›

BM3 Battle #07 - BANK💢BANK💢 (Deadline March 31st for banks, 14th April for songs)

Comments

• @GusGranite said:
    Lol, I’ll be starting mine two nights before the deadline as before...

Honestly that's how all my weeklybeats go... If I get to start on Friday or durring the week that's great... Saturday I'm like OH SHIT BETTER TRACK then I can sleep on it and mix Sunday morning before submitting 🙌

• Been messing around with the chiptune kawai k1 single cycles - 1mb

These are totally dope!

The cycles are all 150 samples long, which means they are all tuned to a D3 with +2 cents fine tuning.

(unless my calculations are off...)

• edited April 2018

@DeanDaughters said:
    Been messing around with the chiptune kawai k1 single cycles - 1mb

These are totally dope!

The cycles are all 150 samples long, which means they are all tuned to a D3 with +2 cents fine tuning.

(unless my calculations are off...)

...and I'm having even more fun with @5pinlink's awesome collection of single cycles that come bundled with his synths pack

p.s. just realised the limiter on my Melted Crates bank is in lookahead mode, which will cause havoc with timing. I suggest you turn off lookahead, or remove the limiter entirely

• edited April 2018

Mine are always tuned straight to C, load, loop, play.......actually not strictly true, try some of them without looping lol, you will get that perfect ptt ptt kick drum that layers with an 808 kick like a melonfarmer !!!!!

• Seriously... fighting... urge... to post... work in progress

:#

Hope everyone is having the same fun with this challenge I am. I'm also attempting Kawaii genre for the first time ever (or perhaps some of my much earlier stuff was actually kawaii without me realising it)

Anyone else got a status update on their progess?

• edited April 2018

Kidding aside, there were plenty of banks so should be a few entries :)

• There were 30 banks! I’ve started a new session for my submission and threw all the banks in, will be working on it more this weekend.

• edited April 2018

I've tried to use something from everyone who submitted banks.

Tbh though, as cool as it sounds, I'm slightly struggling to make @GusGranite's bank fit the Kawaii genre ;)

• @tk32 just pitch it way up ;)

• Did I miss the Kawaii memo?

I didn’t even know what it was until this thread... :smiley:

• Hey Gus,

The Kawaii genre is completely optional, but @starpause thought it might be fun (and suits all those single cycles pretty well)

• edited April 2018

Right.

Sorry, I won’t be trying to make a Kawaii track, lol...

And not because it is not cool, but because I am not talented enough!

• My track will be 172 bpm and you can tell me if it's kawaii or not :joy:

• edited April 2018

I will be surprised if i get past ten seconds listening if the songs are Kawaii, I appreciate all forms of music has it's place, but my ears have allergies.

• Mine is currently 150bpm, but I might increase it a little before final export.

I've used one of your banks 5pin, so sincere apologies in advance if it ends up doing permanent reputational damage to your professional credibility ;)

• edited April 2018

Adding all of the banks in one session, and playing a fairly simple set of patterns utilizing only a few banks so far, and hearing crackles when simply selecting other banks or even tapping notes into patterns, seeing the CPU spike 0-50-0-60-0-up to 80ish sometimes (2015 iPad Pro iOS 11.3), and it really makes me wish we could tell which banks were causing this. I've started removing fx on some of the banks, but it's not made a lot of difference yet. I'm still making progress, and will eventually remove banks I don't think I'll use, but dang.

• edited April 2018

It would be amazing if the DSP/CPU reading could be expanded to show which banks/plugins were causing the biggest drain.

I'm not using all banks, and in a few cases I loaded up just the samples I wanted and ditched the rest. I can't imagine anyone will need all 100+ of iOTA's English pronunciations :)

• @ronji said:
    Adding all of the banks in one session, and playing a fairly simple set of patterns utilizing only a few banks so far, and hearing crackles when simply selecting other banks or even tapping notes into patterns, seeing the CPU spike 0-50-0-60-0-up to 80ish sometimes (2015 iPad Pro iOS 11.3), and it really makes me wish we could tell which banks were causing this. I've started removing fx on some of the banks, but it's not made a lot of difference yet. I'm still making progress, and will eventually remove banks I don't think I'll use, but dang.

Could be worth starting with deleting my banks, i do use effects and macros as part of the presets, both will add CPU.

• Off to the mountains (not metaphorically) so I won’t be able to join in this time. Looks like rain all week, though 😂. Looking forward to hearing your sumbissions when I’m back. Good luck and good fun!

• I finished my track today! Sitting on it... maybe I'll do a 2nd one... 😆

• edited April 2018

Same here.

..and I also made a quick D&B track with a few of the challenge banks and posted to SoundCloud today for fun

• @5pinlink @ronji converting some of those midi/AU files to audio and then delete the original (midi) track has helped me get rid of some of the crackling issues...

• I chopped up the first break in @GusGranite’s GusGusBankBank bank for use in my submission. =)

Lemme know if y’all think I should share it in here, before or after

• Sounds great, but I think it was the heavy baked-in reverb that put me off using this break in my track(s)

• Nice one @ronji! Love it.

@tk32 do you have FAC Transient? I know it can’t remove the reverb or anything, but it might help shape the sound a little?

• I've got Transient, so I'll give it a try. :)

• You wont be fixing those with Transient, they are slightly metalic sounding in the reverb.

EQ>>Transient>>EQ>>Limiter might get you some action ?

• @tk32 said:
    Sounds great, but I think it was the heavy baked-in reverb that put me off using this break in my track(s)

I pitched it a bit to make some of the melodic elements blend into my track better, but as far as the reverb, can’t AHDSR be used to reduce the tails of each hit? Maybe not enough? I’m gonna play with that some and see what happens.

• The reverb sound is heavy over the hit itself, there is a bit of ringing that needs to be removed (if you are that way inclined) personally i would pitch em up, flange em a little, make a DnB tune lol

• edited April 2018

@5pinlink said:
    ...personally i would pitch em up, flange em a little, make a DnB tune lol

I already did that using a couple of the early challenge banks ;)
    (this isn't my entry btw.. it's not Kawaii enough)