CHORDS mode doesn't actually record the NOTES?

Frustrating day with BM3 today....

In CHORD mode:
Why does it not record the actual chord midi notes into the piano roll?

I want to record a chord's midi notes into the piano roll, I select the chord i want, press the pad for the root note i want, and it PLAYS the chord, but only RECORDS the root midi note into the piano roll, not the multiple notes in the CHORD.

Any chance we could please make it record the chord's notes to the piano roll?

Comments

• Yeah its been a day one request to be honest, doesn't bother me too much anymore because i know @brambos has mentioned elsewhere that he has a chord AU MIDI on the build, and I have to be honest, he is pretty much the ****ing daddy right now in IOS audio.

I have seen a couple of sneak peeks at AU MIDI in BM, and it is a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster ;)
  • Before we get too excited about AUv3 Midi Plug-Ins we need to have an 'arm recording' function for banks/pads/tracks in place or the Plug-Ins will fill the patterns with notes as soon as we hit record.

But yeah, the 'chord function' is a bit 'buggy' at the moment and I think it's related to the fact that the sequencer only records the pads and incoming notes that are tapped and not the notes that the 'bank' generates.

This should in my opinion be 'optional' as it makes it easier to try out different chords based on the root-note.
    If/when the arpeggiator comes this will also be delicate, some may prefer to enter chords in the sequencer and have the arpeggiator arpeggiate them while others prefer to have the arpeggiated notes in the pattern.

So when both the arpeggiator and chords are in place it will be quite handy to just enter one note in the pattern and automate chord changes and arpeggio patterns...

Other ways to cure this would be to add a more functions to a 'process' menu in the pattern editor.
    (Ie. select the single notes and select 'chordify' and pick a chord).
  • I'll happily stick with AU MIDI and pay the small amount to developers to support them, but i have very very few apps, so i don't have the appaholic garbage going on.

I get excited about AU MIDI because a big portion of my music is performance, and yes we need MIDI arm, I suspect that is quite an easy thing to add though.
  • I'm already using a 3rd party app to input complex chord progression midi that I cant play by hand.
    I'm using ChordPolyPad for this.

I was trying to find a way to TEACH/SHOW other BM3 users how to use the chords mode more creatively in a new video, only to get immediately shut down again by what seems to me like another unexpected silly limitation...

I've ALREADY got a 3rd party app for inputting midi chords.

This is the take-away: 
    I should be able to do it EASILY inside BM3 itself with the already included CHORD TOOL without the need for a 3rd party app to input notes.

• edited December 2017
    "Recordable chords" would be a lovely addition - I'm also one of the ones, like Dean, who expected it to work like this from day one (back in July), so was very surprised to learn that the way Intua implemented chords was as more of a "live performance" feature than a studio/composition one.

Side note - I love the way Cubasis lets you program one-shot chords into a row of chord pads - this often saves me having to resort to a 3rd party tool. I wondered if you might be able to do something similar in BM3 by linking pads in keys mode - but even if you did you wouldn't be able to use the same pad/note in multiple chords :(

btw @DeanDaughters - you sound really pissed when you use BLOCK CAPS!! Mean Dean ;) Perhaps try bold/italics for emphasis instead?
  • edited December 2017
    samu said:
    Before we get too excited about AUv3 Midi Plug-Ins we need to have an 'arm recording' function for banks/pads/tracks in place or the Plug-Ins will fill the patterns with notes as soon as we hit record.

Plus absolutely. 

• I think having a way to record the chord and scale output would be great 
  • Elementary!

___

King

• well i'm all for barring chords in bm3! get it? (crap guitar joke)  
    i learnt the old way by memorising the intervals, so no sympathy from me  :)
    doesn't take too long tho
  • +1 to record the notes in