How can I make beatmaker 2 stay running in the background on an iphone

I have an issue that when ever I shut off the screen on my phone and put it to sleep or exit BM2 on my iphone 6 to go to the home screen it closes the app. Almost as if it crashes. Any ideas on what can be causing this issue and how to fix it? I tried to take off background app refresh and that didn't work.

Comments

• Since the last update I've noticed that I am never able to switch to another app, and then back to BM2 without it restarting. It's not always such a huge deal, but I have a feeling one of these times if I forget to save, and auto-save doesn't catch it, it could be disastrous. Hoping this can be cleared up soon.. I wouldn't have updated had I of known this would happen, since I wasn't experiencing any of the problems the last update corrected.

I am using an iPad 2, iOS 9.2.

Zac
  • Zac,

We're aware of an issue affecting some user. Where you using an IAA app ?

Mathieu.
  • Mathieu,

No, I wasn't using any IAA at the time. Although of course this issue makes IAA impossible to function, I tried it earlier and as soon as I hit the icon for the other app and it switched over to it, BM2 showed up in the app for about 2 seconds before disappearing.

For the first time since upgrading, earlier today I did try to use Audiobus with BM2. This actually worked for some reason, when using the sidebar to switch between apps, BM2 does not crash and I am able to use it more or less like normal. Although I did have a couple crashes, something that has been very infrequent in the past when doing all of this.

This issue happens ANY time BM2 goes to the "background" and another app is switched to (except for when using Audiobus as described). I've tried to add or subtract any variables I could think of, to help you guys troubleshoot the issue, but nothing seems to make a difference. With or without tracks started, new project or saved, I even tried changing my max memory setting.

One thing that seemed curious to me... a lot of the time when BM2 crashes like this, when I go back into the app it will have an OLD audiobus sidebar visible on the side, with apps in it that haven't been opened in days or sometimes weeks. I think that this goes away when I restart the iPad, at least I'm pretty sure.

Since I know BM2 updates aren't extremely frequent (and by all means, put your efforts into getting BM3 ready for us :smile:), in the meantime is there any way that I can revert to the previous version on my iPad? I never had any issues with the program before, and would love to go back to before the update. Unfortunately I know I hadn't backed up my iPad in a LONG time before a week or so ago, so that is not an option.

Thanks,

Zac
  • edited June 2016
    Hey Zac,

Thanks for providing more details about this issue.
    We are able to collect crash information with our development tools and this bug, as you describe, seem to affect users with version 2.6.0.

When going into the background, BM2 will save the current project, in case something goes wrong. This is the source of the problem.
    I will conduct more tests and work on a fix, since this bug is critical.

Thanks again,
    Mathieu.
  • I still experience this exact issue. Is there any update expected for this soon?
  • Hey @RileyGuy does this happen with every IAA app you're trying to switch to ?
  • Go to [Settings] in iOS..
    go down to BeatMaker 2..
    tap [Keep Running In Background]
    done.

• hi intua support

i found such a same situation on my iphone
    can you confirm that ?

[keep running in background] doesnt work

everytime BM2 is restarted as below when switch back to BM2
    [WELCOME TO BEATMAKER 2.6
    LAST AUTOSAVE
    LOAD PROJECT
    NEW PROJECT]

select
    IAA/AudioBus/Normal AudioTrack
    any way is also the same

Go to [Settings] in iOS..
    go down to BeatMaker 2..
    tap [Keep Running In Background]
    -> is already ON keeping

iphone 6s plus
    iOS ver.9.3.5
    BM2 ver. 2.6.0

i got app reboot, iphone reboot many times
    but the problems are not clear

iphone SE / 9.3.5 / 2.6.0 is no problems
    ipad mini4 / 10.0 / 2.6.0 is no problems

im not sure that causes for 6s plus only

• Hey @melv,

So it seems to affect 6S devices. I'll check into that.

Thanks for the report, this is helpful !

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• hi intua support

thank you for the res and your kindness

i dont have 6s (NOT plus)
    so sorry for unable testing whole 6s series

i ll test on 6s plus if you change something

• I can confirm that it's working on the 6s Plus just as it should.

