Best way to map pads to Ruismaker FM?

The subject line says it all. For this project, I'm not interested in just loading samples, so I loaded six instances of Ruismaker FM to the pads in a bank, designating each one the note value appropriate to the six triggers/instruments on the app. This actually worked pretty well, until I switched to another bank and then the whole thing froze and the project no longer opens despite numerous restarts. This was the "too many AuV3s" crash which has been previously documented.

Does anyone have a better way to do this so that I only have to use one instance of Ruismaker FM, as oppose to six? Ideally, I would prefer to just have six pads to tap on, without having to negotiate all the other keys/pads that make no sound. I know that if I go to plugin view, I can access the six triggers from the app itself but would rather use the pads as they are larger. I'm guessing there is a simple solution to this, but I am stymied for now.

Comments

• I had assumed that the Beatmaker listing in MIDI input/output was designed for this(had hoped it was an internal MIDI loopback) i tried on day one and it didnt work, had too much other stuff to experiment more.
  • This might not be the 'optimal' solution but load Ruismaker or Ruismaker FM to a pad.
    In the 'keys' mode set the scale to Minor Pentatonic and change the key with semitones to D#1.

When you do that the 2 middle rows play all the sounds in Ruismaker or Ruismaker FM.

• Thanks - that sounds like a good plan. It would be interesting to be able to configure pad templates for just this purpose, reducing the choices to only certain keys, essentially filtering out anything that is not selected. It could be a sort of "custom scale".

• @ALB said:
    It could be a sort of "custom scale".

Custom scales and chords have also been suggested during the beta so I guess they are in the 'famous' back-log :)
    (I'm also waiting for the arpeggiator to make a comeback as it was briefly present in the early betas).

• @samu said:

@ALB said:
    It could be a sort of "custom scale".

Custom scales and chords have also been suggested during the beta so I guess they are in the 'famous' back-log :)
    (I'm also waiting for the arpeggiator to make a comeback as it was briefly present in the early betas).

I didn't realize that the ability to make a fully customizable scale was requested, but it certainly makes sense to me. Obviously, we just need a bit more stability at the moment, but maybe this will be available in a month or two.

• Instead of loading multiple ruismakers, do this:

• @Tomes said:
    Instead of loading multiple ruismakers, do this:

I can't quite see but you're sampling the sounds to pads right? Not assigning keys.
    Definitely useful but then you can't take advantage of the AU automation etc. But thanks for the vid :)

• @Tomes said:

Yeah, I explicitly do not want to sample from Ruismaker to the pads. I want the AU automation.

• edited July 2017

@ALB said:

@Tomes said:

Yeah, I explicitly do not want to sample from Ruismaker to the pads. I want the AU automation.

What sort of automations are you after? If its just an automation to one shot, you could sample the hit with the automation. Or use something else to do similar thing to the sample, for example automating tuning on bm's sampler instead of automating it on ruismaker itself. Also why do you need 36 different drum hits? Do ALL of them require automation that cant be done with the sampler or with internal or 3rd party effects? Running ruismaker takes MUCH more cpu power than using samples, and i dont really see why one would need 6 instances of ruismaker.

• Its a really simple fix
    1 Sample it
    2 Wait for the bug fix

The developers acknowledged this is a bug and any user workarounds are a false economy, you may put days and days of effort in, and they come with a bug fix ten seconds after you have worked out some nasty hack, just be patient for now or sample the hits.

• @Tomes said:

@ALB said:

@Tomes said:

What sort of automations are you after? If its just an automation to one shot, you could sample the hit with the automation. Or use something else to do similar thing to the sample, for example automating tuning on bm's sampler instead of automating it on ruismaker itself. Also why do you need 36 different drum hits? Do ALL of them require automation that cant be done with the sampler or with internal or 3rd party effects? Running ruismaker takes MUCH more cpu power than using samples, and i dont really see why one would need 6 instances of ruismaker.

Wow. My question was so clear and then I get this weird interrogation. Glad the dev fixed the bug. I can now use it the way I want to.

• edited August 2017

Deleted

• Note: there's an update coming for Ruismaker and R/FM which will include a preset manager for hosts that don't offer their own AU preset management. That will make it easier to hop between different presets for use cases like this. ;)