Cubasis 2.3 - AUv3 automation added

edited November 2017 in General
Thought you all might be interested in this..

Cubasis has just updated to version 2.3

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cubasis-music-production-system/id583976519?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

Among other updates, they have finally added full AUv3 automation. It'll be interesting to see how this works in comparison to BM3.

They've also added a bunch of Waves effects IAPs (Q10, L1 & channel strip), and finally... the ability to save custom effect presets.

The release notes also suggest they have added an independent preset / state saving system for AUv3 instruments and effects (unless I've misunderstood).. though I'll need to install and test this to confirm.

T

Comments

• edited November 2017

The presetting looks interesting, I will update at some point to check that out, but I am not going to comment on the inclusion of that Waves stuff.

For what it’s worth, I still think if Intua support presets in the browser it will be the be all and end all.

• Ha. Of course, now I'm very curious to know your opinions on the Waves IAPs.

If the bundle price is reasonable I was considering a purchase. (Haven't checked the price yet)
  • edited November 2017

£8 each or £20 the bundle I think, they have done it to have “a name” IAP.
    Over at AB people screaming how cheap it is compared to desktop, Waves plugins rotate in perpetual sales, especially the out of date ones, you could pick these up for 10-20 each on a regular basis, and re sell them whenever you want (not so cheap now) oh last year they gave away Audiotrack at one point haha.
    The only named IAPs worth having are in Audio Evolution Toneboosters, the guy behind those invented a ton of the DSP routines used in nearly all the audio software we use, when they say “He wrote the book” in his case it is literal.

What would be a bit special, Chris at Air Windows will start to open source his plugins when he reaches 800 on his patreon, and he’s already at 700, and that is another guy that basically makes the best plugins you can get, 100 more a month and we get Intua to port his plugins, shits over, it really is !!

• Oh and Chris plugins have no UI, they will be a piece of cake to port ;)

• edited November 2017

Oh yeah the spyware thing, I forgot about that app (Stopped using Waves a long time ago) oh and there was the DSP stealing from that guy on the Scope platform, that was pretty rude too haha, good company hahaha.

It’s annoying for one major reason though, Yamaha (makers of Cubasis) released one of the greatest channel strips and a vocal rack and a pitch fixer ala auto tune for free years ago with the 01x, those ported over would have been something to get excited about.

Oh just in case somebody gets the wrong impression here, I love Cubasis, it’s a quality bit of kit, but the IAPs are a joke.

• I would argue about BM3 not being a DAW, it only needs audio clip start point and so on on the timeline and it is up there (for me personally that is)
    Oh buses too haha.

• edited November 2017
    Routing insert and send effects is much easier when you are able to create sub-mix buses.

For example, compressing a drums/percussion sub-group that consists of multiple channels. It also makes mixer gain fading a tad easier when you can automate one fader for everything on the bus. There are many other advantages too.

ATM, only Auria property offers this functionality on iOS, but you can sort of hack it in BM3 now we have pre-fader sends.

To do this in BM3 you need to reserve one of the 2 AUX channels. Simply send everything you want grouped to the AUX, cut the fader on the original channel, then enable pre fader sends to ensure the signal reaches the AUX. Now you can add a compressor insert in the aux to simulate a mixer bus.
  • Yeah currently the only bussing we have is the bank bus, but even if you used that to bus a bunch of synths, all those synths would need to be in the same pattern and you are now back in to creating one ridiculously long pattern and doing all you arranging inside the single pattern.
    That will be fixed when they implement individual MIDI tracks.

But there is no bussing at all of sends or audio tracks, personally I think just allowing audio routing to pads is the most simple elegant solution for this, and kills a ton of birds with one stone.
    A lot of people will never want bussing, so having it this way it is unobtrusive.

• @5pinlink said:

But there is no bussing at all of sends or audio tracks, personally I think just allowing audio routing to pads is the most simple elegant solution for this, and kills a ton of birds with one stone.
    A lot of people will never want bussing, so having it this way it is unobtrusive.

