.5mm op-1 but seems like it would do the trick. Of course I saw it just after I placed an order but if i see one out and about i might get it to give it a go

• @dizzy said:
    Poking around for black friday stuff I saw this https://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Computer-Audio/Audio-Interfaces/LINE-2-USB/p/P0BBP

You'd still need an adaptor for the 3.5mm op-1 but seems like it would do the trick. Of course I saw it just after I placed an order but if i see one out and about i might get it to give it a go

Dean from Electronisounds did a video on that LINE-2-USB.....

• Oh nice, thanks I think I have even seen that one but forgot about it. Looks like a good option

• @cstep333

Hey, how are you finding your set up with the zoom, op-1 and BM3? It’s been about a month since your last post on this subject. I am picking up a used op-1 on Wednesday and I’m pretty excited. I think I’ve been debating buying one for like 4 years now lol. Did you have to get a 3.5 mm adaptor for the connection as well?

• @NoirFlux

Yeah, sorry I haven’t provided an update sooner. Got to say the op1/Zoom/BM3 is a great setup. I would feel guilty for not having the musical ability to really push it to the fullest, but I’m having too much fun. :p

I do have the camera connection kit as well as the USB lightning adaptor. This suits me for both power situations - wall wort connection or battery powered. I do have a 3.5mm to TRS cable and this works fine for getting sounds into BM3. The Zoom works seamlessly with BM3, just choose an audio track and select the input, arm audio and record. I’ve also picked up an rca to 3.5mm to record back into the op-1 for further sampling and sound manipulation but I’ve not had chance to play with that yet.

If I plug the op-1 directly into the iPad I can use the op-1 USB midi functions to control other apps, for example the arpeggiator in the op-1 can control iSEM or Zeeon.

All in all I can say this is the idea setup for me. The one thing I would like to do is control BM3 using the Op-1, for example adjusting the automation parameters. I’m sure this can be done but I’ve yet to figure this out.

Hope this helps, you won’t regret the op-1 purchase and with the Zoom its the perfect companion to BM3.
  • Thought I would share a photo of my coffee shop studio.
  • @cstep4444 Great set up! thanks for the information. I already have a Komple Audio 6 sound card I use for everything. I was planning on getting the 3.5 mm adapter to use it with the op-1 to record into BM3. I think I will consider a zoom in the future for more mobile work.

I was wondering, if I wanted to sample sounds from my iphone directly into the op-1, I could just plug a 3.5 mm cable to both of them and hit record? I think this could be a great set up for me when I am working on music during my lunch breaks :)

• edited December 2017

Gotta wonder how many of these they would have shifted if it was a class compliant interface, I would have definitely bought one.
    As it was I went with the X-key air 25 for portable, and its kick ass to be fair.

• 5pinlink said:

Gotta wonder how many of these they would have shifted if it was a class compliant interface, I would have definitely bought one.
    As it was I went with the X-key air 25 for portable, and its kick ass to be fair.

Op-1 still seems to sell out everywhere, it’s a great little unit and I am so pleased I have it, even more pleased that I can hook it up to the iPad/BM3 with minimal fuss.

The forthcoming op-Z looks interesting, a different animal for sure, as is the X-key Air, but I’m encouraged by the support these companies are giving to the iPad music-making community. It’s great to see the innovation.

• NoirFlux said:

I was wondering, if I wanted to sample sounds from my iphone directly into the op-1, I could just plug a 3.5 mm cable to both of them and hit record?
    I’m not sure about this. I have all my sounds on the iPad, I sample to op-1 via the Zoom. I have the iPhone7, there’s no 3.5mm out so haven’t tried this. I’m sure I saw something on YouTube about this. If I come across the link again I will post to the forum.
  • @StudioES thanks for the tip and instructions. I’ll give this a try soon. Cheers 
  • @cstep4444 I got it  :) :) :). I'm so pumped it's not even funny lmao. Only had 4 hours of sleep yesterday! Smaller and lighter than I thought but perfect travel companion. I was easily able to sample my iPhone into the op-1 with a regular headphone cord. Today I am going to test using it with the iPad, I want to use the op-1arps to control some apps 
  • edited December 2017
    Op-1 arps/sequencers > BM3 = secret sauce ;) super fast/convenient for finding unexpected beats and melodic patterns. Midi AU will probably cover same ground pretty soon tho. Possibly sell my op1 then depending how it all feels in use...

Edit - would be a reluctant sale, big op1 fan, but more and more I'm only using it as a (very expensive...) iPad controller so if midi AU + BM3 pans out I'd prob get more use from selling and grabbing something else... This is after two years of kinda exhausting the op1 'sound' while recording a couple LPs tho. Kinda burnt myself out on the synths/sampler/fx. If I was to get one now for first time I'd be all over it! Killer piece of gear :) 
  • @Heyez I had a blast using it in BM3 last night. Everything is so fluid. I left my ipad at home today so just going to learn more about op-1. 
  • @NoirFlux yeah op1 and BM3 partner up great! The op1 Endless/Finger sequencers and the Arpeggiator fill a big gap currently in BM3 for me. Really fast/fun workflow for finding unexpected results :) 
  • Has anyone tried using bluetooth audio transmitters? was thinking could plug external gear audio out into a bt transmitter, then see if it can be routed into BM. Latency might be an issue but I use bt midi now and then and latency is not noticeable with BT 4.1/4.2 devices I think.

The problem with the Behringer cable thing is you can't monitor as it would take up the input on the ipad, so no headphones.

• BT MIDI is very small amounts of data, BT Audio is large amounts, latency on BT Audio is not going away anytime soon (BT MIDI is awesome by the way)