AUi - Primer synth - Audible Genius (from Syntorial)

edited October 20 in Compatibility

It's a free, fully-featured 2-oscillator virtual analog synth with effects. It's the synth stripped out of their tutorial app.

https://www.syntorial.com/
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/primer-synth/id1438692125

Size - 22mb
IOS - 11+
Format - AU/Standalone

Issues:

Comments

• edited October 20

Just tried 4 instances on a 2013 iPad Mini 2 in BM3: CPU usage <30% @ 512 samples.

Sounds good, nice FX, free. As far as I know, among the handful of free AU synths, this is the only one without any parts locked-out. FM, Sync, & Ring Modulation, Unison with Detune & Spread, good-sounding resonant filter, 3 envs, 5 FX. IMO, the UI layout is nearly perfect since everything is on 1 page, and hopefully the quirks get ironed out in an update. No demo mode, just the 'Learn Synthesis' button, which opens the App Store for their Syntorial app.

Issues:
    1. When making it full-screen, the lower-half doesn't appear. Solution is to touch any knob and the entire UI (& Preset list) will display. Wish the UI would scroll up-&-down when in compact view.
    2. Recording AU parameters. Looks like the UI knobs are connected to the AU parameters, but not vice versa. So knob movements get recorded, but the AU parameter aren't 'talking' to the UI knobs. You can see the AU parameter move (not the UI knob) but the sound doesn't change.
    3. Presets aren't recalled when re-loading the Session.
    4. Voices Selection in the Unison section is broken (the 'Primer info' section above it blocks the popup window.)

• Bugs confirmed here move a knob thx.
    Automation not working as well thx.

• On a side note, I've used Syntorial on desktop and it's a really good interactive educational tool for people wanting to learn synth programming.

Unfortunately they really shot themselves in the foot with pricing (£130/$130).

If they woke up and realised that £30 is the correct price I'd be recommending everyone pick it up. As it is, I can't recommend the full version at that ludicrous price.

• £130 WTF ?
    That's a joke right there !!!

• edited October 20

@5pinlink said:
    £130 WTF ?
    That's a joke right there !!!

I think the iPad app is free, if you want the lessons you have to pay.

• I'm not complaining, but it's strange that he offers the AUv3 synth for free, considering the price of Syntorial. I guess it's inline with the cost of one community college course. Maybe a good gift for the budding synthesist. I have a nephew that would be happy.

The dev is aware of the issues posted, so hopefully it gets updated.

• edited October 22

I'm not suggesting their hard work, or value gained from taking the full course, isn't worth it. But they must be missing out on a awful lot of cash if they only dropped their prices.

They are getting bad business advice.

Compare this, for a moment, to BeatMaker 3: do you think more (or less) work goes into a £30/$30 DAW with continuous bug fixes and new features COMPARED to a polyphonic synth with about 10 hours of video training and interactive tutorials.

• Years ago, I did the sound & music for a kids educational game. I thought it was over-priced & wouldn't sell many copies, but had no say. A bunch of school districts ended up buying it and the devs got rich. (Not me).

The Syntorial desktop software is the same price as the iOS app. What if the iOS app was 10-20% the cost like most iOS apps? I suppose lots of parents & administrators would complain.

My point is that educational stuff is usually more expensive. My other point is that I know nothing about business.

• edited October 22

I really like what they've done with the app, but the price is a turn off. I've thought of purchasing it several times and thought of the whole "college course angle" and it is true you do get a tremendous amount of value for the money. It's just when comparing it to other apps on the app store that it doesn't hold up - price-wise. But, are there other apps that are comparable on the app store?

Feel like i'm talking myself into it. hehe

• Gordon Reid's Synth Secrets on Sound-On-Sound is wonderful:
    https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/synth-secrets-all-63-parts-sound-on-sound

There's also lots of great YouTube videos covering the different types of synthesis.

Syntorial will be my Christmas gift for my nephew. He wants Serum or a game but I'm the mean uncle. Will he ever use Syntorial? Maybe not.

• Get him Serum, there are hundreds of tutorials on the tube

• Plus I can grab more wavetables for GR-16.

Joe the dev from Syntorial said he's working on the bug fixes as we speak. :)

BTW, I love the single-window layout of Primer, and considering it's FM, Sync, & Ring Modulation, there's lots of variety in the sounds it can make.

Now if only someone would make an AU with similar single-window UI and swap out the basic oscillators with wavetables. Still keeping my fingers crossed for Poison-202 update.