+1 for this really.

I mean it would give total routing-freedom to those who need it while keeping it simple for those who do not need it. Examples would be to route a one pad's output to another pad thus creating a 'group'.

The UI is already in place as a pad can be made to output to either the 'Bank' or directly to 'Speaker 1+2' (I/O panel in the mixer) and thus it would be quite straight forward to route a pad to another 'Internal destination' (ie. Bank/Pad or AUX etc) to create a sub-group.

• The UI is in place as you say, but I would hazard the back end is in place too, sidechaining is already there, so it’s only a small push.

• Maybe the back end is complicated with freedom in routing and signal ordering, if you for instance create feedback loops between the pads (A to B and then B to C, but pad C is already routing to A).

How can it be said that only Auria supports bussing when you have AUM which lets you route however complex you want? And many users have done the Modstep+AUM setup for maximum freedom in sequencing and routing.
  • @bleep
    Native support for mixer buses is only available in Auria Pro

I'm not suggesting it can't be done with a mixture of chained apps using AUM or Audibus (or using a AUX channel hack in BM3)

• Surprised to see Cubasis still doesn't have Ableton Link. Definitely gives BM2/BM3 a major advantage as the only iOS DAW with Link support.

• As much as I love BM3... I always have room for a cheeky mistress.

Much as it pains me to say, I suspect editing AUv3 automations may be less like pulling teeth in Cubasis than it currently is in BM3.

• edited November 2017

@tk32 said:
    As much as I love BM3... I always have room for a cheeky mistress.

Much as it pains me to say, I suspect editing AUv3 automations may be less like pulling teeth in Cubasis than it currently is in BM3.

Pulling teeth? I find it fantastiic in BM3.

Edit: I tried it in Cubasis briefly, seems OK.

PS. Now whoever gets time stretching midi objects first wins my slutty heart.

• @Audiogus
    You've got to admit editing automation data and drawing new ramps/curves using those 3 (counter-intuitive) tools in that small lane is a little frustrating. Whenever I try to tweak automations I've recorded in real time I usually end up making things worse and having to just re-record the dial adjustments from scratch.

This is equally the case for pitch bend and velocity data.

Maybe I'm just doing it wrong? Can anyone recommend a YouTube video that shows how to really master editing automation data (in that tiny lane)

---
    Btw, I am a massive fan of BM3, just in case the above criticism made this unclear ;)
  • Continually losing patience with working in BM3 as a legit Daw tbh. Prob grab Cubasis now they added this, or Auria if black friday deal shows up.

Need to remind myself of usp functions in both (take lanes, warping, au automation etc... I forgot which app does what) and weigh it up. Feel like I need to try a daw app that's had a little more time in the wild for refinement. And come back to BM3 in a few months when Intua have had a chance to get through some more of the backlog and smooth out the workflow re page switching etc.

I know everyone really digs the app on this forum so it's hard to criticise it here. But BM3 talk on other forums is generally focused on 'convoluted workflow, missing features and bugs'....

No doubt it's gonna end up being the best production app on ios by far when Intua get through some more of the backlog. Huge props to them for their long term vision, all the hard work and fast/frequent updates. But for now finishing tracks is just too slow/stressful/limited for me in comparison to PC Daws. Hoping cubasis or auria feel closer...

Will still mess around in BM3 in the meantime, the current sound design depth alone is worth opening the app :)
  • Couple of vids I just checked out and already it appeals. Seems like can do almost everything without switching full page views... I much prefer that kind of focused vibe for daw work... BM3 could do with some kind of overhaul in this area imo. More flexibility with windows/workspace...

• Oh no there is no argument here on this @tk32 @heyez
    Trust me, I have been one step from smashing the iPad off the wall when trying to edit velocities especially, but any automation data.

• Yup BM3 sessions can get stressful pretty fast, depending on what you're trying to do at the time...

