Live timestrech behavior?

Hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Not really getting the same behavior as I'm used to on other samplers.

In other stuff I use with timestrech (octatrack, Push2, reaper) I can browse samples (both one shots etc and loops) and pull one in to project and 99% of the time it automatically stretches to fit the project bpm when timestrech is active. Like it will guess how many bars to strech/shrink to and normally its the result I was looking for (normally it nails this in the browser with realtime timestrech audition too). Struggling to get my head round what's going on in BM3... Often it's stretching seems totally random/out of sync and I'm having to manually specify amount of bars pretty much every single time by using the 'duration' parameter to get the desired result.

Any advice on why this aspect of BM3 feels so different to importing on other timestrech samplers? Maybe I missed an option somewhere?

Also, if I have a sample of someone gargling or whatever and it's specificied as one bar long and stretching perfectly. But then I decide I want to pick out a smaller section of the sample. Can I mess around with start/end points and have the loop points continue to strech to one bar, while I'm messing with them? When I tried this it seemed like I had to hit edit>trim each time I found new loop points that I liked.. Bit of a vibe killer when sifting through a sample and auditioning different sections of it..

Comments

• You have to activate live stretching and then click on tempo -> detect tempo

This feature is not accurate so you will have to adjust tempo manually

• This feature does not even work here at all
    If i load a loop and live stretch it, it simply removes a large portion of the loop on playback
    Will BR it when i get chance

• @NeHo Thanks, I didn't notice the 'detect tempo' function. I'll check it out and see if it's a Workflow improvement over manually entering number of bars. Doing it by specifying bars seems solid, just a pretty slow workflow (especially when auditioning/switching through a load of samples/loops) compared to the results/workflow in OT/Live/Reaper etc.

@5pinlink that sounds weird.. I had no luck with automatic timestrech/bpm so far (didn't try 'detect' yet tho...) but specifying bars seemed to stretch perfectly, just super tedious if you're doing it repeatedly.. Did you try specifying by bars?

The current default behaviour is at least cool/fast for turning a sample in to a polyphonic instrument etc tho. Seems like activating timestrech doesn't stretch a sample to project tempo etc but makes all notes the same length as original sample? Which is useful/fast for chromatic pitch stuff.
  • I tried everything to stretch loops on the timeline, haven't tried in sampler, i can do it manually, by going back and forth between the playback and process/pitch time, but live stretch, nah not happening on the timeline, i will video it and BR it up.

• @5pinlink ah, I didn't realise you were talking about in audio tracks on timeline. Not something I've ever really needed/wanted to do personally but everyone has different things going on ;) Hopefully they can make it do what you're looking for :)
  • Yeah loading an audio sample on the timeline is the only way to get the finite control you need for chopping some stuff up, either that or use a tracker.

• edited July 2017
    Tbh that sounds like work far better suited to a mouse and daw? Like in Sonar I often have hundreds of chops/samples as separate blocks and just 'ctrl + drag edge' them individually to strech/snap to however many beats/bars at project bpm. All in the regular daw tracks screen. But I would hate to do that kind of work on a touchscreen.. Way too fiddly/zoom in/zoom out etc. Guess its possible tho.
  • Lets simplify it, i want to chop out a snare, repeat it a ton of times, and then pitch them all down one by one, in the middle i want to reverse a couple so that it sounds like it is being scratched on the turntable, this means adding in a few 32nd gaps to replicate cross fader movement.
    That could be done in the sampler with a lot of editing of duplicate samples and automation.
    On a timeline this is a super easy job, and takes less time than it took to type it out, same for a tracker.

Should be no problem for touch either with the use of correct select before split and item start adjust, yeah it wont be as fast as a mouse for sure, but then nothing on IOS is as fast or as accurate as a mouse, unless it is some X/Y touch pad business. (FU Apple, give us mouse support haha)

• edited July 2017
    Yeah, I get what you mean ;) none of the stuff you mentioned in that example has timestreching (like we were talking about) tho?

Guessing they'll add stuff like 'transpose' and 'reverse' to audio track clip editing.

For now that kind of stuff maybe wouldn't be much slower just using the pads sampler tho? Like for the above example you mention just -
    trim a snare,
    turn on note repeat at your desired speed.
    record a bar pattern.
    Copy snare to another pad and reverse it.
    Go to song timeline sequencer and paste the pattern for however many snare hits you want.

Then go in to piano roll to edit any pitch info you want etc and add reverse hits.

Probably approx the same time as it'd take to duplicate audio, select blocks and repitch them + select blocks and reverse them?

Agree that having better editing for audio track clip and having both workflow options would be cool tho.

Edit - turns out transpose and reverse are there in audio track wav edit options already :)
  • Erm pitching without changing length of the snares is timestretch.
    But i was only replying to your question about it being better on desktop DAWs.
  • Ahhh, sorry, didn't realise you meant change pitch without changing length ;)
  • Nah my mistake, i was typing quick and not very clear explanation im afraid.