• Pretty sure the developer has given up on Poison 202, i doubt we will see anything but OS update releases.

• Yeah I slipped the question in when reporting GR-16 bugs, but he didn't answer those. o:)

• edited October 23

Yeah i used to think he was a good developer but GR16 doesn't hold much interest for me personally (me, not anybody else, no need for GR16 adverts to convince me otherwise, before anybody feels the need to )

• The only 'Groovebox' I had any interest in was Korg Gadget. GR-16 looks fun, but I'm not interested in it at all.

My concern is that Jim has started chasing a different wedge of the iOS music market. Instead of making pro plugins for the hardcore users, he's making music toys for the mass market.

• I suspect hes making money and hes on the official Prodigy remix bandwagon now too, so doubtful Poison is a particularly high priority.
    And i still dont see it being taken off its number 1 recommendation for me any time soon unless it stops working for some reason lol.

• @5pinlink said:
    Yeah i used to think he was a good developer but GR16 doesn't hold much interest for me personally (me, not anybody else, no need for GR16 adverts to convince me otherwise, before anybody feels the need to )

That's nice. I think I'll respond by posting all of the GR-16 updates. :*

@tk32 said:
    The only 'Groovebox' I had any interest in was Korg Gadget. GR-16 looks fun, but I'm not interested in it at all.

My concern is that Jim has started chasing a different wedge of the iOS music market. Instead of making pro plugins for the hardcore users, he's making music toys for the mass market.

Well, if you wanna put it that way: Poison-202 is the 'toy' (Roland Gaia) whereas GR-16 is 'Pro' (Elektron Monomachine + Digitakt + Korg E2/S).

@5pinlink said:
    I suspect hes making money and hes on the official Prodigy remix bandwagon now too, so doubtful Poison is a particularly high priority.
    And i still dont see it being taken off its number 1 recommendation for me any time soon unless it stops working for some reason lol.

A couple of Prodigy patterns. Hundreds more that are completely different (i.e. even adult contemporary patterns, etc.). And maybe they (not just he) are making children's games again.

• Jim should hire you as his PR officer @TONBOGIRI ;)

• Post all the GR16 updates you like, nobody has any isdue with that.

I have no idea what the other stuff means though?
    He is doing official remixes of Prodigy songs for the Prodigy, so no idea what Prodigy patterns has to do with that ?
    And i dont even know what adult contemporary patterns are ?
    I dont know any of his childrens games, I only know his synth and his Groovebox.

• @tk32 said:
    Jim should hire you as his PR officer @TONBOGIRI ;)

Just from a handful of my posts? I mentioned the update which introduced wavetable synthesis and answered a few questions. I try to remain as impartial as possible, but if a $20 app has nearly the same functionality as $2000 worth of hardware, then it might be worth getting excited about and mentioning it here. But I didn't do that.

But since you mentioned Public Relations...
    On Facebook, I countered several posts by a SunVox promoter who has never used GR-16, but blatantly lied about GR-16's features. I've done the same when folks trash Cakewalk, spreading the lie that it's spyware, since it's now free. People do believe those lies. And it's rampant on Facebook. And I don't work for any of those companies.

It's similar to the way some of the forum members (including me) defend Beatmaker, or how they correct misconceptions and misinformation about it, but the difference is that I get my facts straight first, try to remain impartial, and do my best to not be testy, combative, or arrogant. Same method when answering tech questions.

But it could be that you're mistaking me for someone else. If not, please direct me to the posts. :)

• @5pinlink said:
    Post all the GR16 updates you like, nobody has any isdue with that.

I have no idea what the other stuff means though?
    He is doing official remixes of Prodigy songs for the Prodigy, so no idea what Prodigy patterns has to do with that ?
    And i dont even know what adult contemporary patterns are ?
    I dont know any of his childrens games, I only know his synth and his Groovebox.

Okay, you were talking about his music work, not GR. My fault.

@5pinlink said:

Yeah, I'm going to quote this again. I usually don't quote negative comments but I think it's time. Ignore the 2nd half of your comment as that can be attributed to your usual irritability, but the 1st half is damning. You're the INTUA forum moderator, so just by association, some folks believe that you represent INTUA, the brand and it's products, regardless of the truth. Do you just not give a damn?

• edited October 24

@TONBOGIRI
    There were no negative vibes intended by my comment - just that you are clearly passionate about the product. And that's good when it's being so casually dismissed as a toy by the likes of (arrogant|ignorant) people like me.