Atm I can't even record short notes played on the keys without the sequencer auto-quantising the note length.. So what I play isn't what gets played back to me.. That's a pretty big deal :(

Future's still bright tho. In 6 months time BM3 should be way out front. I've just gradually worn my enthusiasm out from sessions/workflow feeling like some kind of limitations challenge. I kind of dig that on hardware, but I go to daw to get away from that feeling ;)

Cubasis/Auria look like smoother sailing for bread and butter daw stuff/UI. I think it was @triton100 who posted about wishing the BM3 sampler was an AU he could open in Cubasis. I can kinda see the attraction of that now..
  • Is the current Cubasis price of £24 normal or is that on sale atm? That's a chunk cheaper than Auria Pro...
  • I doubt that the Cubasis automation is that much better. It appears to have some limitations - https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=183&t=127027

The Waves stuff looks good but as has been mentioned they are old plugins. They also don't have a spectrum analyser in the EQ which must be one of the most frequent requests on the Audiobus forum. I seem to recall Mathieu mentioning that the analyser code was already in the BM3 EQ but was not enabled. It's small things like these that would make it stand out from the competition. Don't do anything revolutionary, just better than everyone else.

• edited November 2017

Yeah BM3s EQ needs a small overhaul, parameter renames, filter renames, some proper filters (peak and notch separate and not combined WTF ? ) and some of the control curves are horrendous, getting a setting in the right place is near impossible, plus the analyser turned on too haha.

There is quite a bit of blind porting that happened with BM3 it has to be said, example, I defy anybody to tell me the use of gain/volume on a Reverb that has Wet/Dry ?

• edited November 2017
    @mark Yeah, having Fabfilter Saturn/Pro-q and PSP spring reverb on iPad In Auria appeals waaaay more than those particular Waves plugs in Cubasis. Those mentioned Fabfilter/PSP plugs are 3 of my every session go-tos on PC. Think the only waves plugins I hit pretty regular these days are Kramer tape (as a Delay) and S1....
    Also the transient/warp markers in Auria are a HUGE attraction..
    But apparently Auria doesn't have fluid AU automation :( Anyone confirm that?) Always something....
  • @Heyez said:
    Is the current Cubasis price of £24 normal or is that on sale atm? That's a chunk cheaper than Auria Pro...

Cubasis is half price at the moment (normally $50/£50)

• Thanks @tk32
    Tempting at half price.... Feel like I spent more money in ios already than I originally planned to (model 15, zeeon, isem, Fieldscaper, idensity, etc.... Approaching the point where I possibly should have just saved and bought Bitwig for Surface!?) but might throw one last purchase at the wall in hope of bringing those purchases together in a way that feels more fun/fluid than my ios experience so far...
  • @tk32 said:
    @Audiogus
    You've got to admit editing automation data and drawing new ramps/curves using those 3 (counter-intuitive) tools in that small lane is a little frustrating.

I honestly find it super flexible and useable.

• I think it must be my fingers, i'm unable to select a single velocity point unless i zoom right out and even then its a struggle, and drawing automation is just simply a pure nonsense for me. i'm fully willing to accept that my fingers are the cause, but it does seem its not just me.

• @5pinlink said:
    I think it must be my fingers, i'm unable to select a single velocity point unless i zoom right out and even then its a struggle, and drawing automation is just simply a pure nonsense for me. i'm fully willing to accept that my fingers are the cause, but it does seem its not just me.

That part of BM3(Velocity and Controller editing) is a real PITA to be totally honest!

I'm pretty much 'friends' with the way Cubasis note-edtior works now with some pretty significant updates since the early versions that were to me practically un-useable and a source of frustration.

AUv3 automation feels a bit 'smoother' than what BM3 has for now.

• Hmm, I think when I started focusing not on tapping and manipulating the specific point per se but on the blank slot directly to the right of the point then it just worked for me. Also, dotted line movement still works great here.

It is weird, just playing around with it the past few minutes, paying more conscious attention to muscle memory/lizard brain i just find myself really liking it. Even more than Cubasis.