Turn an Old iPhone or iPad into a Bluetooth MIDI Controller

In this case I'm using KB-1. It requires at least iOS 11, so 'old' here means a 5s/Air 1/Mini 2.

'iPad1' is the old iPad running KB-1, and is the MIDI 'sender'.
'iPad2' is the other iPad running BM3, and is the MIDI 'receiver'.

WITH MIDI OMNI ON (Easy: Use this if you just want to play each Bank without having to setup each Bank's MIDI INPUT):
1.) Turn On Bluetooth on both iPads.
2.) On 'iPad1', open KB-1, tap MIDI (top-right), 'iPad1' should be listed.
3.) On 'iPad2', open BM3, go to BM3 Settings>AUDIO & MIDI DEVICES, tap the Bluetooth icon (top-right), and in the window, click to connect to 'iPad1'.
4.) On 'iPad 2', Turn ON MIDI OMNI.
5.) On 'iPad1' in KB-1, tap OUTPUT (top-middle), select 'iPad2' (the 'receiver').
6.) On 'iPad2' in BM3, load a synth to any Bank on Pad 1. Leave the Banks' MIDI Setup at their defaults. Since MIDI OMNI is enabled, when you select other Banks, they will be played by KB-1.

WITH MIDI OMNI OFF (Advanced: Use this if you want specific MIDI devices controlling specific Banks):
Same as the steps above except:
4.) On 'iPad 2', Turn OFF MIDI OMNI.
6.) On 'iPad2' in BM3, load a synth or keyboard to Bank A1 on Pad 1. Bank A1 MIDI Setup: PORT='iPad1' Bluetooth. Since MIDI OMNI is disabled, you'll have to specify the MIDI INPUT for each Bank.

Comments

• Nice tip, and really great for those of us struggling to find a good use for sightly older generation Apple devices.

• Thanks for the tip @StudioES ! This works great with chordpolypad as well.

But with Velocity Keyboard - which is suprisingly good for finger drumming (I set up a 4x4 pad matrix to control the bank pads in BM3) - I seem not to find where to set the app to work as a bluetooth midi sender. Ideally even, I would use my 9.7 Pro/VKB to control the 12.9 Pro/BM3 over a wired connection, to minimize any latency. I wonder if that would work?

• @gosnote I was wondering if Velocity Keyboard had Bluetooth built-in like KB-1.
    So you have to put it in AUM to send Bluetooth?
    Also curious about Xequence AU Keys & Pads. KB-1 is a bit 'graphics-heavy' for my Mini 2.

• @StudioES said:
    @gosnote I was wondering if Velocity Keyboard had Bluetooth built-in like KB-1.
    Also curious about Xequence AU Keys & Pads. KB-1 is a bit 'graphics-heavy' for my Mini 2.

Velocity works a treat via Bluetooth and is my personal fav midi controller. Essentially turns a spare iPad/iPhone into sensel morph.

• Thanks @WillieNegus Will def get VK soon. Didn't you have a Roli MPE controller? How'd you like it?

• Awesome tips! Thanks all. Now I know what to get.

• @StudioES said:
    Thanks @WillieNegus Will def get VK soon. Didn't you have a Roli MPE controller? How'd you like it?

Yes I have lightpad m, live and loop blocks currently for sale. They’re great for MPE and travel. I’m just using VK now for iOS production.

• @WillieNegus said:

@StudioES said:

Velocity works a treat via Bluetooth and is my personal fav midi controller. Essentially turns a spare iPad/iPhone into sensel morph.

I paired my iPhone with my iPad over Bluetooth but if I try to use VK to control bm3 my iPhone is not listed as an available Bluetooth device in bm3’s midi settings. Should this work?

• @gosnote said:

@WillieNegus said:

@StudioES said:

I paired my iPhone with my iPad over Bluetooth but if I try to use VK to control bm3 my iPhone is not listed as an available Bluetooth device in bm3’s midi settings. Should this work?

Wow. I just realize I can no longer pair my iPhone and IPad via Bluetooth so I can’t even test. I guess it needs an update. I’m going to report the bug to the Dev whose very responsive.

• edited October 11

Forgot that I can add more than 1 controller! Only problem is when choosing CC Control it crashes on iPadOS, but not iOS 12.4.2. Anyone else?! Update: Deleting & re-installing KB-1 seems to have fixed it for me.