Groove Rider - opinions? BM3 integration?

edited December 2017 in General

Late to the party hearing about this but looks good from couple of vids I saw. Kinda like a cross between Korg es2 and elektron digitakt. Anyone using it?

Couple of questions -
Slicing... How fast/flexible is it? Does it have transient slicing?

Resampling.... Can it resample patterns/bars?
Export.... Stems/patterns/song?

Probability... What are the options?

Can you automate/modulate sample start point etc?

Does it have 'per step' automation?

Doesn't seem to be AUv3... Anyone using it with BM3? How's that workflow?

Timestrech.... Does it have any timestrech options?

Bluetooth midi?

External midi sequencing.. Can I sketch stuff out with the onboard synths and then later connect iPad to hardware synths to replace those sounds?

How's sample import/organisation? Painless?

I read that it doesn't actually sample, only import... Any rumor on sampling getting added?

Anyone heard any dev rumours on whether it will host AU synths/fx in future?

Sorry for the questions.. Just pretty tempted to grab while it's on intro offer pricing but don't want to instantly regret it when I hit the fine print like I have on a couple other ios purchases.

Thanks!

Edit - also, does it have tempo division/multiply per track?

Comments

• https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/23487/groove-rider-gr-16-released#latest
    probably better asking there.
    there's no elektron digitakt in it. it's all electribe. a carbon copy

• Cheers @canister. Was just the probability (trig conditions in elektron land..) and mono samples made me think DT ;)

• edited December 2017

I been using it and like it a lot - features like swing to individual pads and global swing
    The dev said -
    1. Will be able to sample in a very soon update
    2. Au effects option will be added
    3. i've not done chop to pad slicing as yet as it seems to only chop to 16 pads leave no pads left for other sounds and has only 1 bank but with resample added won't be an issue.
    4. The dev told me that re sampling is top on his list for a near update
    5. Sample organisation as of now bit messy as all samples are stored in 1 list - the next soon to come update will give option to create folders
    6. Sample import bit messy - as of now it imports some samples and not others - a "bug" the dev is aware of and the next very soon update will sort that
    7.My overal view - it really is good - not had too many crashes - the effects are top notch - the swing and quantize is super tight.
    The dev has now done a user manual
    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf

• edited December 2017

To add - the dev in a soon update plans to make "multi stem" export available
    As of now your option to bounce a track is via Audiobus but will be able to bounce wav file in the next update -
    I like Grooverider as reminds me of a Roland SP303/404 and when the re sample to pads and auv3 added Grooverider is going to be very powerful
    Also when I use Grooverider I literally forget Iam on an ipad - feels very real
    Lastly the dev said midi is on its way - for mapping controllers etc

• Thanks a lot for those thoughts and info @beatmakerstorm

Think I might 'leap of faith' it and cop now while it's cheap. Potentially I think I'll really dig the workflow on this after a couple of updates which seem to be on their way...

Cheers :)

• @beatmakerstorm said:
    To add - the dev in a soon update plans to make "multi stem" export available
    As of now your option to bounce a track is via Audiobus but will be able to bounce wav file in the next update -
    I like Grooverider as reminds me of a Roland SP303/404 and when the re sample to pads and auv3 added Grooverider is going to be very powerful
    Also when I use Grooverider I literally forget Iam on an ipad - feels very real
    Lastly the dev said midi is on its way - for mapping controllers etc

@Heyez Grooverider is also very similar to Arturia iSpark

• @Heyez said:
    Thanks a lot for those thoughts and info @beatmakerstorm

Think I might 'leap of faith' it and cop now while it's cheap. Potentially I think I'll really dig the workflow on this after a couple of updates which seem to be on their way...

Cheers :)

its well worth it - the only bug i had was sample import stuff here and there - used it for 3 hours - no crashes Also it has a built in synth engine Same dev who made the Poison 202 synth -

• @Heyez said:
    Late to the party hearing about this but looks good from couple of vids I saw. Kinda like a cross between Korg es2 and elektron digitakt. Anyone using it?

