Poor search results in the AppStore

@mathieugarcia you are probably well aware of this already but searching ‘beat maker’ and ‘beatmaker’ In the App Store does not return good results for BM3. Not sure what can be done other than throwing advertising $ at it but just a heads up.

Comments

• Beatmaker 3 is the first entry here in a search of beatmaker.
    But it is about time they started thinking of a rebrand to be honest, it is a poor choice of name in general, but will be even worse when it is on the desktop, they will need a more generic name.

• Apple is rigging the App Store for paid search results. IMO that's a bit of a scumbag move, because they're already taking a substantial chunk of the app's revenue.

There is no excuse for not giving proper search results when someone searches for an exact name. Because they're not just giving preferential treatment to paying vendors; they're actively sabotaging devs who don't want to pay the extra premium.

• @5pinlink said:
    Beatmaker 3 is the first entry here in a search of beatmaker.
    But it is about time they started thinking of a rebrand to be honest, it is a poor choice of name in general, but will be even worse when it is on the desktop, they will need a more generic name.

Canadian store I should add.

@5pinlink well you’ve already made one app change its name... :wink:

• Uh ?
    Which app is that ?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BM3 comes in 14th when searching ‘beatmaker’ in the CDN store.

• edited December 2017

@triton100 said:

@brambos said:
    Apple is rigging the App Store for paid search results. IMO that's a bit of a scumbag move, because they're already taking a substantial chunk of the app's revenue.

There is no excuse for not giving proper search results when someone searches for an exact name. Because they're not just giving preferential treatment to paying vendors; they're actively sabotaging devs who don't want to pay the extra premium.

No way ! Seriously ? I am a big appreciator of Apple, but if that's true that has majorly disappointed me. I thought there were two paid search results that appeared at the top of the list, followed by the true results underneath, meaning I automatically ignore the first results, so never thought it was that big a deal.

Maybe they're still changing stuff around, but lately when I search for exact names, I get a bunch of other-named apps before getting the exact match. That just goes against every existing search-engine principle.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:
    That is seriously not cool for the indies and devs that don't have the dosh to pay for ads. I might have to email Cook.

“Now listen ‘ere, Cookie!...” :smiley:

• To be fair Beatmaker is 1st in the UK store but it is an AD

• There might still be some metadata tweaks that @mathieugarcia can make to improve things a bit?

• Yeah changes it name so that it isn't the same as 5000 "Yeah, Brostep pads, go DJ, look how sexy i am" apps.
    Easy fix.

• @5pinlink said:
    Uh ?
    Which app is that ?

Foldr :wink:

• Did he remove even more letters ? For ? FL ? haha

• Hahahahahaha how ridiculous is that, i search ed WaveFolder IOS, found a ton of links for it straight away, but the App store link still has it called FoldR, which google couldn't find when i typed FoldR IOS hahahahaha
    Much better name though to be honest.

• We have a small budget for Apple Search Ads, to "bid" on some specific keywords. It is really a tricky business and there are so much factors that impact search ranking (number of downloads, ratings, translations...). We're trying to tweak and optimize it but anybody investing more will just get over you easily...

• @mathieugarcia Could we get it to move up as a community with ratings and reviews or does listing results not work this way?

• Lets be fair, its Apple, unless you go and kiss a lot of ass at Apple, you aint getting anything.

• @5pinlink said:
    Lets be fair, its Apple, unless you go and kiss a lot of ass at Apple, you aint getting anything.

True.

• Rating the app sure helps, but yeah, it's probably more about the ads budget than anything else!

• @mathieugarcia said:
    Rating the app sure helps, but yeah, it's probably more about the ads budget than anything else!

Are you sure that’s all it is? If I search BM3 in the Canadian store Beatmaker 3 doesn’t even show up at all. 43 other apps do though. That seems odd to me. Is there an option to add keywords like ‘BM3’ in international stores?

• Apple store search results are the worst. Have been since launch. Google "apple store search broken" and you'll find 100s of articles.

• @mathieugarcia App of the Day in Canada today :smile:
    That’ll help.

• Awesome! In Switzerland too!