Auria :(

Bought it on the 50% sale. Was leaning toward Cubasis but warp markers and PSP/Fabfilter swayed me.....Dumbass. It sucks :/

Too tired to figure it out tonight but first half hour = Really noticeably laggy UI. Not being able to get warp markers to work. Confusing relationship between the floating keys and the currently selected midi track (no sound...). No idea how to rename a track. Equally fiddly if not worse midi editing than BM3. Seemingly no 'double click' or 'long press' expansion for wave edit etc. Etc. Etc.. I gave up for tonight but imagine there are plenty other 'surprises' awaiting me..

Dunno, possibly just too tired and need to read the manual. But all the above issues are things I never had issue figuring out pretty fast in any other daw. Feels SUPER unintuitive and the UI lag is something that's gonna drive me nuts...

Should have gone for Cubasis..posting this in case anyone else is deciding between the two like I was.

Guess refunds don't happen in ios land?

From first impressions from Auria are basically that Bm3 rules HARD in comparison...

Will give it a proper go tomoro but can see myself just deleting it out of bitterness/frustration.

Comments

• Quite a few people have gotten refunds lately, so don't give up on that avenue if you think it doesn't work as advertised ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited November 2017
    Auria just sits languishing on my iPad, sadly. There are some really great features in there... I just never use it.

Perhaps it all becomes more intuitive once you get more familiar with its idiosyncrasies. I just wasn't prepared to wait and find out after finding the recording and editing of simple midi such a painful process.

BM3 and Cubasis are the 2 ladies in my life (not counting my real one, obviously ;))

(Note - I did try to warn you in a previous thread, @Heyez )
  • edited November 2017

I like to imagine that one day I'll export stems from Cubasis or BM3 and master like a pro using Auria's lovely psp channel strip and fabfilter IAPs. It just never actually happens.

I am always much more likely to do one of the following...

1. Mix and master in the original DAW (BM3/Cubasis) using built-in tools and/or AUv3 mastering effects
    2. Export a 24-bit WAV mixdown to either 'Final Touch' or 'Audio Mastering' iOS apps
    3. Upload the pre-mastered WAV to www.landr.com
  • edited November 2017

I would rather have the Tonebooster plugins in Audio Evolution than Fabfilters.
    Give me them as AU to use in BM3 and i would be like a pig in stuff.

• edited November 2017

A damn shame Toneboosters chose to partner with an android DAW - I expect the revenue potential is so much smaller there (perhaps not).

The fact they have released on one mobile platform gives us hope they may one day port to AUv3. I hope you've been regularly pestering canvassing them for this @5pinlink?

• Audio Evolution has been available on IOS for a long time now ;)

• Thanks for providing my 'Doh' moment of the day.

How did I miss this!!
  • Never had probs with the UI lagging, the midi channel has to be record armed to play notes iirc. TBH i think im just going to use audioshare for sampling, do any trim/fades there then load them into auria. The UI is less sexy than BM3 thats for sure, the manual is good though, had to spend a bit of time with it to get comfortable.

• Thanks for the feedback peeps. Didn't realise this but if you open the apple Receipt email for a purchase there's a tiny 'cancel purchase' at the bottom. Clicked that, entered my apple ID and a page of purchases came up. Auria was at top and had a 'cancel purchase' button. So thankfully getting rid and refund seems like it was easy enough.. FYI it has to be within 14 days of purchase to use this refund. Wish I'd known about it for a couple of apps bought in past... And seems like a solid way to demo apps in future?

Auria seemed good on paper but was actually the total opposite of what I was looking for. Seemed fiddly/slow to navigate etc. And I was getting weird UI latency even when just opening the main text menus etc and questionable performance on the onscreen keyboard after I figured it out. Like some notes weren't playing until note-off or a long press. And the warp marker stuff isn't implemented in a 'fast/fun' way. At least I couldn't get it to be.. Whole thing just seemed less refined than BM3 tbh! Disappointing for an app that has been out so long!

Can see why people have it and use it. But I already have those Fabfilter and PSP plugins on PC that I would have ended up buying again on ios and warp markers in ableton are way faster/easier to use creatively.

Makes sense for me to just find fastest/least fiddly ios tools for sketching stuff out and then export and go to PC for mixing etc. Weird how sometimes you kind of KNOW you're doing the wrong thing but you feel like you have to do it just to be totally sure.. Cubasis here I come! Tho I t might get cancelled/refunded too if doesn't feel significantly more fluid than BM3 ;)
  • Yeah good luck dude, interested to hear what you think of Cubasis. I think between BM and Auria I have everything I need, most of my issues now are with IAA, seems like theres always something up working on ios :pensive:

• Had 5 minutes on cubasis and seems great so far. Dig the familiarity with the timeline/tracks functionality and seems like a keeper. Just a placeholder app really tho, I've no doubt BM3 will be all I need on ios in a few months for this kind of stuff. Nice to have something to fill in for now tho and stop me complaining on here ;)

@dizzy yeah man, Apple suck for making the invention of IAA a necessity! Whole evolution of 'production on ios' has been massively complicated/handicapped by Apple, still is :( Props to intua and others for persevering to make it a usable professional environment....
  • edited November 2017

@Heyez beware a little with using the cancel as a demoing set up, after a couple they put you in a checklist (thanks Apple)
    Just worth noting ;)

• Cheers for heads up on that @5pinlink I should have guessed Apple would have some complications thrown in there somehow ;)
  • edited November 2017

Yeah legally they have to allow refunds if an item is not as advertised, but being the most powerful lobbying force on the planet gives you a ton of leeway in private blacklisting initiatives.
    Apple pffff !!!

