Breakbeat #1 - Amen Brother - The Winstons

Comments

• Watched the first video but Breakcore really annoys me, so the other two will have to wait haha.
    Personally i think all glitches should be done manually to be tighter than a ducks ass, using parameter automation always sounds forced and off beat to me (again this is all personal, not disrespecting anybodies wants or needs for BM3)

• edited November 2017

Let us not forget the amen is obviously great for old school hip hop beats, not just jungle and breakcore =) although I am mainly interested in the jungle side of things. Sample speed that goes from reverse to forward (all in one, midi controllable) would definitely be awesome, though!

• edited November 2017
    Deleted
  • To be fair, for Breakcore nothing compares to a tracker.

@ronji it is one of my least favourite HipHop breaks to be honest, it just works better fast lol

• edited November 2017

Sweet, looking forward to copying some of that stuff over to the simple Jungle kit :)
    Sounds really good !!

• I'm a fan of amen programming that still sounds human. Ie, something that could have been played by the Winstons drummer.

It's why I'm not a big fan of pitching individual hits up and down, or doing inhuman rolls and trills (like you find in breakcore)

Having said this, my demo did have some reversed hits - so I'm a bit of a hypocrite ;)

• thanks, y'all! @tk32 I'm also a fan of human amen programming, but also a huge fan of crazy jungle mangling! breakcore goes too far for my tastes. your "mostly human" amen demo was awesome =)

• Thanks all, I learned quite a bit from this thread, playing with the upload and the alternate loop trick. @ronji, will the updated version also be available?
  • edited November 2017

Sorry, @bleep and whoever else might have downloaded the bank from the link in the first post between last night and just now. I thought I updated the link, but I think I just shared the session I was working in, and I don’t know if it contained all the necessary samples. That said, I believe the link will download the updated version of the bank now! Btw so far I’ve done all of the editing and whatnot inside BM3. Take a look at the modulations on pads 34-36, and edit them to adjust the pitch effects if you’d like.

• Nice work. You will henceforth be known as 'Don' Ronji
  • Ill update the resources thread, i will create a forum dropbox tomorrow and start versioning anything we create @ronji, so people can easily tell if they are up to date ;)

• edited November 2017
    @ronji can we get a rename on your kit ?
    I'm going to do a quick video on housekeeping vis a vis the forum resources.
    So basically the 'Forum' folder in the browser will match the resources stickies at the forum, So its dead easy to see if you have everything up to date.

Example...
    In my browser i have created this folder structure...
    Forum/Breakbeats/Amen Brother
    In side that folder we currently have two folders...
    AB - Jungle Kit 1_1
    Amen
    Would it be ok if when i set up the forum dropbox in a bit that i rename your kit to AB - Ronji Kit 1.1, so that we have these two folders...
    AB - Jungle Kit 1_1
    AB - Ronji Kit 1_1

If we can start to get resources all named and listed well, it makes for a much tidier folder to browse.

The versioning helps knowing if a particular resource is up to date.
  • edited November 2017

that sounds good to me! I'll get the kit renamed and reuploaded today.

• @ronji you will have to create the same forum folder structure in your browser too, or i can resave again before uploading to the forum dropbox, either way its only a directory search and resave anyway :)
  • Updated the first post with the new link to v1.1! I created the folders, but they don't do anything for me yet until I move stuff into them. The way I share a bank is selecting the bank in the browser and then tapping share at bottom right. This makes a zip of the bank file with a folder containing the samples. Whenever someone imports this, it'll go into the imports directory, and from there if they want to save the bank they can choose where to save it. Should we go through a different share process that includes the folder structure? And does that even work?

• edited November 2017

Oh the way i do it is this...
    1 Open the bank folder so that you can see the bank and samples folder.
    2 Press edit and select the bank and the sample folder.
    3 Press Zip
    4 Upload to dropbox
    5 Delete Zip

Then when they save the dropbox link to their dropbox, they can just....
    1 Open browser and go to documents
    2 Browse to Forum/Breakbeats/Amen Brother
    3 Download from dropbox
    4 Unzip

I have created a forum dropbox account with the same file structure in too, so if you PM the link to the file, I can upload it to the forum dropbox, and then update all the relevant posts, does that sound reasonable ?
    Or i can share the dropbox folders with anybody doing resources if they want ?

• edited November 2017

Ok so we are sharing the same stuff but in a different way. When you tap a bank and tap share, it zips and you have the option to save to Dropbox, so I think it’s less steps. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something regarding the folder structure, but it seems it’s really up to the person downloading as to how they save the data. I hadn’t considered browsing Dropbox from the custom folder, though, but that requires you to have the zip saved to your own Dropbox, which I admittedly haven’t been doing. I generally go to the shared resource link, export, open in Dropbox, and it’s in imports, then I save it to wherever from there.

• So you are sharing a dropbox link without having it on your own dropbox ?
    So what dropbox is going on to ?
    It has to be on somebodies dropbox to be sharable doesn't it ?

• Im gonna do a video of my way of doing it, can you do a video of your way too, im at a loss for how you are sharing a dropbox link without it being in dropbox, that could save a ton of hassle.

• Nevermind, just had a look, i get what you mean now, just export and then open in.
    I will do a video of both ways of importing ;)

• Haha yeah, sorry, I’m sharing whatever I have to share via my own Dropbox account linked on my iPad. I mean if I’m downloading stuff from my own Dropbox into bm3, I can do that right into whatever folder I want, but when it comes to stuff others are sharing from their Dropbox accounts, I typically don’t save that to my Dropbox, I just export it from the share link and do open in > bm3, and it all gets extracted to the imports directory. Then it’s up to me to organize it if I want to keep it in my collection in bm3

• Yeah both ways take about the same amount of time in terms of housekeeping, so its worth doing both routes in this video, i will fire the video at you in a sec when i record it, see if it makes sense if thats ok ?

I will tidy all this crap out this thread when we are done too hahaha.

• Sounds good haha

• @Heyez said: Hopefully BM3 will eventually update the sample speed param so it goes from (fully left) reverse> stop (centre) > fwd (fully right).
    Like on OT and the Moog Filtatron app. Missing out on a lot of glitchy sounds/textures with the current limitation...

WHOA! That sounds so dope!
    I very much need "a lot of glitchy sounds/textures"

This is a feature that the Octatrack has? I've not had any gear that could do that - I WANT!
    :#

• @ronji said:
    Updates

:o
    (where's my APPLAUSE emoji!?!)
    +1 for a whopping load of new emoji's added to the forum so I can properly convey my enthusiasm for this supah-dope-shizzle! - lol

• ;)
    If all functions on the sampler page were midi assignable or modulatable (reverse) we could set a macro/fader/knob or two to get a similar effect

• edited July 2019

• I'm so glad I insulted your last Amen kit.

It was a risky gamble.. but this is exactly how I was hoping you'd respond.

Lovely!
  • I was bored waiting for what turned out to be the worst phone in the history of the planet, people actually buy iPhones, WTF !!!!! 150mb max app size, what year is this exactly ?
    I'm glad its not mine POS.

So yeah anyway, if i get round to finishing it i'll release it out ;)