BM3 Battle 12 - A Cappella Bel Canto Vocals Only (Deadline September 16th)

Comments

• How's this for really weird? :/

It's the interface somehow...

When I play the track back through any other audio interface that is NOT the Novation Audiohub 2x4, it sounds off, like it's mono or something - not as wide, not as full not as rich. This makes no sense to me... ?

The Beatmaker 3 direct rendered version sounds good as long as I play it back through the Novation Audiohub, but not through any other audio interface....

The rendered version sounds good on on the standard Apple earbuds, so I'm submitting this track and calling it a day! :)

• edited September 2018

@TONBOGIRI said:
    Now I'm thinking DC-coupled audio interfaces, massive DC offset caused by an effect(s) or massive sub-bass, phase-issues, etc.
    Ok, looks like you're good to go. I'll shut up now. :)

I've noticed this too:

@tk32 said:
    What I know for sure is that rendering 1 or more tracks to an audio track in B3 almost definitely leads to a noticeable drop in fideilty and stereo field.

Perhaps put what I said on ice, pending further investigation. I think what I described is because the aux send returns are not included in the internally-recorded audio.. but then I realised this was probably intentional behaviour so the effect does not get stacked (applied twice).

• edited September 2018

@TONBOGIRI here's an example

1. Load a synth in bank A
    2. Add a simple delay insert effect
    3. Put a reverb on AUX 1
    4. Send enough of the Bank A to AUX1 so that it's audible
    5. Now create a new Audio track, and set it's input to internal > bank A
    6. Hit record > play and record a section of the synth
    7. You'll find the recorded audio contains the delay, but not the reverb, so you'll need to adjust the AUX Send on the audio track if you want it to sound the same as the original.

Like I said, I understand why it behaves this way - but it does mean you don't always get want you expect when 'freezing' tracks or recording internally.

• edited September 2018

Yes, that's happened to me too.

Usually I get what I expect when I export a track, but occasionally the faster-than-realtime export seems to play havoc with some effects.

It would be nice to have the option to render in realtime for those few occasions when plugins don't play nicely together at hyperspeed.

• So a track made all from vocals that's going to be challenging lol.

• edited September 2018

That's the idea :)

Oh, and you only have 3 days left

• Man it's quiet here lately.

I hope that's because everyone is putting the finishing touches on their battle entry ;)

2 days to go...

• @tk32 said:
    Man it's quiet here lately.

I hope that's because everyone is putting the finishing touches on their battle entry ;)

2 days to go...

Its because i stopped posting, nobody had anything to moan about or accuse me of haha.

• Everyone needs an antagonist.

Must be how Batman felt after the Joker died ;)

• @5pinlink said:

@tk32 said:
    Man it's quiet here lately.

2 days to go...

Its because i stopped posting, nobody had anything to moan about or accuse me of haha.

I’m sure I can remedy that ...
    It’s a mofo JOKE ! Relax soldier

• @tk32 said:
    Everyone needs an antagonist.

Must be how Batman felt after the Joker died ;)

Joker never dies !!!!!

• I cannot wait to hear some tracks for this! :) :)

Is this going to be a 3-way battle royale with just me, @tk32 and @dafingaz ? :o

Who else is droppin' the heat with an entry this round? You got 2 full days left! B)

(...that's still enough time to start from scratch and get something submitted if you've been lazy up until now!)

• Woohoo.

Really glad you're in this one Dean. I was beginning to worry we'd lost you to the AUM-side ;)

• edited September 2018

You're laying the pressure down now @DeanDaughters :)

I hope my submission doesn't disappoint (though I suspect it might)

Where is @ronji? You can usually count on him for a vote-worthy battle entry

• I'm hoping @ronji is silent because he's working on magic... !!

(...also - I suspect my entry might be an eye-rolling-snicker-fest for some listeners.... I hope it doesn't dissapoint, either - lol!)

• Boys, I admit defeat. I procrastinated too hard and have run out of time. Here's a sample pack of cool drums I made with my face as consolation.

https://we.tl/t-GZbRJZJvKo

• haha, thanks for believing in me, guys, but I've just had life overload lately. I'm planning on putting in some time this weekend, start to unfinished submission =)

• Less than 24 hours to go now people.

I have a feeling whatever entries do come in (secretly via 5pin, remember) will be 'interesting' - to say the least.

This battle had me stuck creatively longer than any other.

• @XanderJames sorry to hear you didn't cross the finish line. Maybe next time?

But thanks indeed for spitting at your microphone and sharing it with us ;)

• 12 hours to go.

Don't forget to PM your entry to 5pin so they remain anonymous.

I hope we have enough entries to make this one interesting.. as much as I want a win, I don't want it to be by default. :p

• To be honest it is hardly worth anonymizing the entries, there are only two so far, i think whever wins needsto make next months rules a bit more easy going.

• edited September 2018

I might do something with the built in mic while im out and about tonight, just to make up some numbers lol.

• Yes, it has been a tough one :)

• Next month will be a simple remix, all plugins allowed.

I'll have a word with the winner ;)

• I'm pretty sure @DeanDaughters and @dafingaz won't let us down.

And I'm confident @ronji will have something to submit before the night is out.

That makes 4, at least (fingers crossed)

• Should we extend the deadline? Would another 2 or 3 days give others enough time to work on something? It's cool if not. Just want to make sure those who may try something get a chance...

• I don't think time is the problem. I think the rules have got a few people stuck.

It was a cool idea, but even I've found it harder than I expected.

Let's stick with the normal deadline, see what comes in, and then move on to battle 13.

• Yeah let's not extend. I'm going to export whatever I end up with at the end of the night anyways. There was plenty of time, but this was a tough one. Also I just haven't had much time for music making, myself.

• Thanks for the entries everyone.

The voting thread should be up in the next hour or so.