Couple of questions -

Bluetooth midi?

External midi sequencing.. Can I sketch stuff out with the onboard synths and then later connect iPad to hardware synths to replace those sounds?

I read that it doesn't actually sample, only import... Any rumor on sampling getting added?

Sorry for the questions.. Just pretty tempted to grab while it's on intro offer pricing but don't want to instantly regret it when I hit the fine print like I have on a couple other ios purchases.

Thanks!

It has tempo per pattern for tempo changes - and can chain patterns for songs - iam looking at it now and theres 255 pattern option

• @beatmakerstorm said:

@Heyez said:

Couple of questions -

Bluetooth midi?

Thanks!

It has tempo per pattern for tempo changes - and can chain patterns for songs - iam looking at it now and theres 255 pattern option

patterns can be 1 to 4 bars

• edited December 2017

Massive fan of Jim Pavlov here, this thing looks like a shoot and miss to me, for me personally it would get old fast, and i see no reason at all to learn another workflow (it is the sort of software that doesnt exist on the desktop for a reason) it has very few features BM3 doesn't already have, really wanted to love this thing and would have bought instantly if it had come in AUv3 version, but im probably biased, i have owned the Electribes and think they are terrible, I have a boxed near new EMX1 SD if anybody is interested in one lol.

You can rely on the developer to deliver what he says on this though, which is a good thing ;)

• @5pinlink yeah I know what you're saying and mostly agree with you looking at how things stand in this first version. But once he adds AU and fast resampling (apparently both on their way) it'll be super fast/fun workflow/UI...

Very much like hardware layout/workflow. Which is something I miss sometimes in BM3 when I wanna just pick up iPad and jam on it without stress or an unfocused environment like bm3.

I also get what you mean when you say there aren't many apps like this on desktop, but it's kind of different/more appealing on touchscreen/portable, if the ui/workflow gets nailed it's basically a decent hardware instrument made of glass...

Interested to see how deep the step probability functionality is and I also have a feeling this'll probably get p-locks at some point in future update. Dev would be crazy not to throw those in on a UI like this one..

I'm playing devil's advocate to a certain degree tho, maybe it'll fizzle in to the 'average' apps abyss... just looks like for £10 it's probably worth a little gamble ;)

• Yeah its just a taste thing really, I dont personally buy sound generators that are not plugins, Jim did say this would be an AU, but it seems that has changed.

But any other AU plugins he makes will be instabuys, he's a great developer, Poison 202 is really really special.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I got it, partly cause I wanted something quick and easy to mess round with beats, esp when I'm away from my stuff. The other reasons were it was cheap, and I'm betting on future developments/improvements.

Found it easy to use and get my head around, have never used an electribe. Would love if it ended up like a software digitakt. Only randomisation I could find in the sequencer was velocity, nothing like an elektron sequencer.

• @dizzy
    It has probability per step I think? No mention of elektron style p-locks to be added in update but seems like no-brainer to put them in at some point. If that happens (+resampling and couple other DT features) this app would totally destroy DT for me... The insert fx, polyphony and onboard synth are big pros over DT for convenience and sound design.. Probably buy it later today and hope for the best ;)

• edited December 2017

@StudioES what's up with the 'yearly wipeout'? Kinda tempted to do the same but looks like a long process :/

Caught the info before you edited. Was enough to make me buy GR16..

First impressions are fun app and everything 'works'. At least did for the hour I spent on it. Can squeeze a lot of variation out of a basic 32 step pattern via probability and automaton/mutes/xY pad etc. No crashes or weird stuff going on. Worth checking out for anyone in to korg/elektron type step sequencer workflow.

• @StudioES I missed that part, thanks.

Turns out you can edit the automation and % per step, among other things. I should probably read the manual :)

• Loving its simplicity but with ability to make a wide variety of sound. Would love stem export, but for now I just solo any part I want to export. With iOS 11 it’s pretty easy to use the files app to get sounds into BM3.

