Moved from FR (Solved) Housekeeping: Dedicated Audio Editor Mode

edited August 2017 in General

BM3 is seriously filling much of the missing pieces of music production on iOS. I'm nervous to get too attached just yet to be honest. Tons of potential. You've hit a lot of areas with some pretty broad strokes, so there is no shortage of respect here.

Audio editing on iOS is seriously over looked in my opinion. The sampler section (minus the transient detection feature which will be arriving soon I believe) present a significant missing piece of audio production on iOS. However, BM3 would really benefit from a dedicated audio editor that was decoupled from the sampler.

This would be a dream:

• Open the audio editor
  • Open a file or record from an audio source
  • Trim, slice, normalize it etc
  • Save the take overwriting the original, into any subfolder, or save a new file.

At the moment, its:

• Create a new Session
  • Create a bank
  • Add a plugin (or load an audio file)
  • Record the plugin (perhaps one or two takes) - the recordings are mapped to the keyboard
  • Delete the mappings
  • Delete the bank
  • Create a new bank
  • Import a recording into the sampler
  • Tweak away
  • Forced into saving this as a new file into the general sampler folder !!
  • Later, open the file system tab
  • Preview the files
  • Delete the unwanted ones
  • Rename the new ones
  • etc

... its a bit, well, I think you get the picture. You could have an absolute file system rather than a session branch. In a dream of dreams... you could open BM3 without creating a new session and just get to the hard work of editing audio files.

Anyhow - hope this appeals and something like it happens relatively soon! Danke :)

Comments

• Why would you need to do most of those things you listed if you just wanted to edit an audio file? I'm confused ;)

Just open BM3, browse for file, drag the file to the default bank 1 pad 1 sample page, edit, save...

Rinse and repeat (just drag new file in to the sampler and it'll replace the one you were previously working on...)

Just needs an 'overwrite original file' option (if that isn't there already?) and then would be basically just as quick as having a separate editor doing what you're looking to do?

Sounds like you're going through a lot of unnecessary steps just to edit an audio file in BM3 ;) Unless I'm missing something?
  • You can already do what you want to do, if you do it via audio teacks there is currently a bug that doesn't allow you to save the sample, but if you load the audio in to the sampler, press the edit button, this will bring up the audio editor, you can trim/slice/normalise etc, then you can save the sample, you have multiple options for save.

Currently there is no destructive editing with effects, but you can render these out.

• edited July 2017

Hey Heyez, yep - I would agree about there being a lot of unnecessary steps alright! So, maybe this will explain it better.

• create a new session
    • create a new bank
    • assign a plugin to a pad (e.g. ruismaker)
    • generate some tones
    • in the plugin view, record interesting hits
    • the files are saved to the top level samples folder
    • the sampler will assign each recording to a key (why?)
    • turn off the plugin
    • open the files tab
    • drop a recorded drum hit into the sampler
    • normalise, trim etc
    • you have to save the file into the samples folder again, except this time you can name it
    • now go back into the samples folder, and find the original recording and delete it

Thats the present workflow. I do find that to incur a lot of unnecessary steps, but in fairness, I haven't been able to find another way. Perhaps I'm missing something? I hope so! How does your workflow go?

EDIT: I suppose the difference here is that I am trying to assemble a collection of reusable samples rather than have samples too closely coupled to individual sessions. Hope that makes sense...

• edited July 2017
    Seems like you just require the option to be able to choose folder to save sample/s to? Most of the other steps you mention either aren't neccessary or would still be required in a standalone editor workflow...
    I haven't really looked at BM3 sample saving options yet so I dunno if it's already possible to save samples to a folder outside of session...Guessing if it isn't already then it probably will be after updates/apple opening up the file system a little as rumoured in ios 11..
  • It seems that you intentionally make things 'too complicated'?!?

For example if you wan't to 'sample' Ruismaker load it to pad #1.
    In the plug-in sampler enable the 'move to next pad' and trigger as many variations you like to different pads.
    Edit the samples on the pads as usual trim, normalise etc. when you're done 'editing' save the sample to the main samples folder.

When you're done editing all the samples delete the 'temporary' session you used to make the samples, this will also delete all the temporary files...

• edited July 2017
    @Heyez :smile:
    > Seems like you just require the option to be able to choose folder to save sample/s to?

That would most definitely be a help! Really, all I want is a standalone audio editor mode decoupled from the Sampler altogether, so when creating or maintaining my own library (which I am doing at the moment), it's a purely arbitrary lightweight process. I think it's the tight coupling of the sampler workflow, which is fine for ad-hoc record-and-tap, but which I find intrusive for my own sample recording and editing workflow (outside of BM3).

@samu :
    > It seems you *intenionally* make make things "too complicated"

I am not a fan of implicit suggestions, period. You've insulted me. No need. Like a lot of others, I discovered/RTFM'ed that approach you posted above to be a good workaround, so thanks for reiterating. It will help others on this thread, but it's not the only way. Listen. There are lots of ways to make music, be it with hardware (analog or digital) or software or both. There are a lot of workflows out there, from the hobbyist to the professional. Some professionals prefer the "press it and see" approach, some don't, and vice versa, ditto for hobbyists; it's a head space thing. That approach seems to work for you, it doesn't for me. Is that a crime? Do my preferences make me wrong? I appreciated your workaround for Ruismaker, which is fine for that context, but if you go into Ruismaker/FM settings in iOS general settings, you can see it has opt-in GM mappings and so on. It seems where we differ is that you don't mind workarounds, where hands up, I am a right PIA as I like formal systems. BM3 has so much potential- honestly- I think this is boiling down to a 'taste' issue for me. I don't invent BM3, but as a user, I find it infuriating to have to deep dive into sub menus to put in place what I would have considered to be high level settings (such as Odyseei - I had not realised that each bank had its own midi preferences - thnkx!). Comfort zone stuff. We're all different, right? Pax.
  • edited July 2017
    I would hazard to guess some workflow restrictions are set up in a way to prevent users from crashing the app. Obviously the more straightforward approach is to be desired, I was a beta tester for a year on another app and I made a lot of suggestions to the developer and got a lot of explanation as to why certain decisions made earlier on led to large obstacles later on in terms of handling RAM etc. Even Cubasis can crash doing a simple IAA recording which should tell you something. My advice is to try to break up tasks to keep the memory footprint low. BM3 really ought to integrate AudioShare import so as to encourage users to use that over the internal recorder. Undoubtedly AudioShare is the most efficient app for recording, previewing and organising audio. You can do all your batch sampling there and then zip and share into BM3 for processing and beat making. Hopefully down the line BM3 will lift restrictions to allow more fluid audio recording as updates can address the more serious memory bugs.