What are you strong points musically?

edited November 2017 in General

I'm quite good at making beats and chords I reckon. My weak points are basslines and leads which I think require good skill. Over to you guys.

Comments

• I've always been fine with melodic stuff, utterly terrible with beats. I use an elektron rytm now, its really my only bit of external gear and I am boned without it.

• edited November 2017

I have always felt that my melodic content was not as strong as I would like it to be. I've been using an app called "Chord Poly Pad" lately to help get better chord progressions inside of BM3 which is definitely helping my melodic content. B)

edit: lol - that is not a strong point...
    My Stong points would be producing, mixing and rhythm I think.

• I think I’m good with drums and incorporating strange sounds lol but my transitions/build-ups need some work

• I've always wanted to make dubstep but it always tends to suck. I've been so heavily influenced by progressive house and trance over the years that my music always naturally gravitates to that and with Gadget and BM3 I'm finally tapping into that pro sound. I'm still waiting for the bugs to get worked out in both apps but especially BM3 before fully diving in. I also need to upgrade my storage and cpu power. Irregardless, my strength is in that and so that's what I'm going with more passionately than before. Trance in my opinion is a bit of a dead genre these days because of producers using samples and vst presets and just trying to churn out filler for the clubs and podcasts but the classic stuff up until the mid 2000s has a certain something that has a euforic drug like effect and certain songs I just can't tire from listening to. I'd like to merge modern techno with progressive house and trance eventually but that would require a lot of sound processing and practice that I'm only just beginning to dabble in. BM3 was like big missing chunk of the map for me, (Force Awakens reference.)
  • I really wish I was better at basslines and leads. I just struggle with timing. :neutral:

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:
    @The_Bro try setting a scale on your pads and use quantise setting. Say around 1/16. That should help with timing and sequencing bass lines with a melody that works in scale.

Don't really have a problem with the chords once I've got a sequence laid down. :smile: Its getting a decent bass riff with 32nd notes (ala a bit of swing) in it to get a real nice groove going that I struggle with. :neutral:

• @The_Bro

Swing quantise is coming in BM3 v3.0.4

It means you can record with 1/16th note quantise enabled, than apply some syncopation/shuffle to the rhythm with a few taps.

It's a trick I often use in Cubasis (which already has this feature)

Time to upgrade yet??
  • @tk32 he has posted that his wife’s iPad has bm3 purchased, and he stopped asking about how to get to the family sharing purchases, but I think he’s still latched onto the bm2 workflow. Seems like the 3.0.4 update might be what he needs to finally ease into the new hotness, what with all the improvements and the bm2 project support in bm3 =)

• Somewhat depressing and stilted, late 90s/early 2000s made for tv low budget mystery magic show teckno trip hawp, with the tiniest dash of what I think is surreal or quirky that no one would ever want to listen to. Truly horrible crap. I’m really good at that stuff.

• edited November 2017
    Strength:
    I’m a music theory wizard and can weave a composition through a rich and nuanced ocean of Harmonic currents. Being a bass player who’s done a lot of work with extended technique bass playing (mainly bass and melody together..), I’m pretty good at tying together melody & bass intelligently through harmony (most composition is just a counterpoint of melody and bass with texture in the middle), groove (how it all fits together rhythmically).. etc etc, basically I’m a massive music geek and learned to apply a lot of theory in practise.

Weakness:
    Having spent the first 15 years of my musical life as a session musician/performer, I tend to just jam around and only put together full tracks when I have a specific performance date that I need repertoire for. In the ‘iOS age’ I basically build up an awesome setup, jam for hours a day, get really good, performance date coming up, make repertoire & perform, take a short break from it and the paradigm shifts forward in the gap, rinse and repeat.

Looking forward to getting playing my basses again (had a bad forearm injury that put me out for over a year). Having an instrument which doesn’t have an update cycle will be a good creative ‘glue’.