New AUv3 app - Lo-Fly Dirt from MSXII

Hey guys,
Wanted to let you know our first app, Lo-Fly Dirt, is now up and available in the App Store. Check it out, would love to hear your thoughts! It's absolutely killer in BM3!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lo-fly-dirt/id1292776927?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo=4

[Brief Description]
An audio coloration utility plugin featuring individual modes for classic emulation of some iconic music production tools. This tool is meant to bring character, or "dirt" to your incoming audio signals.

Lo-Fly Dirt installs as an Audio Unit effect for hosts that support the format such as Audio Bus, Beatmaker 3, Garage Band, Cubasis, AUM, etc.

Comments

• edited December 2017
    Congrats on release :)

After seeing how much you guys use the sp404 and the name of the plug etc I was really hoping that this would have an AU replica of the OG 404 'vinyl sim' effect (with same individual 'comp', 'noise', 'wow and flutter' params..)..I'd say that's the biggest part of the 404 'sound' when people rave about the 404. I constantly use mine as an fx box just for that sound... Maybe you could add it later? Cassette and tascam 388 would also be great sims to have on board ;)

I find the 'one knob' approach kind of limiting/condescending in general tbh. Maybe you guys nailed it somehow, but generally 'more params/control' is usually way more preferable imo.... A UI that had params for simultaneously dialling in all your different saturation models/bitcrush/compression/wow and flutter params etc would be much more fun/convenient/flexible for carving sounds from.. I'm thinking something like the Sonitex plugin. http://www.toneprojects.com/products/plug-ins/sonitex-stx-1260/
    But with improved modelling etc...I'd but that in a second!

Saying all that, it all comes down to the 'sound/s' on this one :) Keen to hear other people's opinions on this and if positive i'll possibly grab it some point after Xmas. Hard to get a clear idea of the sound from the videos on iTunes. Be interested to hear some separate source demos. Drums, piano, bass etc. Not just full mix videos that aren't really clear about what's going on and wet/dry etc.

Been after a plugin in this area on ios forever tho.. Nice work @msimp putting one out there :)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Be interesting to hear how accurate/high quality the modelling is. If its just average algos with an idiot proof UI then £5 is kinda steep in ios land..
  • @triton100 said:
    Just wondering how this plug differs from bm3s distortion, bitcrusher and saturation plugs?

While i dont want to get into it, because these guys seem to be working with Intua (is this plugin developed by intua ? )
    but most sampler profiles are created by EQ/Sample reduction/Minimal distortion or saturation, and most of these samplers i have already created chains in BM3 to replicate(to sound like the ones i have access to) i was gong to release them when we finally have fx chain support.

But these sorts of plugins/fx chains dont really work that well unless you resample, because you need the effect to be before the sample pitching interpolater/clock, so as a plugin they are not that useful other than convenience before resampling.

Personally one dial is not enough for me to get whee i need to be.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • You can’t knock one dial convenience if people feel it gets them close to the sound they’re after. Good luck to the developers. Nice to see the iOS party grow.

For now, I’m happy with my Blamsoft Resampler AU plus any saturation/filter I want to layer on.

• I like it. Sometimes you just need something quick.

• @5pinlink said:

@triton100 said:
    Just wondering how this plug differs from bm3s distortion, bitcrusher and saturation plugs?

While i dont want to get into it, because these guys seem to be working with Intua (is this plugin developed by intua ? )
    but most sampler profiles are created by EQ/Sample reduction/Minimal distortion or saturation, and most of these samplers i have already created chains in BM3 to replicate(to sound like the ones i have access to) i was gong to release them when we finally have fx chain support.

But these sorts of plugins/fx chains dont really work that well unless you resample, because you need the effect to be before the sample pitching interpolater/clock, so as a plugin they are not that useful other than convenience before resampling.

Personally one dial is not enough for me to get whee i need to be.

Maybe I should have left a disclaimer here, but Intua has nothing to do with Lo-Fly Dirt.. While we are sound designers, by trade, we simply have created (and will create more) expansion sound packs for the BM3 platform.

• @hansjbs said:
    I like it. Sometimes you just need something quick.

Perfect, you get it. It's a utility, meant to get you somewhere quickly, with ease. We have more in depth, parameter heavy items in the pipeline, but for our first offering, Lo-Fly Dirt was our favorite. Thanks for checking it!

• @GusGranite said:
    You can’t knock one dial convenience if people feel it gets them close to the sound they’re after. Good luck to the developers. Nice to see the iOS party grow.

For now, I’m happy with my Blamsoft Resampler AU plus any saturation/filter I want to layer on.

My man, thank you. I appreciate you checking it

• @triton100 said:

I don't have those and have never tried them...by default, I guess that would clearly make them different. Haha

• @Heyez said:
    Congrats on release :)

After seeing how much you guys use the sp404 and the name of the plug etc I was really hoping that this would have an AU replica of the OG 404 'vinyl sim' effect (with same individual 'comp', 'noise', 'wow and flutter' params..)..I'd say that's the biggest part of the 404 'sound' when people rave about the 404. I constantly use mine as an fx box just for that sound... Maybe you could add it later? Cassette and tascam 388 would also be great sims to have on board ;)

I find the 'one knob' approach kind of limiting/condescending in general tbh. Maybe you guys nailed it somehow, but generally 'more params/control' is usually way more preferable imo.... A UI that had params for simultaneously dialling in all your different saturation models/bitcrush/compression/wow and flutter params etc would be much more fun/convenient/flexible for carving sounds from.. I'm thinking something like the Sonitex plugin. http://www.toneprojects.com/products/plug-ins/sonitex-stx-1260/
    But with improved modelling etc...I'd but that in a second!