Speaking personally, I guess I'm just frustrated that he isn't making AUv3 plugins at the moment - especially because of how much I enjoy and use Poison-202.

• Why does being a moderator mean i should lie and not have an honest opinion ?

My comnents are not designed to make you feel good about your purchases.

Please keep it civil though.

• @tk32 I realize that. Thanks, but I still believe you have me mistaken for someone else. I posted the following in August, so wouldn't it be a bit odd?:

I really hope that this forum doesn't become like many other forums & Facebook iOS Groups that discuss music software. There are far too many 'undercover' users pushing software for tiny financial kickbacks. Some of those users are not musicians and cannot answer a basic question about the software that they are pushing. If you bring up another competing app, there's a good chance your post will be deleted. There are plenty of legitimate musicians that deserve those tiny kickbacks, but unfortunately there are many more users who are only interested in the money, souring the experience for everyone.

@5pinlink said:
    Why does being a moderator mean i should lie and not have an honest opinion ?

My comnents are not designed to make you feel good about your purchases.

Please keep it civil though.

Nobody is asking you to lie, that's the last thing anyone wants from you. Civility is what's required from the moderator. Hilarious.

But at least you no longer trash BM3 here on the INTUA forum. How about continuing your progress and stop disrespecting other developers, their work, & alienating forum members? 15 months...So many good people gone because of your antics. And BTW, this is the first time I've brought it up in 15 months.

Either way, your behavior is interesting to observe, and I can see why some folks attach themselves to you. Though I feel for the others that have been pushed away.

Anyway, I get the hint. You edit my posts, question the legitimacy of the Bank Presets that I give away (Who doesn't love being treated like a criminal?!). I offered my help with the Battles after seeing the BM3 SoundCloud page wasn't updated, but you declined my help. You later make excuses about being busy, while you're on Facebook ragging on people here, on Discord ragging about people on FB, AB, & here. After spending >1 year making 700+ Bank Presets that I'd like to share here, you tell me to use your 'forum structure', make me an admin on 5pin.link and then immediately delete my posts. And now this. Act like a moderator. But, yup I get the hint, finally.

• No need wasting your time responding. It's pointless, since nobody got through to you in 15 months.

Folks are tired of wading through the crap. And BTW, I was told that you haven't configured your VPN correctly.

Have fun everyone! I'm out.

• Edit your posts, untrue and can be checked with the forum log.

Question the legitimacy of your banks because it had no copyright info at all, that is quite normal and your are not the first or last i have asked this.

Excuses about being busy, no, i was busy, yes you won, and yes i should have updated your name earlier, i apologise.

On Facebook ragging on people here, untrue.

On Discord ragging about people on FB, AB & here, AB yes, FB untrue, here, one person who ignores all the advice he asks for.

I didn't tell you to use my forum structure, i suggested it, you didn't, and i did what ? nothing, because i don't care about your banks, do what you want.

Make you an admin at 5pin.link then immediately delete your posts, no, did you even notice that i had to change the forum software entirely because it was overun by russian bots, some of the user data got lost when i swapped over to the new forum software, i never purposely deleted any posts at 5pin.link, as can be seen by the test posts over there.

As for my behaviour here, please complain to Intua, they can remove me any time they like.

• edited October 25

Please can we all stop with the "I'm done" or "I'm out" declarations. (Yes, this also includes you Win)

Every forum needs an ogre at the bridge, and for better or worse, this is our one.

What you may not realise is that some of this misplaced anger and resentment gets under 5pin's armour too, and several times we've had to try convincing him to reconsider leaving and stick around.

When you think that (a) all creative people can tend to be divas, and (b) this forum attracts users from all countries and cultures, it's amazing we don't descend into complete anarchy and mud-slinging on a more regular basis.

Every one of the forum members here brings valuable insight and perspective to a different area of music and production, so I'd be majorly upset to see anyone leave.

(..except for that arrogant British prick @tk32. He always thinks he's being clever, or worse, funny.)

• Jesus Christ you guys fight more than women!!!

• Rewind....!

I just want to give my shout out to Jim Pavloff and what he has done with his GR-16 app. I think along with BM3, GR-16 is one of the leading apps available on iOS. He has brilliantly navigated the user requests with his own oversight and created a pretty remarkable groovebox. It’s my favourite thread on AB and a truly impressive bit of development in my book. Very cool. I like Poison-202 but I think GR-16 is another level up. Great competition for Korg to step their game up to as well.