Explode pads to edit notes in piano roll

If I have a bank with pad 1 kick, pad 2 snare, pad 3 bass.. How would I edit the bass notes in a sequenced pattern? I'm just seeing one row per pad, no piano roll per pad? Am I missing something obvious? Thanks

Comments

• Tap the small piano icon on top right to switch to keys mode for the selected pad.

• Sweet, didn't spot that ;) thanks
  • Samu,
    If I have multiple instruments on one pad, I can see them all on the editing page, but when I shift to piano roll, I only see one. Is that normal? Thanks for your helpful responses throughout the various forums.

• edited August 2017

When you first enter the pattern editor(while not using 'keys mode') you see all the pads to the left.
    Select on the pad you wish to edit and then hit the small piano icon.

Alternative method is to select a pad on the perform viewm press keys mode and then choose the pattern editor.
    (This way you'll go to straight to 'keys mode' for the selected pad in the pattern).

Unfortunately you can currently NOT change the 'pad' while in keys edit mode even though the 'pad numbers' are present in the left column. I consider this a 'bug' (@mathiegarcia) as it should be easy to jump between pads while still using the keys mode to edit the pattern...

It would also be handy to show 'ghosted notes' from another pads track
    (think showing bass-line from one track while adding chords to another pad or vice versa).

• +1 on the ghosted notes and easy switching.
  • @samu: Thank you!

• @Heyez said:
    Sweet, didn't spot that ;) thanks

lol.... this puzzled me first also.
    until I saw that icon and hit it. (which took a while to "find"it)
    I was like.... wtf? :D

Is there are a logical or practical reason for this kind of layout?
    Why does the piano button has to be pushed additionally?
    Why doesn't it automatically switch to the piano roll view?

Isn't the instrument piano roll (midi-wise) the same as the sampler piano roll?
    Or is it not?

Just interested - because when you're used to a classical DAW layout (like Logic/Cubase) you don't have different piano rolls. So it's not immidiately intuitive that way.

And switching tried and proven methods would only make sense - if the way BM3 handles it - has better practical value?

• There's two 'layers' in each BM3 pattern.

The first layer is for all the 'pads'(when recording the 'key' that is set for each pad is recorded).
    This mode also makes it easier to tap-in/draw the trigger events for the pads, the pad name is on the left.

The second layer is the 'keys' mode for each pad for more detailed editing and playing the pads at different pitches.

The same method is also used in an app such as BeatHawk where it's called 'pitch mode'.

• edited August 2017
    But midi events recorded with the sampler only appear in the first layer - and instrument midi events only in the second layer?

I will have to try to understand this. Sounds kinda to complicated for my taste.
    Desktop DAWs don't use this method - or do they?

What‘s the advantage for this two-layer approach?

(I‘m just a sucker for simplicity and intuitive UX - so every extra step/click that needs to be taken to achieve the same result - is pretty redundant and need to be avoided if possible - in my opinion)
  • @william77 ...maybe this will help.

When you are NOT in the piano roll mode (second layer), what you are seeing is just the event...that you hit a note at that position in time. By default, when playing pads that note defaults to C3. Take drum sounds for instance, when you load the sample onto the pad, it defaults to C3.

If you playing that pad with a keyboard either because it is an instrument like a piano or you just want to play the sample at different pitches, the event is still recorded, but at some pitch other than C3. In order to see what pitch the event was played at, you have to open the keyboard view.

I think the logic is that because of the way the interface is set up, if you were to see a separate piano roll view for each pad, the up and down scrolling would be insane.

So, when you switch between what @samu is calling layer one and two, you are switching between viewing the event only or the pitch at which the event was played...least that's how I conceptualize it.

Took me a minute to wrap my head around this concept or to see why it was useful. I'm getting used to it...

Hope I didn't further tangle your wires... :/

• By default the pads 1-16 respond on midi-channels 1-16.
    So if the recorded midi-events only show up on pad 1 it means the controller is transmitting on midi-channel 1.

To record incoming midi to the selected pad enable omni mode as it will ignore what midi-channel the controller is using.