›

BM3 Battle 09 - 🍽Culinary Menagerie🍽 - Closed for Entries

edited June 2018 in BeatMakers Showcase

BM3 Battle 09 - Culinary Menagerie

Original theme from @d4d0ug

BM3 + iPad mic + Kitchen

Of course you technically could trim a sample down to it’s bare bits and make a brilliant dubstep hit but the timbre should be more Musique Concrete or classic BBC Radiophonic Workshop in that you can somewhat smell/sense the source and not just processed single cycle waveforms... but of course microwaves do beep.

Music style, rhythm, melody etc is whatever you like.

-No IAA or AU fx / instruments allowed for any stage, including mastering.

Any refinements to the rules etc, let me know! :)

Deadline for submissions Sunday June 17

———————
TK32

———————
AUDIOGUS

———————
DENX

——————
D4DOUG

Comments

• edited May 2018

No external plugins meaning no IAA or AU fx? Only BM3 internal fx and tools? This will be fun. =)

Also need to set the deadline for submissions!

• Completely out of my comfort zone here... which is probably exactly what I need!

The good news is we still have access to MVerb :)

Gonna buy some spare veggies on the way home from work so I can chop and grate to my heart's content

• p.s. should we go for a slightly shorter deadline this time?

How about 3 weeks from now?

• @tk32 said:
    Completely out of my comfort zone here... which is probably exactly what I need!

The good news is we still have access to MVerb :)

Gonna buy some spare veggies on the way home from work so I can chop and grate to my heart's content

Great idea, think I will hit the dollar store at lunch.

p.s. should we go for a slightly shorter deadline this time?

How about 3 weeks from now?

Deal

• Suggestions on how to get a clean recording might be helpful. Turn off refrigerator and AC for recording? Wait until they're not running? Set iPad on a steady surface so it doesn't move or vibrate or get touched during recording?

Your point about microwave beeping is a good one! Some appliances these days can have melodies and other sounds for startup or for button presses, etc. Are those allowed? If so I'm definitely recording those haha! At the same time, if your refrigerator has a web browser I assume it would not be ok to use it for YouTube, etc. And you can't record your Amazon Echo or Google Home, unless you're tapping/rubbing/banging on it.

Also, I'll probably fill some items with water, like some crystal stemware I have, get that ringing singing effect!

• @Audiogus Good one 🙂
    I’ll be using my iphone mic, though, if that’s ok. I ran over my rucksack with the car while my ipad was in it (don’t ask), so now its held together with ducktape. Unfortunatly right over the mic.

• For recording stuff, should you use audioshare, it’s good to remember to set it to measure mode. The setting doesn’t seem to stick.

• edited May 2018

@ronji said:
    Suggestions on how to get a clean recording might be helpful. Turn off refrigerator and AC for recording? Wait until they're not running? Set iPad on a steady surface so it doesn't move or vibrate or get touched during recording?

Hmmm, tru dat... although, background noise could add ambience. Intentionally leaving water running in the background at times for certain percussive samples etc could be interesting. A/C could provide a nice drone. Yah not having noise reducer AUs available could be a limitation but at the same time the intention is to explore what is there in BM3. Just this morning I realized how un-explored the base fx have been for me as the default for me is to shamefuly hit that AU / IAA FX button.

Your point about microwave beeping is a good one! Some appliances these days can have melodies and other sounds for startup or for button presses, etc. Are those allowed? If so I'm definitely recording those haha!

Sure, why not? They are all a part of the modern kitchen ambience. I think as long as people feel 'ahh yah, that was a kitchen' on some level, then mission accomplished. But then again that is just my take on the general parameters.
    As for just how much digital editing influence / creative there is over actual cheese grater playing finesse... well that is up to each of us to explore and express. If people want to submit photos/explanations of their process too that would be cool.

At the same time, if your refrigerator has a web browser I assume it would not be ok to use it for YouTube, etc. And you can't record your Amazon Echo or Google Home, unless you're tapping/rubbing/banging on it.

Haha, yah I think googling 'Radiophonic Workshop' or even 'Radiohead' on your fridge and sampling it for five minutes could be cheating but who am I to judge?

Also, I'll probably fill some items with water, like some crystal stemware I have, get that ringing singing effect!

Oh right, totally forgot about wine glasses, nice!

• @denx said:
    For recording stuff, should you use audioshare, it’s good to remember to set it to measure mode. The setting doesn’t seem to stick.

BM3 has measurement measurement too (under Settings Audio & Midi Devices) and it seems to stick as long as no other audio apps are running when launching the app :)

I guess the one of the few ways to do 'vocals' for this competition are happy kitchen accidents involving some hot or sharp objects hehe...

• @denx said:
    @Audiogus Good one 🙂
    I’ll be using my iphone mic, though, if that’s ok. I ran over my rucksack with the car while my ipad was in it (don’t ask), so now its held together with ducktape. Unfortunatly right over the mic.

