Latency, Latency, Latency on a 2017 model iPad pro!?

I'm not the only one...are you guys experiencing this? Will a interface help the issue?

Comments

• I don't have any problems with latency on the 2017 iPad Pro 10.5". Did you lower the audio buffer in the settings?

• What's going on @jblongz!? Yes i have, and it still does it for me...are you using an interface?
  • No iOS interface. Just have a Y cable from headphone port to my UAD Apollo.

• edited July 2017

Have you tried resetting your devices by holding down the power and home buttons for 5 to 10 seconds till you get the bitten Apple reboot symbol?

• edited July 2017

Another tip is to clear ram..it may or may not help. From the unlocked state, hold the power button until the option to swipe 'off', release it, then hold the home button about 5 seconds until the home screen returns.

• I am glad that I wasn't the only one. What I found was that the issue isn't caused by the app itself, it is also noticeable for other audio apps such as GarageBand. I think the device is just too new and the firmwares are not optimized yet.

Mine has no delay for the most part, but then after you play with any audio apps for a little bit you will start to notice the response latency. My temporary solution is to just unplug the headphone cable and plug right back in, it immediately returns back to normal.

• @ImMrWilson said:
    I'm not the only one...are you guys experiencing this? Will a interface help the issue?

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/20114/new-ipad-pro-12-9-2017-problem-with-latency-and-digital-noise#latest

Check this thread about this...

• That audiob.us thread has died, was curious if you guys have seen this issue go away with the latest IOS 11 beta? I was going to order the 12.9 Pro, but am holding off until the issue is resolved in some definitive fashion.

• I dont get any latency with my iPad pro 12.9 it's working very well

• @drez said:
    That audiob.us thread has died, was curious if you guys have seen this issue go away with the latest IOS 11 beta? I was going to order the 12.9 Pro, but am holding off until the issue is resolved in some definitive fashion.

I was the guy that started the thread on Audiobus forum about the latency on the new generation iPad Pro...

If you just unplug/replug the cable in the headphone jacket it will go back to normal (very low latency).
    And, I bought the iPhone 7 adapter Lightning/3.5mm Phone, but, the problem stills there!
    So, analog/digital sound connection doesn’t matter, It coming back again on a very intermittent manner :-(

So, the theory that it is the new 120Mhz screen refresh seems to be the problem here...
    BUT, buy your new iPad, Apple will to 100% have a solution to this in a very short period...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@drez said:
    That audiob.us thread has died, was curious if you guys have seen this issue go away with the latest IOS 11 beta? I was going to order the 12.9 Pro, but am holding off until the issue is resolved in some definitive fashion.

I was the guy that started the thread on Audiobus forum about the latency on the new generation iPad Pro...

If you just unplug/replug the cable in the headphone jacket it will go back to normal (very low latency).
    And, I bought the iPhone 7 adapter Lightning/3.5mm Phone, but, the problem stills there!
    So, analog/digital sound connection doesn’t matter, It coming back again on a very intermittent manner :-(

So, the theory that it is the new 120Mhz screen refresh seems to be the problem here...
    BUT, buy your new iPad, Apple will to 100% have a solution to this in a very short period...

And, even Apples own Garageband has this latency problem on my iPad Pro 12.9" 2017...

• BM3 refresh rate is capped at 60Hz BTW.

• edited July 2017

@mathieugarcia said:
    BM3 refresh rate is capped at 60Hz BTW.

Orly? Could that be the issue then? If the iPad switches its refresh rate based on whatever algorithm it uses to raise/lower it, maybe that's what causes the issue. Or when you switch from one app to another and you have conflicting refresh rates.

@mathieugarcia is there a reason why you pinned it to 60hz?

• @NeHo said:
    I dont get any latency with my iPad pro 12.9 it's working very well

Are you on iOS 10 or 11?

• @NeHo said:
    I dont get any latency with my iPad pro 12.9 it's working very well

The 2017 generation?

• Ios 10
    iPad 2017 bought in april

• @NeHo said:
    Ios 10
    iPad 2017 bought in april

If you bought it in april, it definitely NOT an second generation iPad Pro...
    That generation of iPads had sales premier around 14 june...
    That’s why you don’t have that problem, because yours an first generation...

• edited July 2017

I bought mine 2 weeks ago. 10.5" 512GB LTE running iOS 10.3.3 There is only 1 generation for the 10.5"at this time. I have tried to experience trigger latency, but not yet. I have had other issues with bluetooth headphones forcing 8000Khz sample rate, but that may be a bluetooth packet latency limitation.

• The latency also goes away when you switch from headphone output to Bluetooth speaker then back to headphone.

• IOS 11 does not fix the issue...

This really sucks because i primarily use my headphones when tracking. Unplugging them and plugging them back up seems to work.

@rickyislazy does this fix the problem PERMANENTLY??? I have no clue how to do what you mentioned...can you give steps? I'm a newb when it comes to anything iOS smh...
  • @rickyislazy said:
    The latency also goes away when you switch from headphone output to Bluetooth speaker then back to headphone.

Easier to just unplug/replug the audiocable (headphone or audiosystem)...

• Did this issues ever get fixed? I just bought a new iPad 10.5 and upgraded to IOS 11 and I’m still having latency problems. Also The unplugging of the headphone hasn’t worked for me either.

• I bought my 10.5 Pro just over a month ago, I use BM3 every day and I've never experienced any latency problems like the ones described above. I've had 2 crashes in that time but these were triggered when I loaded AUv3 plugins during playback - ie, easy to avoid.

• I notice the problem is only occurring with BM3 after I’ve loaded 3 or 4 synth and drums. It’s not happening with GarageBand and it’s not happening with my old iPad mini.