• I couldn't resist and bought Cubasis too. Although it is more limited than BM3 it has great workflow. Don't have too think so much and less confusion helps the creative process.

• It is way less limited than BM3 when it comes to the timeline, Cubasis has a pedigree on the timeline that BM3 can't and as far as i can tell, will never match, every time clip start and so on are mentioned the developers at Intua just go silent, so i am guessing at this point that it may never come, so for traditional recording and editing, BM3 will remain second best in that area ;)

• @Mark just don't fall for Cubasis "Classic" Drum Machines IAP. They're just static samples on pads with no way to tune or adjust decay.
  • Just don't fall for any Steinberg IAP haha

• Yes, the timeline is the best feature and the better editing of midi and automation. BM3 beats it in its mixer but both need group channels.
    Listening to the demo the drum machine has nice samples but it makes you wonder why they limited it so much. The other IAP fx look fairly mediocre apart from the tape delay.

• edited November 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Had a little more time in Cubasis. Pretty much exactly what I was looking for atm. Just a non-frustrating linear sequencer environment to use Zeeon and Model 15 inside of.

Haven't dug in to it much yet, and maybe there are workarounds etc, but first impressions are that it's very bare bones in terms of being overly inspirational for creativity. Like if you don't have something interesting in mind to throw in to it or sequence, it isn't often going to spit something out that surprises you without a lot of editing work. Seems kinda like the yin to BM3 yang. No modulation, no slicing to pads, no sample layers, no timestreching a sample that can be played chromatically, no pad link, no rolls pad etc etc.... All that kind of stuff seems nowhere to be seen... But it just feels 'right' to me so far in its general workflow and midi live recording/editing. And has the option for 'on stop rwnd to now marker'!! Haha.

Main thing I dig about it is probably that I don't feel like im switching views all the time. I kind of am doing, but psychologically it somehow feels way less haywire/more focused with the way Cubasis has an overlay window for keys etc.

Guess my ios workflow's prob gonna be 'compose melodic synth stuff in Cubasis > Export stems to BM3 to add beats and hot sauce/mangling etc>export to daw to mix'..

Seems kinda convoluted process but no worse really than the (minor) hassle of composing in op1 and transferring to PC...
  • @triton100 said:
    @5pinlink which method would you recommend for iOS mixing and mastering if it were down to either cubasis (either with or without waves) or auria with fab filters ?
    (As i couldn’t find the other company you recommended )

To be fair, if you have a song going in BM3 and you want to mix it, finish it and move on, if you want MOAAAR, then go to the desktop, while Fabfilter may be the OMGZ on IOS, there are better options on the desktop for way less money Klanghelm/Toneboosters/TDR etc.

MVerb is IOS gold, MVerb is actually desktop gold too, end of story.

BM3 EQ while pretty crappy right now, needs so few very minor tweaks to make it on par with Fabfilter it boggles the mind they haven't already done it (I have written a manual for it and noted all the areas where it is complete junk, and trust me, it is tweaks, nothing more)
    When it comes to EQ, the amount of crap they put in them to have as selling bullet points in ads, ridiculous.

BM3s dynamics are junk, but i think even Intua would agree with that, they are barely functional and in the case of the limiter not even functional.

You can buy a good EQ in AU for like $5, you can buy some good dynamics in AU for like $5 or so, done and done.

At some point you have to realise the laws of diminishing returns, the amount of time it takes you to get pissed off at and then learn Cubase/Auria etc, you may as well have finished the track using a couple AU in BM3, moved on to the next track and gotten better at what you do along the way.
    At some point in the near future, somebody will create a track in BM3 that legitimises it in peoples minds.
    Heres a little secret for everybody, it is just software, doesn't really matter what platform it is on, trust me, i am that geek that did null test the damn thing in the first week, against Maschine desktop, MPC Studio and Reaper, they are close enough to null to not give a fly ****

Which would i use out of Auria and Cubasis, Cubasis, why ? Because i own the damn thing, it was what i was using before BM3 came out hahaha, I sure as **** ain't gonna buy a DAW just for some IAP plugins.

Then again, I'm old and gave up on the next best thing a long time ago, there is a reason the most sought after compressors in the world have 3 or 4 dials ;)

• I wish, I could be ****** snowboarding instead of setting up a drone hahahaha

• Just quick follow up on cubasis...

Still pretty impressed with it in terms of streamlined UI.... but finding it super buggy. Way worse than BM3. Lots of freezes. Which kinda surprised me considering its been around a while and from a pretty big dev. A lot of the freezes (maybe all...) involved AUv3 synths so maybe it's just another manifestation of the tedious ios evolution process and Apple's money motivated bipolar 'genius/idiocy' pendulum..
  • Haha that sucks dude, there really is no winning. Makes me happy I have an elektron machine.

• edited November 2017
    @Heyez

Cubasis was pretty stable before the latest update. I suspect, like BM3, they are experiencing a case of "the more new features; the more new bugs to fix"

It's just unfortunate that you jumped on board immediately after a big update.

I have feeling a patch is imminent.
  • You cant judge stability where plugins are concerned, and i have no idea if sandboxing is even possible on IOS.