Upgrade BM3 Pencil Support *Updated*

*Updated

@5pinlink, I updated and simplified the OP but the idea remains. Apple Pencil could be a killer midi controller for BM3 on iPad Pro. Most BM3/Pencil users are always looking for new ways to use it. iPad Pro and Pencil exclusive sensor tech unlocks many new expressive possibilities for BM3. Interested in your take and assistance in getting this prioritized.

*OP below

The tech is there to make Apple Pencil an amazing and game changing midi tool for BM3.

Several of Korgs Gadgets and other apps like Pen2Bow currently explore this.

Id like to play my snares, hats and toms like a traditional drumset with two apple pencils. Imagine the drum rolls and realistic hats?

Id like to tap out chords the same way with wide ranges of velocity, cutoff, other parameters tied to how hard or what angle i tap the pad/keys with my pencil.

It will expand BM3s expressiveness exponentially, make mobile music production even more mobile and further solidify BM3 as the undisputed Badass of ios production.

Comments

• One downside is that the iPad can only sync one pencil at a time right now. It does work for drum rolls though, very responsive bounce recognition, however too many rolls in a row tends to confuse BM3 in my experience.

I haven't noticed any Korg Gadget features that really take advantage of the pencil, which modules are you referring to?

The pencil is interesting with the Animoog interface, you can really take advantage of the pressure sensitivity.

• @Maxon_DaLow said:
    One downside is that the iPad can only sync one pencil at a time right now.

Thanks @Maxon_DaLow. I overlooked that tiny little detail and doubt Apple would ever enable multiple pencil sync for one usage case. Not much of a no brainer after all. Welp. Cool thought anyway.

Agreed on Animoog pencil support.

I think Madrid has an arrow that when pressed gives you “long” keys that have velocity and pitch changes depending on where on the key you tap. I think. But...my OP illustrates how NOT brilliant any of my posts inspired by Kush are.lol

• Thanks @Maxon_DaLow. I overlooked that tiny little detail and doubt Apple would ever enable multiple pencil sync for one usage case. Not much of a no brainer after all. Welp. Cool thought anyway.

I looked into it, the controller just doesn't have logic for dealing with two pencils. It's probably technically possible, but you might not get the same latency or quality if they do.

There are plenty of use cases, most of them involving two people using the same iPad for something. Since the product is so new, I don't see them doing this any time soon when they have even developed a native way to use the iPad as an external monitor (which will happen in the next few years).