BeatMaker 3 no audio issue

I am impressed with BeatMaker 2 and it's going to be a fantastic DAW for me on iOS. However I have ran into an issue with it. When I compose and create a session with multipal instances of the same AUv3 plugin and I save the session then reopen the session later on there seems to be no audio on playback. I seem to only get this problem on my iPad Pro 9.7 and iPad mini 4 both running iOS 10.3.2.

However I don't seem to have that problem with no audio playback when using multipal instances of the same AUv3 plugin on my iPad Air 2 running iOS 10.0.1 and iPad mini 2 running iOS 10.3.2.

Please advise.

Comments

• Hey @Artmuzz and welcome on board :-)

There is currently an issue with the AUv3 implementation on iOS.
    Sometimes, loading multiple instance of the same plugin can leave the system "hanging".
    I have report this issue to Apple; hopefully, they will address this in iOS11.

That said, there are some workarounds that can be done in BM3. We will investigate the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

• @mathieugarcia - in case you missed Bram Bos (the developer of the excellent Ruismaker AUs) diagnosed part/all of the problem here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/372495/#Comment_372495

I can reproduce the issue with 4x Phasemaker in BM3. For my own sanity I doublechecked opening Cubasis sessions and AUM sessions with 4x Phasemaker which work OK.

/Devmode: @mathieugarcia I loaded Phasemaker in debug mode into BM3 and it seems it's sending large quantities of AU Parameters to the plugin before it's properly done loading. I can add a safeguard mechanism which may prevent it from hanging but it will always result in undefined behavior since all these AU Parameter values are lost. Maybe you can use the requestViewControllerWithCompletionHandler method to notify you when the AU has finished loading, because as far as I know you won't be able to access the viewController until the plugin is open for business. Just an idea.

This is probably also the reason Poison and Reslice et al. don't work; they miss the early burst of parameter data.

Hope this helps!

• edited July 2017

@cianoc said:
    @mathieugarcia - in case you missed Bram Bos (the developer of the excellent Ruismaker AUs) diagnosed part/all of the problem here: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/372495/#Comment_372495

Thanks for passing this on. I just emailed Mathieu a more detailed summary of my observations. Obviously I can't see what's going on inside BM3 but I hope it helps narrowing down the issue.

On top of this there is also a bug inside iOS, which haunts all AUv3 hosts (also reported some time ago by the Cubasis guys). I'm not 100% sure what the exact cause is, but it usually rears its head when loading a large number or AUs (think 10+ on a newer iPad model). These issues may be related... Either way, it's an incredibly complex many-faced problem.

• Yes, anytime you're dealing with third party apps in particular it's a nightmare. Add to that complex OS libraries that are still immature... A tough challenge, though I have every confidence that Intua will rise to the challenge.

• Hopefully it's something Intua can improve as so far I've not seen any other AU host with as many issues with Au's as BM3. Some sessions are failing to load because they freeze on AU's being loaded.

I spotted another AU bug. For me Audio Damage dubstation 2 slows down the mixer faders. This doesn't happen in AUM or AB for example.

Once these issues are ironed out it'll be great :)

• Except for AUM I feel that all the hosts have had issues initially with AUs. Of course BM3 has the additional complexity of AU automation which nobody else does.

• edited July 2017

@mathieugarcia said:
    Hey @Artmuzz and welcome on board :-)

There is currently an issue with the AUv3 implementation on iOS.
    Sometimes, loading multiple instance of the same plugin can leave the system "hanging".
    I have report this issue to Apple; hopefully, they will address this in iOS11.

That said, there are some workarounds that can be done in BM3. We will investigate the issue.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

Cheers,
    Mathieu.

Thanks Mathieu for the reply.

I really hope this gets fixed because BM3 is a fantastic DAW on iOS.

• We'll address this soon enough and having direct contact with @brambros and other dev's is a real plus to address bugs quickly and effectively!

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

• I have just launched updates for Phasemaker, Ripplemaker and Troublemaker to make them work around some of the known issues in BM3. That should make them more usable until the upcoming BM3 update.

Hope this helps a little! :)

• Bram the BOSS ;)
  • @brambos said:
    I have just launched updates for Phasemaker, Ripplemaker and Troublemaker to make them work around some of the known issues in BM3. That should make them more usable until the upcoming BM3 update.