Oh my goodness! Sorry to hear that. Sure yah, if you need audioshare go for it. Raw apple mic sound into BM3 however obtained makes sense.

• @samu said:

@denx said:
    For recording stuff, should you use audioshare, it’s good to remember to set it to measure mode. The setting doesn’t seem to stick.

BM3 has measurement measurement too (under Settings Audio & Midi Devices) and it seems to stick as long as no other audio apps are running when launching the app :)

I guess the one of the few ways to do 'vocals' for this competition are happy kitchen accidents involving some hot or sharp objects hehe...

Bonus points awarded for kitchen freak out appliance destruction.

• @samu yes, one ofthe things I love about bm3, unfortunately it doesn’t run on my iphone (yet). 🙂

• @Audiogus said:

Bonus points awarded for kitchen freak out appliance destruction.

That's one of the few ways to do percussions sounds right?

I recall one old issue of Future Music magazine where they had a sampling tutorial involving stuff found in the kitchen and well, breaking stuff and playing them sounds back veeeeery slowly could produce some interesting results :)

• Awesome incentive! This will be fun :-)

• Oops, I dropped my iPhone in the blender... (j/k)

• edited May 2018

@Audiogus : shall we also make this our first ever anonymous entry battle - or would you prefer to keep it like before?

If so, we can receive all entries via private PM links to Dropbox/WeTransfer/etc and then upload all tracks anonymously to a new SoundCloud battle account.

It means everyone is voting blind.. choosing the track without knowing who made it.

Your choice, champ.

• ..> @tk32 said:

@Audiogus : shall we also make this our first ever anonymous entry battle - or would you prefer to keep it like before?

If so, we can receive all entries via private PM links to Dropbox/WeTransfer/etc and then upload all tracks anonymously to a new SoundCloud battle account.

It means everyone is voting blind.. choosing the track without knowing who made it.

Your choice, champ.

Anonymous sounds great. Maybe we could also allow multiple entries?

• @GusGranite said:
    Oops, I dropped my iPhone in the blender... (j/k)

“whew, iPhone smoke. Don’t breathe this!”

My wife and I did a similar challenge for feedback alliance that was all about sourcing your own foley, and we used the blender too :joy:

• Great brief! Definitely up for this one :) Says no AU instruments/fx... Is it also no AU sequencers? Hardware/iaa sequencers? Just thinking Arpeggiators/Rozeta etc. Cool either way, just don't wanna accidentally cheat ;)
    Gonna grab my iPad and hit the kitchen...

• @Heyez said:
    Great brief! Definitely up for this one :) Says no AU instruments/fx... Is it also no AU sequencers? Hardware/iaa sequencers? Just thinking Arpeggiators/Rozeta etc. Cool either way, just don't wanna accidentally cheat ;)

I am thinking no external devices or apps with the exception of an iPhone and Audioshare in case you run over your iPad with a car... but what are the odds of that happening twice?

• I'm gonna try using potato chips for percussion sounds.

If it wasn't anonymous I would have called the track 'Snax-el Foley' ;)

• So no limit on vocals?

• @tk32 said:

Your choice, champ.

Why the anonymity vibes? I always thought it was kinda nice to pat each other on the back in a community kind of way. I think it's cool to hear music from the people we chat with, probably none of us will ever meet each other so it's cool to at least hear each others jams and be able to chat openly about them? Just my 5 cents ;)

• As long as you record them in the kitchen lol

• It's only anonymous until after the vote - then the names get added back to the tracks.

It also means people can comment on the tracks without feeling like they have to be reserved, or constantly praise everything.

It's the previous battle champ's choice... We will follow whatever they decide.

• @Audiogus said:

@Heyez said:
    Great brief! Definitely up for this one :) Says no AU instruments/fx... Is it also no AU sequencers? Hardware/iaa sequencers? Just thinking Arpeggiators/Rozeta etc. Cool either way, just don't wanna accidentally cheat ;)

I am thinking no external devices or apps with the exception of an iPhone and Audioshare in case you run over your iPad with a car... but what are the odds of that happening twice?

Haha, cool.

• @tk32 said:
    It's only anonymous until after the vote - then the names get added back to the tracks.

It also means people can comment on the tracks without feeling like they have to be reserved, or constantly praise everything.

It's the previous battle champ's choice... We will follow whatever they decide.

All good :)

• Just grabbed initial samples for this. Little tip for anyone struggling for kick drums.. Whip a Tea Towel in the air a couple inches from iPad mic.... Surprisingly boomy ;)

• Or pound a cabinet door with your fist, perhaps? I’m now very intrigued to hear what the towel snap sounds like though!

• I’m gonna do a cover of the Skull Snaps but call it the Towel Snaps.