BM3 Battle 12 - A Cappella Bel Canto Vocals Only (Deadline September 16th)

Comments

• I really dropped the ball when I didn't use my didgeridoo at all for the wood rat battle hahaha

• Lol. We can do a Didgeridoo only showcase too!

• Phew.

After 2 weeks of complete creative block I am finally getting this battle on the road ;)

(1 week to go, btw)

• Do you feel like sharing the choir samples? (I'll leave the burps, thanks ;))

• In addition to the Jussi and iSymphonic apps, Roland Sound Canvas has some great vocal sounds. It is currently $19.99 though, so not a cheap app. Check out some of the sounds here (he starts going through the choir sounds at around the 5 minute mark):

• Finally having fun with this challenge.

It was really tough to get going, but I'm feeling better about it now.

The track is not going in the direction I expected — but this is nearly always a good thing (creatively).

• @XanderJames said:
    Gonna publicly throw my hat in the ring so that I actually participate in one of these for a change. Y'all can shame me later if I don't finish this one

With one week remaining, I just wanted to remind you of your promise.

Really looking forward to having a new entrant in these battles, btw :)

• oh sweet jesus! Whoops. I'll get something put together hah

• I'm trying my best to make myself put something together for this one too. I haven't gotten started, and I've had no time for music since finishing the last battle

• If not a whole track, why not just make a little interlude (1-2 mins)

• @tk32 im gonna come up with something!

• Where's @5pinlink lately?

Hope he's still ok to receive submissions - mine's almost ready to export o:)

• Yep no problem.

• Cool beans

• Signed. Sealed. Delivered.

Good luck everybody.. i'm sending you all creative vibes from here in London :)

• Does anybody else feel like when they render their finished track in BM3 (any track) that the resulting rendered file is somehow not as good sounding as when the track is just played back live in BM3?

When I play the track from within BM3 - it sounds GOOD, but when I render it out, it loses a lot of "the sound quality" -- my "hi-end frequency sheen" on sounds gets dulled and the whole thing sounds rather muddy and lo-fi -- and not at all as good as when I just play the track in BM3....

Yes, I am rendering to 24bit, 44.1khz...
    Anybody else experiencing this?

Frustrated right now...

• @DeanDaughters I cannot remember the last time I rendered a mix from Beatmaker as a final "master" track. I usually export the stereo mix to Grand Finale (Klevgrand) and then to some "mastering" in that app.

I am also interested in how others may be accomplishing similar audio mastering or enhancing techniques...

• @DeanDaughters said:
    Does anybody else feel like when they render their finished track in BM3 (any track) that the resulting rendered file is somehow not as good sounding as when the track is just played back live in BM3?

When I play the track from within BM3 - it sounds GOOD, but when I render it out, it loses a lot of "the sound quality" -- my "hi-end frequency sheen" on sounds gets dulled and the whole thing sounds rather muddy and lo-fi -- and not at all as good as when I just play the track in BM3....

Yes, I am rendering to 24bit, 44.1khz...
    Anybody else experiencing this?

Frustrated right now...

Try nulling it, see how much difference there is.

• I'm sorry - I'm not sure what you mean by nulling it?

• @dafingaz - I am not trying to "enhance" or outside master anything....
    My track does not render in the same quality sound in which it plays.
    This does not make sense.

• edited September 2018

I always think the track sounds best played back live, but pretty sure this is just my mind playing tricks (as you can easily convince youself everything is more raw and pure compared to a baked-in and summed WAV).

What I know for sure is that rendering 1 or more tracks to an audio track in B3 almost definitely leads to a noticeable drop in fideilty and stereo field.

• Sorry - that really doesn't make sense to me.

I'm talking about a pretty drastic, noticeable difference in quality.

When I render a track in any other DAW, this does not happen.
    The rendered version sounds exactly the same or even better in some cases - but never worse imho...

• edited September 2018

If you have the ability to play back the live with the rendered, then flip the phase on one of them, it will 'Null' and completely cancel each other out if they are both exactly the same, this is known as a null test, so if you do it and there is still audio, that means they do not null, depending how much audio is a good gauge.
    So record it live, then playback with a render, null it.

• @DeanDaughters interesting. Let us all know what the solution is. Good luck!

• OK - after more testing - i'm feeling like this is a stereo / mono problem.... ?

My track when played back in BM3, is very wide -
    The rendered version feels not wide at all -
    like there is no stereo width at all anymore - like it's mono...

Is that possible somehow?

• edited September 2018

I have a feeling the export routine is not flawless (yet). I have occasioanlly found I get better results when recording all tracks internally to an audio track in realtime, rather than the hyperfast export method.

The only trouble is that internal audio recordings sometimes omit AUX sends (is this deliberate?)

• I think I am losing my mind...

I've recorded direct audio of the the playback of the actual track from BM3 into a portable digital recorder and also into Ableton Live.

When I play it in Beatmaker 3, it sounds GOOOOOD and rich and full and wide -

BUT -

When I play any recorded or rendered version back - they all sound the same. which is dull and flat and lo-fi and not quite right - none of them have the same feel as my track when actually played back. directly inside of Beatmaker 3.

(same system - same monitor speakers)

How is this possible?
    I feel like I am missing something really obvious here... ?

• Dean - i'm just glad you're entering a track in the battle :)

I'm sure we'll sort out any of your rendering concerns.

• No clipping happening - all levels are good.

• I would suggest this may well be a plugin effect issue as suggested by @TONBOGIRI
    Might be worth trying to render with all effects disabled, if that is a match, then enable one by one until you find the culprit, pain for sure though.