Don’t snooze on scene mode.

edited June 2018 in General

Always ignored it until yesterday honestly. Usually tapped into Scene mode on accident. It’s my favorite way to make beats now. Super simple to build out and audition variations. Anyways, back to exploring scene mode for me. Just wanted to send a wake up call to anyone out there sleeping on B3 scene mode.

Gotta dig through the forum and hunt down scene mode tricks or treats now. If ya have any link or list em below.

Comments

• I get into it at times but then soon I am like a cat with tape on its tail, freak out, spin around and find myself in the timeline again. I know it is good for me, particularly for the seductive polyrhythms.

• @Audiogus said:
    I get into it at times but then soon I am like a cat with tape on its tail, freak out, spin around and find myself in the timeline again. I know it is good for me, particularly for the seductive polyrhythms.

That first sentence is funny as shit man. I always avoided it. don’t know what happened. It just kinda clicked for me yesterday. Hope it gets some love in the coming update. There’s a few things that really bug me about it.

Is there a way to quick trim loops from the beginning of a pattern? Currently can only drag loops from the end. Be great to be able to quickly trim the first 2 bars of a 4 bar pattern on the fly in Scene mode. I don’t think it’s possible in the Timeline either come to think of it.

• Nevermind that last paragraph. Had a really dumb moment. Duh.

• All my songs begin in scene mode. It’s indespensible for me

• @groovey said:
    All my songs begin in scene mode. It’s indespensible for me

So what’s your excuse for not alerting the rest of the bros? Keeping all the indespensible to yourself eh?lol. Kidding. I think I’m with you from here. Scene mode for the win.

Does anyone know if scene mode is getting any love in the big 3.1 update?

• @WillieNegus said:

@groovey said:
    All my songs begin in scene mode. It’s indespensible for me

So what’s your excuse for not alerting the rest of the bros? Keeping all the indespensible to yourself eh?lol. Kidding. I think I’m with you from here. Scene mode for the win.

Does anyone know if scene mode is getting any love in the big 3.1 update?

I’ve made several posts over time extolling the virtues of how good it is and how I use it, but other than yourself not many seemed to agree, even going so far as to say they find it useless. I piped up every time when people mentioned it was of no value, to defend how good it actually is, in fear that it would not get any more development behind it, if people weren’t using it enough. So we shall see if 3.1 brings anything new. It only needs a few small things to make the workflow smoother. And A lot are asking for record to timeline which I don’t axtually need personally but seems a lot of people do. It just needs tweaks with the copy n pasting and moving of scenes etc.
    Scenes has completely changed the way I produce music. My ideas flow down so fast and from there you can bust out an entire track. So quickly. It’s awesome.

• Agreed. Absolutely changing the way I do things. Almost had a tantrum for realizing that I’d been among the masses of idiots who ignored or dismissed it for so long. Salute to @mathieugarcia for the foresight and patience with strangers who knew not what he did.lol

• @WillieNegus said:
    Agreed. Absolutely changing the way I do things. Almost had a tantrum for realizing that I’d been among the masses of idiots who ignored or dismissed it for so long. Salute to @mathieugarcia for the foresight and patience with strangers who knew not what he did.lol

That Austin powers dr evil in me, is very happy that people are sleeping on this, as it means I have an extra tool trick in my arsenal that no one else is using mwaha ha ha (rubbing chin mischievously). It does mean however that ima have to take you out with my laser guided missile though seeing as you have now discovered it too...

• edited June 2018

Haha...I’m thinking there’s scores of people out here just keeping their Scene Mode love to themselves tucked ever so neatly in their underground lair.

• I’m 50/50 on scene mode. For me I just get irritated with not being able to delete a pattern on the scene without deleting the whole scene. I can do all the same things on the time line so I just stay there.

• @stormywaterz said:
    I’m 50/50 on scene mode. For me I just get irritated with not being able to delete a pattern on the scene without deleting the whole scene. I can do all the same things on the time line so I just stay there.

Huh? Press the stop icon and it removes the pattern. No scene is ever deleted unless you delete the scene itself.

• @korakios said:
    The scene mode has a lot of potentials beside launching clips . It could be also used as an audio/midi recorder/looper .

Tell me more if you will...

• I just played around with it again and realised what turned me off the most is that merging and splitting patterns messes up automation data. I would love to go back and forth between scenes and the timeline editing clips more but this limitation just keeps me sticking to the timeline exclusively now.

• Oh ok...I was about to say wtf am I missing now?!

• @Audiogus said:
    I just played around with it again and realised what turned me off the most is that merging and splitting patterns messes up automation data. I would love to go back and forth between scenes and the timeline editing clips more but this limitation just keeps me sticking to the timeline exclusively now.

