BM3 Battle #06 - Junglist Massive! (Deadline March 11)

Comments

• @ronji said:
    @5pinlink dammit!! Hahaha

Sorry mate, the second beat on that was just too sick, so keeping it for a full release lol

• @5pinlink ah I see =) yes it was sick! At least some of us were fortunate enough to hear it while it was up haha

Yes that lil jungle kit sounds great!

• Jungle 01 - Drumnkit
    Thread

• edited March 2018

Having some more fun with the ragga jungle style...

(WIP removed... search my SoundCloud if you want to hear the earlier version)

• @tk32 - Sweet! Keep it up, mon! :D

• edited March 2018

Ha! I'm having too much fun with this battle.

Apologies for spamming the thread, but here's a little taste of some late 90s DJ Zinc style jump-up clownstep:

(WIP removed... search my SoundCloud if you want to hear the earlier version)

• Hahaha which one are you gonna go with for the battle tho @tk32 ?

• Perhaps I'll make an EP ;)

• So quiet here..

Hope I didn't scare you all away with my dutty WIPs ;)

...and I really hope you haven't all abandoned @ronji's rude boy challenge in favour of that pay-to-enter Space-X promotion competition

• @tk32 said:
    So quiet here..

Hope I didn't scare you all away with my dutty WIPs ;)

...and I really hope you haven't all abandoned @ronji's rude boy challenge in favour of that pay-to-enter Space-X promotion competition

Hahaha! You do seem to be one of the producers here most apt to posting WIP tracks, at least of those I've seen active in the battles. =) I still haven't had a chance to get a good WIP created to share yet, but I'm still planning on it!

Thankfully, the Space X compo is over more than a week before this one is over. I might try and throw something together for that this weekend. But don't forget about your old pal "Forum Battle" over here!

• I'm flattered you refer to me as a producer.

If anyone asks me I say I'm just an 'audio tinkerer' permanently in training for a (non-existant) first release :)

• @tk32 when i get the record cutter overhauled tgis year, we will be talking about some releases, dont you worry ;)

FYI i think WIP in battle threads should be banned, it has the effect of putting some people off "Cant beat that, cant be arsed" mentality can be a killer, no matter how unfounded it may be ;)

But at the same time, i think that user battle threads need to take a bit of a break if Intua are doing official ones, it is only fair to the guys at Intua trying to promote and stay afloat, which is good for all of us.
    Two compos running at a time, something has to give unfirtunately.

• edited February 2018

Thanks @5pinlink for providing the voice of reason.

I'm really not keen on pay-to-enter.. but I do want Intua to get all the financial support it needs to continue.

And I think I agree with you re: posting work-in-progress tracks. I posted them because I thought it might encourage people to get involved, but perhaps it was a slight mistake. Maybe we need to try getting everyone to post finished entries on the same day, since early submissions could be similarly off-putting?

I still think we should continue doing our free battles each month, however, and don't agree that it will impact the 'official' competitions. That one finishes in a week anyway.

• Just over a week to go.

Looking forward to hear what everyone has been working on over the last month.

Get those lighters and whistles ready..

• @5pinlink said:
    Jungle 01 - Drumnkit
    Thread

MAN! thank you for all the treats, glad @ronji inspired you w/ this compo ;)

@5pinlink said:
    FYI i think WIP in battle threads should be banned, it has the effect of putting some people off "Cant beat that, cant be arsed" mentality can be a killer, no matter how unfounded it may be ;)

But at the same time, i think that user battle threads need to take a bit of a break if Intua are doing official ones, it is only fair to the guys at Intua trying to promote and stay afloat, which is good for all of us.
    Two compos running at a time, something has to give unfirtunately.

Yeeeeah I'm kinda the same opinion that WIP shouldn't be revealed along the way... it's fun getting avote pack and seeing what everyone came up with all at once. for weeklybeats there's even synced listening sessions.

and also I don't think intua would be anti-anything that draws people to the form, community compos included. since i'm doing a beat a week anyway i could feasible attack both

but i had no idea the pay to play compo was by intua themselves... feelin sheepish i was after sponsorship over in that thread lol

• edited March 2018

My bloodclaat entry is about as ready as it's ever gonna be..

Presenting to you...

TK32 - Just Bloodclaat Do It (Double A-side 12" dubplate bizness)
    A side: Highway Stick Up
    AA side: Paignton Rudeboy

• Why Paignton Rudeboy ?

• edited March 2018

SoundCloud says I have a fan there. It's an homage ;)

Apparently I also have a fan in Dusseldorf.. but it didn't have quite the same ring to it.

• edited March 2018

Yeah its weird how it registers me as Paignton, Im like 5-10 miles away from Paignton lol.

• Want be to rename it Totnes Soundboy ;)

• I lived there too lol

• great tracks, @tk32!

on the topic of posting WIP biz, I can see the argument either way. the way we've been running these battles so far, basically encouraging or at least allowing people to post their submissions as soon as they're ready, I dunno if posting WIPs really is much different. we've had submissions within the first week of the competition. would completely finished tracks submitted way early be more or less of a detriment compared to WIP? I dunno. I'm fine setting the rules either way going forward, if necessary, but I figure posting anything with BM3 in social media channels can at least possibly help with the draw to these battles. that was my intent when I made the suggestion, at least. in the feedback alliance remix challenges I participate in, it's not even a contest with a winner, but they stress not posting anything on social platforms before the final combined mix drops. we are allowed to share with friends, but just not online, and I think that's mostly to keep the release a surprise, as the challenge is posted in a private group to begin with.

anyway, I hope we get some more subs in before the deadline. =)

• Weird month again cause of the other Compo, im sure there will be more though.

• edited March 2018

and for anyone sitting on the fence, we're a friendly bunch and will be gentle with your rough and ready tracks*, so...

JUST BLOODCLAAT DO IT.

*mine are only 1 level above polished turds anyway

• If all goes well I’ll post one of my usually rather unpolished things as well :)
    Quiet the challenge, way out of my comfort zone! Hats off to you already @tk32

• And if anyone has any questions about how to do something or get a particular vibe or effect, just ask here! These battles are a great way to learn new tricks and get more familiar with BM3 =)

• Right.

My projects are a bit of a mess, but I am happy to share them (providing you have the plugins I use) if anyone wants to see how I make stuff

• edited March 2018

@ronji said:
    And if anyone has any questions about how to do something or get a particular vibe or effect, just ask here! These battles are a great way to learn new tricks and get more familiar with BM3 =)

How do i do the sub bass from drop top caddy please ?

• You are very generous people <3
    Been listening to a lot of early jungle lately (which proved to be rather surprising in a good way). Don’t know how I missed all that at the time.
    No ambient, promise, but I’m afraid the theme so far is not entirely unrelated to shit... :D

• edited March 2018

Aren't all sub basses different types of sine waves (occasionally triangles) with a sprinkling of EQ and FX?

If you mean the Aphrodite & Mickey Finn track then the melodic bass sounds a bit like a single-sampled Juno 60 or Minimoog (or similar)