Crossfade setting allows to set only 2ms

The crossfade setting seems to have a really odd behavior. I do not recall having this issue before. Here is what happens. If I click the crossfade section the pop up comes up, then I point at the 0s and move my finger to adjust the value. It only allows me to go up to 2ms and once I release my finger it jumps back to 0. If I use just the arrows it goes to higher values but it takes pretty long to get where I need to.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue? Am I doing something wrong?

Comments

• Never been able to get the crossfade to actually do anything at all, it does something on the UI, but it does not crossfade loop the sound, i have mentioned this to Mathieu before.

• @littleendian confirmed yes. Same behavior.

• edited January 2018

crossfade seems to work for me, but I can also replicate this issue. you can't turn on crossfade until you've set a loop mode and turned off disk streaming, and then you can't adjust the crossfade time until you've moved the loop start point. you then will be able to increase crossfade time up to the amount of time between the sample start and loop start points, until the distance between the loop start point passes midway between sample start point and the loop end point. the crossfade amount will shrink automatically if you adjust one of the loop handles too close to the nearest marker to the left (loop start and sample start, or loop end and loop start, respectively). as far as I can tell, the crossfade does sound like it cross fades according to the markers on the UI.

so, with respect to the crossfade parameter not interfering with the loop start and end points, this seems to be working as it should (assuming it's actually crossfading, re: @5pinlink), except for the fact that you should not be able to increment the crossfade amount with the buttons at all if there is no amount of time with which to crossfade.

• re: @5pinlink I can see/hear the crossfade effect working especially if I use a sample with silence at the end, setting the loop end point along with the crossfade amount well within the silent portion, and the loop start point well within the non-silent beginning of the sample.

• edited January 2018

@ronji. You know your stuff. I haven't messed with it because I didn't know how it works. Somebody out there will eventually do a HOWTO video. The info was helpful. Thanks!

• edited January 2018

I just got bm3 to crash after curiously turning on reverse and playing the sample, after setting the loop points and crossfade amount from my previous reply. :joy: I wasn't going to do a video for the original issue in this thread, but now I'm going to do a quick vid to show this crash at the end.

how to use cross fade with looping sample 308 (and how to crash in reverse):
    warning, the crash produced a bad sound, adjust volume accordingly

• Hmmm, i will retest, 3.0.6 it did absolutely nothing at all, cheers @ronji

• I honestly didn't know how to use the crossfade feature until I tried replicating via this thread =D cheers @mefisme and @5pinlink !

• edited January 2018

I actually produced that same bug once way back when I first tried the Crossfade. Completely forgot. Confirmed here. Guess no one is using the feature because ADSR is compensating?

• Man, crossfading could actually be very handy. I never went far into it but being able to set a loop start point end point after the initial trigger is well...awesome. The things I learn. Lol.

• In this video at 9:50 I show how I'm using BM3's loop and crossfade features.

Hope this helps! :)

• edited January 2018

Thanks for the link, @DeanDaughters! Cross fading the loop helps a lot when trying to get a seamless loop on complex samples like you show here. I’ve mostly been looping single cycles and more simple samples that don’t produce clicks since the zero crossings are lined up, which is why I hadn’t used crossfade much yet. Note: this is a great way to extend a vocal sample during a vowel sound so you can sustain and pitch shift it =)

• @ronji said: great way to extend a vocal sample during a vowel sound so you can sustain and pitch shift it =)

Oh yeah, man! :D :D That sounds like a great idea!

I gotta finish this move so I can get back to work in BM3 !
    (Moving houses is like the most amount of work in the history of ever - omg I am so exhausted!)
    lol

• Just chiming in to clarify one thing: the maximum amount of cross-fading depends on how much audio is available before the loop start marker.

Cheers!

• @mathieugarcia all helpful stuff. Appreciate it. In my particular current tests with my template and triggering loops, Cross fading will be extremely useful in performing with a predetermined backing track. I can start a song based on a loop and perform with it, and as the loop end comes around don’t have to worry about setting a loop brace in sequencer View. I can do this self contained in a pad. @DeanDaughters @ronji you guys really showed me the power of this including any and all parameters attached to the sample. It even has somewhat of a built in reminder when I should/might want to apply effect to the sample. I’m going to be trying to use this a lot.

• @mefisme said: I can start a song based on a loop and perform with it, and as the loop end comes around don’t have to worry about setting a loop brace in sequencer View. I can do this self contained in a pad.

This sounds really interesting :o :) :D

• @DeanDaughters said:

@mefisme said: I can start a song based on a loop and perform with it, and as the loop end comes around don’t have to worry about setting a loop brace in sequencer View. I can do this self contained in a pad.

This sounds really interesting :o :) :D

Yeah! It’s actually awesome timesaver for performance or production. Im sure you get what I’m saying. I’ll bring up a scenario. I have a few loops some long some maybe 8 bars that I designed and resampled in BM3 from my patterns. They have a lot of variation and before I was jumping to song sequencer to set a loop brace before the play head reached it. This crossfader reduces so much pressure on a performance with BM3.

• So pretty much the Crossfader is super powerful under two main scenarios. Sound-Shaping and Performances with Loops.

• Oh yeah you can create huge drones with basic sample textures, pitched down, crossfaded over a few seconds, and setting the release up to 40s, haha.

• Instead of passing out,I can now space out.

• Yep Crossfade is working perfectly in 3.0.8, never worked previously for me haha

• edited January 2018

@5pinlink said:
    Yep Crossfade is working perfectly in 3.0.8, never worked previously for me haha

Can be removed/marked fixed from consolidated bug list?
    https://intua.net/forums/discussion/5120/crossfade-duration-adjusts-too-slow-crossfade-bend-adjusts-too-fast#latest

• edited January 2018

I can't do any of that any more @mefisme you will have to tell @mathieugarcia the forum is completely broken for weeks now, i cant move posts to fixed or anything, to be honest, Vanilla forums is just complete and utter junk.

I have emailed him to let him know it is broke again, but he rarely replies, so probably too busy coding ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    I can't do any of that any more @mefisme you will have to tell @mathieugarcia the forum is completely broken for weeks now, i cant move posts to fixed or anything, to be honest, Vanilla forums is just complete and utter junk.

I wasn't aware. I apologize. So we aren't consolidating. Gotcha.

• Ok forums fixed again ;)