Hope this helps a little! :)

hui that was fast B)

• When will BM3 release an update to fix the most serious issues? It seems that the Beta test pool should have been much bigger because many of the issues are relatively straight forward i.e. are caused by commonly used functions. MIDI controller mapping problems should have been squashed way prior to release. Transient detection problems should have been corrected. BM2 kit import/compatibility should definitely have been worked out prior to release. I feel like I am a Beta tester even though I patiently waited for the release while Beta testers gushed about how great it was being a Beta tester.

• Bigger beta pool doesn't help it the development resources are limited, just sayin...

• @samu said:
    Bigger beta pool doesn't help it the development resources are limited, just sayin...

That's the point! We've to wait wait wait ;)

• To be fair the smaller the team the better a public beta works, just go look at Reaper development ;)
  • @5pinlink said:
    To be fair the smaller the team the better a public beta works, just go look at Reaper development ;)

Now that the initial release of BM3 is out it's effectively a 'public beta' ;)

• That's cool. I just hope that the updates are rapid so that folks can enjoy BM3 to the fullest. We've had our share of tools which showed a lot of promise but ultimately were let downs due to unreliability.

• edited July 2017
    Intua seems like a very small team. I'm glad they released it in current state and didn't hold it back while ironing the other stuff out. Going that route could have gone on forever ;) I'm sure they're doing as much as they can as quick as they can.

Their presence on the new forum is an unexpected bonus (the old forum seemed very quiet/slow), we should try to re-pay their efforts/openness with our patience etc :) I know it sucks when something vital to a user is missing/buggy, but bm2 always seemed pretty solid to me, give em some time ;) What's there/working already is insane for a v1 at £20...

Not pointing this at anyone, just something I keep reminding myself when I'm tempted to complain ;) Look at mpc live, Elektron digitakt... £600+ software/hardware that launched with serious bugs... I can deal with waiting for something that cost £20 and is possibly more complex/deep than both those mentioned pieces of gear/code ;)
  • edited July 2017

What I have been doing whilst Intua iron the bugs out is by experimenting with the fantastic sampler on BM3 and it's fantastic editing capabilities. I sampled some of my favourite patches from my D50 and JD800 synths onto the sampler and the sample layering and Live stretch function comes in very useful. It is the most fun I have had on an iOS DAW in a long time. :)

• edited July 2017

I tested BM3 using four instances of Phasemaker after Brambos updated the Phasemaker AUv3 plugin for BM3 and reopened the session and the audio works at playback now. :) If only the other developers like Virsyn and Jimaudio can do the same as Brambos this would be brilliant.

• Good to hear that it solves some of the issues. I'm confident that Intua will update BM3's AU loading on their end, which will all make all AUs work without needing such updates. :)

• edited July 2017
    @samu it isn't a public beta it is a release, if it was a public beta they should/would have said so, not as many people would have gotten on board.
    A publulic beta would be rapid fire incremental bug fix releases (kind of hard to do in IOS land i suspect anyway)
    But their beta pool definitely needs to be a good bit bigger.

As for having patience and not complaining, that is good, but make sure you report every issue you find unless it is already reported, that helps developers way more than patient silence.
  • @5pinlink said:

>

As for having patience and not complaining, that is good, but make sure you report every issue you find unless it is already reported, that helps developers way more than patient silence.

Personally I report every single issue I bump into on a daily basis and also provide follow up information when asked for it. Part the problem is that there is no compiled 'know issues list' anywhere to be found :(

• @5pinlink I doubt they're finding many unknown bugs since public release. Probably more a case of getting a better idea of which of the known bugs are most urgent for them to focus on... Look at the octatrack.. Still bugs in that 7 years later. Would have sucked if it hadn't been released til it was bug-free ;)
    All software/hardware this deep seems to come with release bugs these days no matter how many beta testers (Ableton.. Elektron... Akai... ;)
  • Higher number of beta testers means much more located bugs. so simple ;)

• edited July 2017
    @samu
    The forum needs
    Feature requests
    Bug reports
    Tutorials
    And a couple of mods who will scour the FR and BR forum and remove posts as implemented/fixed
    I have no problem helping out if they want, but they are definitely needed.