BM3 Battle #06 - Junglist Massive! (Deadline March 11)

124»

Comments

• edited March 2018

@starpause future! Great track man, dig the blippy beats and gross bass =)

• @tk32 said:
    I'm counting on @ronji to eliminate me with a homemade neuro and tasty amen

...and then I remembered @ronji was hosting, so would not be submitting an entry himself. Doh.

Big thanks and respect to @denx and @starpause for their submissions - but why so few? This one deserved a lot more, especially looking back at the number of users who replied in this thread.

Was it timing, theme, decline in forum activity, or Space-X?

• Can't speak for anyone else but I think the past couple of battles proved hard for me to get motivated for down to them being genre specific. Free time's in short supply so using it to make tracks in a style of music that I don't heavily connect with is hard to justify, outside of it just being a kind of learning experience. Which is cool, but I can just as easily learn new tricks/sounds while trying to make music that I'd want to listen to ;) Not a dig at any genre or anything like that, I'm totally open minded and each to their own. Just for me personally it doesn't really appeal to use time to make music that feels like I'm kind of faking it. Makes me feel kind of like I'm in a tribute band ;)

• Love the posted tracks. Paignton Rudeboy is a real gem. Hackney Rudeboy is probably my favourite jungle track of all time!

Personally, I didn’t feel I had the time or the chops to do d&b/jungle justice. I’m starting a new job today so it has been a busy time of life.

Keep it rollin’!

• Thanks Gus :)

Do you mean this one by any chance?

• Hope no one took offence at my previous comment. I can listen to entries and appreciate the skill (Will check then out when I get a minute). Like I can listen to any genre and appreciate it in one way or another. But it's kind of like how I can also listen to a violinist and appreciate their skill. Doesn't mean I'm going to spend time learning violin ;) Was just saying that I think there'd probably be more entries for battles if they were open genre? Just my 5 cents tho ;)

• edited March 2018

Nobody likes all music, the world would be a pretty boring place if we all did ;)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Like i said before, i dont think forum battles should run at the same time as company competitions, time is a finite commodity for nearly everybody, the company competitions offer way more exposure etc, so they will (rightly so by the way) take precident in most users cases.

Then again i dont enter, so maybe i should just STFU ;)

• A real shame the Space-X comp came out-of-the-blue a week after this battle launched

We had no idea there would be a clash.

• Its asking a bit much to co-ordinate all with whoever is running the competition in a particular month to be honest.

Maybe we should go chain mail instead of beat battle ?

Years ago on the old bulletin boards, somebody would start a song by creating a single track on a 4 track tape, then pass it on, next person added a track and passed on it on etc etc.

Its not a battle, but it still users interacting with no genre pressure or rules.

Just an idea.

• edited March 2018

Or the other alternative is do a Mini Compilation every 2 months

All genres allowed - one entry per user ;)

You can submit any time before the deadline - no votes/no competitiveness - just a showcase for you to focus towards every 8 weeks?

• edited March 2018

I will be honest, i dont have the time to make an entire song just for forum duties (sorry if that sounds harsh, but i would rather be building up the sample pack library, sorry) but an hour to add to a partial track or do a remix etc is doable (again this is just me, i have priorities elsewhere)

Remix competitions are a bit less regimented too, here Remix this, no genre etc specified.

• I'm down for taking out the competitive aspect of it. Personally, I like the challenge of working towards a prompt, whether there's a winner or not, to advance my own skills in production. It's difficult to run a monthly competition right now due to having a relatively small group of participants. Having compilations is good too, but the pressure there is producing something you feel is "finished" enough, which is a personal challenge. I just want creative prompts =)

Remix challenges are probably easier to hold. I'd also be down for collaborating!

• My favourite is still the Digital Vertigo format competitions "Heres a recording of a rare album, sample the shit out of it and make a tune"

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Digital Vertigo idea sounds good to me.

Here's a track... Make something from it.

• edited March 2018

We could all submit a rare track (deep cut) and then vote on which one gets used for the challenge

Doing some voting up front helps to gauge the level of interest/commitment

• edited March 2018

@ronji said:

aaah! future is my favorite, glad it came through! and thanks for hosting

@5pinlink said:
    Maybe we should go chain mail instead of beat battle ?

Years ago on the old bulletin boards, somebody would start a song by creating a single track on a 4 track tape, then pass it on, next person added a track and passed on it on etc etc.

