Comments

• edited December 2017

BM on the desktop with full ASIO/AU/VST support on Mac and Windows, it very much will compete with the big guys, it has everything that could have made MPC Studio and Maschine absolute killers, and they both have a big chunk of the DAW market.

This feels like the next generation of music making, and with mobile parity, it will be very very hard for the big guys to step up and get their game mobile quick enough.

But it has to be done at the right pace, right now making it perfect on IOS is the only important thing, because once porting starts, regular updates have to slow a little, in Reapers case they went from daily to weekly, so that should give a hint lol.

• This article is great. I wonder if there is a way I can look and find when I bought BM1. Guess I deleted the original itunes receipt. Would be nostalgic.

• Excellent article. Interesting reading about the history of Beatmaker; I was not familar with the background story. It’s great that we live in these awesome times where so much power can be packed into such portable devices.

• edited December 2017

Thanks! Time flies, it's been more than 10 years now, woah... Oh well, to celebrate all this, BeatMaker 1 is now free. You just need to find an old device :-)

• Maybe you can chop it up again with George Hotz and build the AI version of BM4 to go in our self-driving cars :D
    Cool read man.

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Thanks! Time flies, it's been more than 10 years now, woah... Oh well, to celebrate all this, BeatMaker 1 is now free. You just need to find an old device :-)

Find the code and do a 10 year AU re-release lol

• Definitely still have the code haha!

• F**k me, i just read some of the reviews moaning about you releasing Beatmaker 2, what a bunch of ignorant and entitled A-Holes a lot of these $2 app monkeys are.

• edited December 2017

@5pinlink said:
    F**k me, i just read some of the reviews moaning about you releasing Beatmaker 2, what a bunch of ignorant and entitled A-Holes a lot of these $2 app monkeys are.

Indeed, although I guess there will always be a few rotten apples among the otherwise great bunch of people on iOS.

Recently there was someone who insisted that my Rozeta plugins should have been a free update to my other apps, simply because the sequencers looked similarly styled. And there was someone who threatened to leave bad reviews for my apps everywhere if I didn't add MIDI out to my Ruismaker sequencers, because every sequencer is supposed to have MIDI output and thus he was entitled to that functionality. And then there are people who moan about you supporting Audiobus 3, because you're forcing them to buy another app. People like that sometimes make my blood boil.

But as I said, I think the iOS community is generally pretty nice, and I'd take it over the average Gearslutz crowd any day of the week :D

• Oh i've read it all
    "$10 is too much for a full fledged AU plugin"
    "I paid good money for xxx only a year ago ($4.99) and this IAP should be free"
    "Why don't the big companies release on IOS"
    Hahahaha

They should feel damn lucky they have companies like Intua and yourself releasing stuff !!

• edited December 2017

"Consolidated request list" + “Consolidated known bug list” = the “goldmine” ;)

Great to hear that you try to evolve around user feedback. I have seen a few promising companies succumb to their own vision, ignoring user feedback and discussion, and cramming in features and the accompanying bugs.

Intua has an advantage, in that they are not burdened with the need to engineer physical controllers to enhance the usability of their software. I have used many controllers and a few DAWs and BeatMaker 3 is the all-in-one right product at the right time.

As with most of the 90s computer/music evolution, I’m very grateful that that time coincides with my own.

• Sometimes when people complain about how expensive an app is or the upgraded should be free, I keep thinking, no one is forcing you to buy it. The previous version that you paid 4.99 for still works. I don't get it because they are some of the same people that would pay $199 upgrade for mac or pc. I feel bad for some of these developers, you really need to habe thick skin to do this. I say thank you to all that made music on iOS possible. I may bitch and moan sometimes about bugs but I'm always grateful.

• Just want to add that I'm having a blast dorking around with BM3 and all the AU thingies!