Further export options are definitely going to help - midi export in particular.

Yeah would love some sort of automated process to get whole patterns exported from GR16 to a bank in BM3, but hey life is never that simple is it? Lol

• @Fruitbat1919 yup this one's a keeper. Refreshing app. Anyone know if there's AUv3 planned? GrooveRider inside BM3 would be immense. Jamming powerhouse!

• It was planned but from what i can gather is being passed up in favour of hosting AU instead.

• @5pinlink said:
    It was planned but from what i can gather is being passed up in favour of hosting AU instead.

Disappointing move..

• Yeah, unsure what’s coming as regards AU. I was following the thread on AB forums, but it all turned a bit weird there, so will just wait and see. The dev does seem very approachable :)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Gonna quote myself on facebook Ipad musician page here:

Does nothing new. Blatant ripoff of the electribe 2 groovebox. Including some of its limitations.
    Looks really well made and nothing against the hard work put in. But it’s too late in the app game for this to really make a dent.It does look solid, focussed and well made. I partly put that down to it being almost a carbon copy of the electribe.

I own an electribe 2 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. And for the price point you can’t go wrong. BUT it has limitations forced onto it due to the nature of it being as standalone piece of hardware at that particular price point. Limited voicing. Why has this app got max poly of 32/24 (I forget) when you have 256 voice apps like LayR etc? Don’t get me wrong you can get a LOT done with the 24 voice paraphony of the electribe... but it can be frustratingly limited at points. Maybe the synth engine on this app is better than the tribe and you may not need as many voices due to more creative possibility with sound design. It seems that the max poly is somewhat arbitrary as iOS device are capable of a lot more these days.
    Also, 256 max stored songs? Again that’s a lot BUT it also feels like an arbitrary number when you can save as many songs as your storage will allow with other apps at the same price point.
    My point is that it seems to copy not only the good from the electribe but also the bad. The electribe limitations come out of its price point and it’s physical limitations while iOS devices do not have these same limitations but because the app is an almost faithful recreation it becomes unnecessarily limited in features and workflow
    AND the ifx/mfx distinctions on the tribe (reverb only on mfx and not on ifx) is needed due to hardware limitations. Why copy this to an app? It’s severely limiting what you can do with mfx because if you want a reverb. You have to use your mfx. Then you can’t use any other of the fantastic mfx because you needed a reverb. This makes sense in hardware. Not on iOS.

Again. The app looks like a lot of fun and I love my electribe. I just wish that some of the frustrating things about the electribe had been improved upon instead of copied verbatum

• Agreed it has some really strange design limitations that seem quite senseless or stubborn given how straight forward the things you mention like insert reverb options or unlimited user banks (depending on storage) would be to have included. Compared to BM3 it feels like quite nonsensical stinginess in that respect. Personally my main issue was the lack of access to effects parameters. I don't understand this decision at all. Seems like it's aimed at beginners in many ways and can feel a little patronising to other more advanced users.

But it does have some really nice, fun features. The probability, jump, and parameter locks are all great. Would love to see some of these eventually turn up inside BM3 @mathieugarcia ;)

I get the feeling that the dev has left a lot of stuff out intentionally so he can make and sell a mkii. Not sure how I feel about that. Not a fan of intentionally crippling one product just to force users to buy another.

From what @Fruitbat1919 said it sounds like it might be worth an email to dev and make some requests. Will try to remember to get round to it..but some things make me wonder how receptive the dev will actually be. The main pic on his page is a big picture of himself. He named his software company after himself. He has a bunch of factory (his) patterns which I don't think are delete-able.. Not sure he'll like any ideas that aren't already his own ;)

I'm pretty sure I'll use it now and again but my main focus continues to be BM3 and it's development. 99% sure that by the end of the year it will be ridiculously good. It already is. Just needs that last bit of fine tuning and then the missing fun/creative things like slice to transient, extended modulation options, the rumoured granular functionality on samples, arpeggio etc and I'll be set. Everything else can come from AU inside it.