• hi Septimo

what is your ios ver. ?
    9.3.5 ? or 10 ?

i m not sure the period of my purchased
    about 2016/02 -> ios ver 9.2.x

i have not noticed about such BackGround NG situation at that time

but i dont know whether the causes by ios ver. or not
    or the reason is something confliction with ios / several apps or not

• it could be... I'm not sure.. I'm on iOS version 10.1.1.. are you still on 9.3.5?
  • hi septimo

yes, my 6s plus ios ver. is 9.3.5
    i can not do update to 10 right now,
    but it could be clear if the causes concern about ios ver. 9.3.x
  • I actually fixed it. I removed BM2 from the app switcher, then turned the keep running in background option off then back on again. I also clicked on update database.

Once I did that I opened BM2 and it worked.
  • intua said:

Hey @melv,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

It's doing the same thing on my iPad Air 2. Project has to load again when I switch between apps.

• intua said:

Hey @melv,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Is this a problem that will be fixed? It's just I bought beatmaker 2 knowing it was possible to keep it running in the background and without that function my live set is totally compromised.

It seems this has been an issue for a couple of months and it still hasn't been fixed. Can we expect a fix or is Intua putting all of their efforts towards BM 3?

Which is totally fine, but not when you still have BM2 for sale on the App Store when it isn't working as advertised....

• dainebag said:

intua said:

Hey @melv,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Is this a problem that will be fixed? It's just I bought beatmaker 2 knowing it was possible to keep it running in the background and without that function my live set is totally compromised.

It seems this has been an issue for a couple of months and it still hasn't been fixed. Can we expect a fix or is Intua putting all of their efforts towards BM 3?

Which is totally fine, but not when you still have BM2 for sale on the App Store when it isn't working as advertised....

I also have an iPad Air, and all is working as it should.. are you sure the switch is flipped in your settings?

as I type this I'm switching back and forth between BM2 and another audio app and both are playing at the same time.. only issue is when returning to BM2, there's an audio hiccup that occurs when the app reappears in forefront. I don't think it affects timing when in live situations but it could cause a confusion in a live set if you're not expecting it and that could probably cause a timing snafu in a set.
  • edited November 2016
    This is also happening to me. Not using IAA apps, just trying to send MIDI from Polychord into BM2. Anytime I switch to Polychord, BM2 crashes and opens welcome screen when I switch back to it. The only fix I've found is to completely reinstall BM2, then import all of my stuff back in via iFunbox. Then it seems to work fine again.

However, once reinstalled, if I go into iPad Settings and change memory limit from 32mb to no limit, crashing behavior starts again. (Not sure if other memory settings cause this as well). Also, setting back to 32mb doesn't fix it either... Only solution is to reinstall again.

Is there any update on a fix?

Edit: I'm on an iPad Air1, 64gb. About 6gb of free space left.
  • Update: it seems toggling the "keep running in background" switch seems to fix it. Not sure why it wasn't respecting the setting...
  • Hey guys,

We've got plenty of crash logs to analyse so we'll find a solution to this bug, even though it's pretty though to reproduce !

Sorry for the inconvenience,
    Cheers,
    Mathieu.
  • dainebag said:

intua said:

Hey @melv,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Try closing the app, toggling the option in settings off and then on. Then trying it again cause I don't have that problem on my ipad air.

• Hey guys,

We finally found the issue. It's not a crash per se, but just the app exiting after going into background. As @misho and other suggested, you can fix the issue by toggling off and on again the "Keep running in background" option in the iOS Settings app.

We'll have a new update coming pretty soon, with a feature a lot of users are looking forward to :-)

Cheers,
    Mathieu.
  • edited December 2016
    Hey !

You can now update to version 2.6.1 which fixes this issue.
    Be sure to check if the "Keep running in background" option is properly turned on in the iOS Settings app > BeatMaker 2.

Thanks to everyone.
    Cheers !
    Mathieu.

• hi intua support

thanx for updating !

i ll check about that with 2.6.1 !

• Salute for the good work you are doing with the software @intua

• Thanks @DeeJohnson -- On a side note, after BeatMaker 3 is released, we'll keep updating BeatMaker 2 for at least a year. There are a couple of bugs and feature we still want to work on.

Cheers, and thank you all for your support,
    Mathieu.
  • intua said:

Thanks @DeeJohnson -- On a side note, after BeatMaker 3 is released, we'll keep updating BeatMaker 2 for at least a year. There are a couple of bugs and feature we still want to work on.

Cheers, and thank you all for your support,
    Mathieu.

Thank you and this is good to hear you guys are not just going to abandon BM2 but tighten it up for the people who use it. That's great!