Document storage options?

2»

Comments

• @ronji said:
    @5pinlink ah I see that. I wasn’t saying move between the two, but move is an option. If you try to move something out of AudioShare, the Move option is there, but if you go into something “on my iPad” then it changes to a copy function automatically, but you can still move into other “locations” like DropBox. Yeah that’s kinda silly of AudioShare - they should at least also have their stuff visible and accessible in “on my iPad”. The app FileBrowser, which I haven’t used in forever, exists both as a location and also under on my iPad.

Good info to know about certain app behaviors with Files. I don’t think audioshare has been updated for awhile. Would have to check App Store.

• @mefisme said:

It does copy them. Apple currently does not allow third party developers apps to move files between apps or files by itself. Only apples apps. So all files are either duplications or copies from the app you are attempting to move the file from. This includes BM3 itself when collecting a sample with the same name. It makes copies. BM3 folder structure is the Files app in iOS 11. Just sharing.

I assumed they were copied over as well. They are definitely copied if you use the Files app the normal way. But if you use drag and drop they don't seem to be copied over at all as they don't show anywhere in BM3 file system including BM3 Files app section.......unless the file system copies them and hides it from view.

I need to check with some large samples to see if it adds to the storage space in BM3 when using drag and drop.

• oh yeah it's copied into the session folder, that's a shame. Well thought that was happening so still hopeful this will be addressed in iOS 12.

• My posts seem to be stuck in a moderation queue. Not sure why :(

• So it was hidden in unsaved sessions, what nonsense.
    This unsaved sessions and autosave business needs fixing right now, i am really really starting to find it hard work to work around secret save here duplicate save there, Beatmaker Should not be copying files without ever asking me where i want to put them.

• Yeah I think the file system thing is something Apple will have to improve if they are to continue marketing them as Pro devices. You just can't work that way with large video files for example. That's one reason I won't do large video projects on my ipad yet, abysmal file system. The same reason large sample libraries are not viable yet to share between apps.

But they will have to improve it to if they are to evolve iOS as a platform.

• Good news :) So Affinity photo just updated with "open and save in place" ability.
    Apparently it's tricky to implement so not widespread yet.
    So it is possible with iOS 11. Unless sample engines have an issue with the tech, hopefully @mathieugarcia will update for this some time....

• I feel better now knowing someone believed in what I was saying rather than shutting it down.

• @carnbot said:
    Good news :) So Affinity photo just updated with "open and save in place" ability.
    Apparently it's tricky to implement so not widespread yet.
    So it is possible with iOS 11. Unless sample engines have an issue with the tech, hopefully @mathieugarcia will update for this some time....

Yesh Beatmakers opening from the files app i extremely poor, copy here, copy there, lets kill the ipads storage for fun, same as that unsaved session nonsense.

• edited February 2018

My least favorite thing ever is when you tap on a wav file in the Files app that is in the BeatMaker 3 folder, it opens BM3 and moves that wav you tapped into the samples directory. I just wanted to preview my exported song wav, not move it :(

• @ronji said:
    My least favorite thing ever is when you tap on a wav file in the Files app that is in the BeatMaker 3 folder, it opens BM3 and moves that wav you tapped into the samples directory. I just wanted to preview my exported song wav, not move it :(

Interesting. iOS 11 files app choosing default programs. Does adjusting the setting in BM3 apple settings stop this?

• Files app isnt choosing default app, it uses the app the file belongs to in the structure, that is why there is no goid reason it gets moved to samples, its already a BM3 file hahsha, no idea if that is an Intua or Apple restriction though.

By the looks of it Serif have blown all the crap out of the water and now everybody needs to follow suit, there are no excuses or blame games anymore ;)

• @5pinlink said:
    By the looks of it Serif have blown all the crap out of the water and now everybody needs to follow suit, there are no excuses or blame games anymore ;)

Yes!

@mefisme not sure what setting you mean, but the document storage option in the BM3 settings in Settings.app is iCloud storage for me. I don’t know if I ever set or changed that before, but I definitely don’t even see any BeatMaker 3 files on my iPhone in Files.app. So I’m gonna go ahead and change that to ‘on my ipad’ So I don’t inadvertently fill up my iCloud storage with all the stuff I’m gonna have in BM3 if that option ever starts working.

• edited February 2018

@ronji said:

@5pinlink said:

Yes!

@mefisme not sure what setting you mean, but the document storage option in the BM3 settings in Settings.app is iCloud storage for me. I don’t know if I ever set or changed that before, but I definitely don’t even see any BeatMaker 3 files on my iPhone in Files.app. So I’m gonna go ahead and change that to ‘on my ipad’ So I don’t inadvertently fill up my iCloud storage with all the stuff I’m gonna have in BM3 if that option ever starts working.

Good move. Really good move. That’s how I have it set. Just in case. Lol.

@5pinlink thanks for the correction. Absolutely bonkers IMO how this is working. No idea if it’s Apple or BM3 either. No app is doing this to test against?

• edited February 2018

No idea to be honest, there has been no 3rd party replacement for files.app, which had most people believing files support was actually minimal, then you have developers like the developer of Audioshare saying saying files support is going to be a lot of work, then does the complete pile of crap support Audioshare has (location, not on ipad)

Then somebody (Serif in this case) has pulled a @brambos and actually investigated possibilities outside the documented spec, and done things how they should be.

There is a little bit too much willing by IOS and OSX developers to blindly follow Apples documented ideals, but you cant blame developers that much when Apple are known, in fact famous for "New Release, Stuff stops working"