I love this idea... like an aural exquisite corpse! and something quite different than the compos that are being associated with the pay packs (which I'll get on next time, wish I'd done one for space x tbh)

@tk32 said:
    We could all submit a rare track (deep cut) and then vote on which one gets used for the challenge

Or, to keep things even more simple, each person gets to submit 6 seconds or a bar of a track. All of them combined is the sample pack for the month/quarter/whatever and go to town.

@Heyez said:
    Free time's in short supply so using it to make tracks in a style of music that I don't heavily connect with is hard to justify, outside of it just being a kind of learning experience. Which is cool, but I can just as easily learn new tricks/sounds while trying to make music that I'd want to listen to ;)

have to repectfully disagree here... regardless of what sound you're into, digging into tricks that make up a genre give you new tools to apply in your own productions... and it's not like anyone is busting balls over how close you are to a genrefied track... so from the start the compo seems more like bring ideas from a genre to your sound... no fakes aloud ;)

• @ronji said:

future is my fav! glad it came through =) thanks for hosting!

@Heyez said:
    Can't speak for anyone else but I think the past couple of battles proved hard for me to get motivated for down to them being genre specific.

disagree, love the genre specific thing because as you said, it's a good lesson. no one is busting balls on how genrefied your submissions are so the ask is always to check out a genre, see if there's anything interesting to bring to your own sound, submit that. no fakes aloud ;)

@5pinlink said:
    Then again i dont enter, so maybe i should just STFU ;)

i used your longest chop ever and neuros so we can call it a collob B) thanks again for all the resources you dump here!

@5pinlink said:

love this kind of thing, collab > compo, aural exquisite corpse. if anyone just wants to collab, the source material for all my weeklybeats is available and i'm always down to throw project files around. so much inspiration to open up someone elses stuff and dig into how it's made... faster than watching video tutorials too.

@tk32 said:

>

maybe even simplier (no vote before we start) is to have everyone submit 6 seconds, # of bars from a track, or loop from their pick and the sum of those parts is the sample pack for the week/month/quarter/whatever

(sorry if you are seeing this message twice, somehow nuked my first reply when i was trying to edit it... glitchmaster gray)

• @tk32 said:

Was it timing, theme, decline in forum activity, or Space-X?

Well i can speak for my own and i have to say that i was very motivated at first and collected samples and stuff but then my 9 to 5 and family came in the pot. Couldn’t give it the time i wanted to spend. So that has nothing to do with the style or decision @ronji did. Was a great choice and loved the entries so far.

Hope to join another Beat Battle in the future. I also liked both ideas from @5pinlink with the digital vertigo stuff or to collab on a song adding a track after the other. Maybe it could be a (tag) team battle were we can do songs with 2-4 people together in a team ;-)

Keep up the great work forum!

• @5pinlink said:
    My favourite is still the Digital Vertigo format competitions "Heres a recording of a rare album, sample the shit out of it and make a tune"

Rhythm roulette style though...randomly pick 3 albums, find your samples, rip’em flip’em and stick’em. Each participant will have different material with a common denominator called BEATMAKER 3. Video record the process.
    Example:

• Thats not really my thing to be honest, i like everybody to start with the same content, and in this case Beatmaker only too, then you get an idea for how wildly different peoples imaginations can be with the same content and tools.

As simple as possible to do, but again that is only me.

• Sign me up @5pinlink - I'm keen to give it a try

I like the idea of seeing where people end up using the same source content

• Will be up to whoever wins the battle :)

• @tk32 said:
    Thanks Gus :)

Do you mean this one by any chance?

Ya! Rudie!! That’s the one. Romford massive. it’s been a few years! :smiley:

Top tune.

• @5pinlink said:
    Thats not really my thing to be honest...
    ...As simple as possible to do, but again that is only me.

not your thing?
    Ok, Maybe El-p then

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=PL_QcLOtFJOUgNxURr8B4lNtf_3e9fWZzl&v=q06UxOKc7io

Although, I do agree with the last sentiment of simplicity.

• @5pinlink said:
    Will be up to whoever wins the battle :)

that’s a heavy burden for the poor sod 😉

• @denx said:

@5pinlink said:

which might be you ;)

• @tk32 said:

@denx said:

@5pinlink said:

which might be you ;)

Well, there’s still at least 33.3% or so chance it’s you. But yes, I do feel a slight feeling of concern creeping up on me 🤪