Saying all that, it all comes down to the 'sound/s' on this one :) Keen to hear other people's opinions on this and if positive i'll possibly grab it some point after Xmas. Hard to get a clear idea of the sound from the videos on iTunes. Be interested to hear some separate source demos. Drums, piano, bass etc. Not just full mix videos that aren't really clear about what's going on and wet/dry etc.

Been after a plugin in this area on ios forever tho.. Nice work @msimp putting one out there :)

Thank you for checking and also the feedback man! Much respect to you!

• No worries man. Anything in this zone is always of interest :) Is it new code with focused modeling in these plugs or existing stuff that's been ported/curated?
  • @msimp said:

@triton100 said:

I don't have those and have never tried them...by default, I guess that would clearly make them different. Haha

So you dont own and have never tried Beatmaker or its effects ?
    So its not you personaly that does the sound packs then ?

• null
    5pinlink: My apologies man, for some reason I read that wrong and maybe assumed you mentioned Blamesoft products
  • It wasnt me, it was TM100, but just wanted to clear it up ;)

• edited December 2017
    @msimp saying 'Perfect, you get it. It's a utility, meant to get you somewhere quickly, with ease', is kinda like saying that people questioning the plugin's value/quality 'don't get it'.... Which isn't the case ;)

Reminds me of Waves 'one knob' series. Tbh that whole simplified ui thing isnt main point of interest tho. Only interested in the accuracy of the models. Anyone copped it and able to give feedback?

Also after recently getting in to PD via organelle I got made aware of how much great public domain code there is out there for compressors and bitchcrushers etc and now I'm kinda skeptical of stuff like this that claims to be one thing when in reality it's just old code cobbled in to new clothes and not new finetuned code focused on mimicking the behaviors of specific hardware.

Not saying this plugin is like that, but Interested to know if it's genuinely been built from the ground up while focusing on certain pieces of hardware to nail behavior similarities, or whether the bulk of the work had been taken from other people's efforts and repackaged. Sorry if that sounds harsh/cynical!
  • @Heyez said:
    @msimp saying 'Perfect, you get it. It's a utility, meant to get you somewhere quickly, with ease', is kinda like saying that people questioning the plugin's value/quality 'don't get it'.... Which isn't the case ;)

Reminds me of Waves 'one knob' series. Tbh that whole simplified ui thing isnt main point of interest tho. Only interested in the accuracy of the models. Anyone copped it and able to give feedback?

Also after recently getting in to PD via organelle I got made aware of how much great public domain code there is out there for compressors and bitchcrushers etc and now I'm kinda skeptical of stuff like this that claims to be one thing when in reality it's just old code cobbled in to new clothes and not new finetuned code focused on mimicking the behaviors of specific hardware.

Not saying this plugin is like that, but Interested to know if it's genuinely been built from the ground up while focusing on certain pieces of hardware to nail behavior similarities, or whether the bulk of the work had been taken from other people's efforts and repackaged. Sorry if that sounds harsh/cynical!

Lol, not at all. I meant "you get it" as in, our initial thought process behind the current build offering was captured. Nothing more. No shots at anyone by any means. Hopefully it wasn't received that way--please understand my intent.

I hear you on pub domain stuff. We hire good dev/programmers and definitely do our research. At the end of the day, we won't offer anything that isnt something we wouldnt use personally. Always has been the motto. It may not be for everyone, but it is an option. Just looking to contribute positively to something we believe in.

• edited December 2017
    Will try to check it out some point.
  • edited December 2017
    Sounds like some useable crunch from it on drums -

From the video the 404 setting doesn't really sound like what's great to me about a 404 but pretty cool/convenient as it's own thing. Not sure any of the modes are heavily accurate tbh but hard to hear on phone vids.

£5 feels overpriced for the 'one knob' locked down UI thing. Like there's not even an output param for compensation if things get loud.. Which means more BM3 page switching :/ Will wait for the 'grown-ups' version with access to params ;)

Good luck with the plugin @msimp
  • Absolutely love this app

• @L8BIT said:
    Absolutely love this app

Good stuff man, glad you dig!

• edited December 2017

needs more parameters it's a bit basic (i own a sp404&s950 Well done though a little more developement and could be a bestseller - I've not deleted it from my ipad so keep up the developement
    Peace.

• @beatmakerstorm said:
    needs more parameters it's a bit basic (i own a sp404&s950 Well done though a little more developement and could be a bestseller - I've not deleted it from my ipad so keep up the developement
    Peace.

Word, thanks for the feedback.

• edited December 2017

@msimp said:

@beatmakerstorm said:
    Peace.

Word, thanks for the feedback.

cool - i.e the sp1200 setting needs that classic ringing sound within a parameter option..keep up the goodwork.