I just discovered this and it really bummed me out. But, I still like it to get the going going.lol

• @Audiogus said:
    I just played around with it again and realised what turned me off the most is that merging and splitting patterns messes up automation data. I would love to go back and forth between scenes and the timeline editing clips more but this limitation just keeps me sticking to the timeline exclusively now.

But how and what’s the scenario whereby why would you want to merge or split a pattern in a scene for that to ever be an issue

• @groovey said:

@stormywaterz said:
    I’m 50/50 on scene mode. For me I just get irritated with not being able to delete a pattern on the scene without deleting the whole scene. I can do all the same things on the time line so I just stay there.

Huh? Press the stop icon and it removes the pattern. No scene is ever deleted unless you delete the scene itself.

Thanks for that. It was right in front of me the whole time.

• edited June 2018

@groovey said:

@Audiogus said:

But how and what’s the scenario whereby why would you want to merge or split a pattern in a scene for that to ever be an issue

Alrighty, I have not forgot your question, was just waiting for a real use case to illustrate. :)

So on Bank A is a little jammy overdub I did. I like the notes and the general playing I did but the placement of the riffs are too tight and conjested...

If I look in the piano roll... to select notes and move them around in groups... ugh what a pain! Plus I cannot see the rest of the banks or tracks...

So what I like to do (and I do this on desktop daws as well) is just split the pattern up and move and/or rearrange it on the timeline. Very nice seeing the other tracks for this!

Once i have something I like I then merge it. (But actually I do tons of merge,split,move,duplicate of the smaller bits, sometimes I go in and shuffle notes etc too)

Now i would love for that initial jam pattern to have had automation (filter/reso noodles, etc) and have them be preserved down to the final merged pattern and survive any future splits. As it is, with this workflow, automation has to be a final step and is not simply ‘along for the ride’.

• @Audiogus said:

@groovey said:

@Audiogus said:

Alrighty, I have not forgot your question, was just waiting for a real use case to illustrate. :)

So on Bank A is a little jammy overdub I did. I like the notes and the general playing I did but the placement of the riffs are too tight and conjested...

If I look in the piano roll... to select notes and move them around in groups... ugh what a pain! Plus I cannot see the rest of the banks or tracks...

So what I like to do (and I do this on desktop daws as well) is just split the pattern up and move and/or rearrange it on the timeline. Very nice seeing the other tracks for this!

Once i have something I like I then merge it. (But actually I do tons of merge,split,move,duplicate of the smaller bits, sometimes I go in and shuffle notes etc too)

Now i would love for that initial jam pattern to have had automation (filter/reso noodles, etc) and have them be preserved down to the final merged pattern and survive any future splits. As it is, with this workflow, automation has to be a final step and is not simply ‘along for the ride’.

I can see why that would be useful now.

• You guys who are using scene mode:
    Are you using many banks or are your instruments all on pads of one bank?

I usually keep everything in one bank and this means that one scene contains every instrument — not too malleable.

It’s ideal for live performance (full mixer control) and this is why I do it this way. It’s also decent on timeline mode (just got to drill a level further into the pattern editor).

But.. not so versatile on scene mode. I haven’t spent too much time on this so maybe I should have a deeper look, but wondering if anyone else has any experience with this format.

• @OscarSouth use scene mode with multiple banks, I would imagine it being very tough to use scene mode effectively if all sounds are in the same bank. You could of course create a bunch of different patterns within that same one bank, but that defeats the whole purpose what makes using scenes useful. It comes into its own when you can easily switch out different sounds, synths, loops from different banks, on the fly

• +1 @groovey. Hard to imagine anything useful about using 1 bank in Scene Mode.

• @groovey said:
    @OscarSouth use scene mode with multiple banks, I would imagine it being very tough to use scene mode effectively if all sounds are in the same bank. You could of course create a bunch of different patterns within that same one bank, but that defeats the whole purpose what makes using scenes useful. It comes into its own when you can easily switch out different sounds, synths, loops from different banks, on the fly

@WillieNegus said:
    +1 @groovey. Hard to imagine anything useful about using 1 bank in Scene Mode.

Cheers guys, yeah that’s what I though too (and also my practical experience).

I have a lot of external MIDI control (some could say a silly amount!) pointed at that one BM3 bank, so no shortage of sequencing possibilities. If I open any projects to mess around with in future I’ll play with the scenes a bit then.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I have a lot of external MIDI control (some could say a silly amount!) pointed at that one BM3 bank, so no shortage of sequencing possibilities. If I open any projects to mess around with in future I’ll play with the scenes a bit then.

Sounds like you’re using the Banks like AUM or Ape Matrix? I can actually imagine Infinite possibilities with that workflow even in Scene Mode. Especially for live performing as you stated. Damn. Could even route and resample whatever madness is being generated to other buses, or resample in the sampler.