No AUv3 plugin presets! (For AUs that normally have a drop-down menu)

edited August 2017 in Bug reports

Hi there,

There are quite a few AU plugins that use the drop-down menu for access to presets. BM3 doesn't offer access to this drop-down preset menu for some reason.

Apedelay, a fairly complex app, is one that suffers - for an app like this, I often like to go through the presets until I find something I like, then dial it in and make changes, instead of starting from zero every time.

I've included screenshots from Aum and BM3 so you can see what I'm talking about.

I very much hope this gets fixed! Would make a huge difference. :)

Comments

• edited August 2017

Aum:

• edited August 2017

BM3:

• Yeah it's a shame they aren't accessible. I use Viking Synth a lot and although I know how to dial in 'my sound', I defo miss playing with the many excellent presets when jamming.
  • Needed. Standard!

King

• It's due to Apples faulty AUv3 preset-management system on iOS (ie. no standard for sharing 'user-created' presets between hosts) that this feature is missing in BM3.

Ie. if one creates a preset for an AUv3 using 'Apples Method' the preset will not be present when the plug-in is used in another AUv3 host as it will be locked inside the host in which it was created and this is BAD...

This is also the reason why some AUv3 implement their own way of managing presets.

• Defo not perfect as a user preset directory but factory presets should still be accessible in my opinion. Even Sebastian (who fought AU every step of the way) conceded that point on the AB boards.
  • I agree. anyone knows if it's at least a planned feature? It's a critical feature in my workflow so i'm not using bm3 despite his great potential without it.

• Even if the presets would be made 'avaible' Apples flawed AUv3 preset implementation makes it impossible to share presets between hosts.

For 'read only' presets it might be ok but not if you wan't to create your own presets and share them between hosts...

• Virsyn, ApeSoft/Amazing Nosies, Audiodamage, Poison-202, Wolfgang Palm, KLVGR apps and many others have custom preset-management so those presets and user created presets are always available across multiple hosts.

Some earlier apps such as those from Blamsoft (Viking etc.) do not have custom preset-management and if a host implements 'save preset' those get 'locked' to that host :(

Most recent AUv3's also implement custom preset management to overcome Apples's flawed preset-implementation...

• edited August 2017
    @samu , to be correct: it is officially the host's responsibility to implement preset management (according to Apple). Hence older plugins don't offer preset management. Recently released plugins only do it because a number of more recent hosts are failing to do it. Most 'older' hosts do. Access to factory presets should be the bare minimum, obviously.
  • @brambos I'm fully aware of that but it doesn't work in practice since presets can not 'shared' between hosts.

This is just another example of a 'good intention with faulty delivery' from Apple caused by 'Paranoid iOS Sandboxing' making it tedious for one app to access the content from another.

• That may be so, but that's for Apple to solve.
    So early on in a standard's lifespan it's critical that everyone sticks to the guidelines, lest we create a messy hairball of confusion, fragmentation and incompatibility. The fact that some plugins offer their own preset system as a courtesy to users does not relieve hosts of their responsibilities. If we want AUv3 to succeed we need to stick to its rules.
  • edited August 2017

@brambos said:
    That may be so, but that's for Apple to solve.
    So early on in a standard's lifespan it's critical that everyone sticks to the guidelines, lest we create a messy hairball of confusion, fragmentation and incompatibility. The fact that some plugins offer their own preset system as a courtesy to users does not relieve hosts of their responsibilities. If we want AUv3 to succeed we need to stick to its rules.

Agreed, I also hope that Apple by now has been made aware of the 'unsolved issues' regarding iOS AUv3 preset handling. All this would be a 'non issue' if there was a 'public' and central storage area on iOS where all apps could read/write files as they please like ~/Documents/ and ~/Library/ and in the case of AUv3 presets ~/Library/Audio/Presets/

Considering this was not addressed during WWDC'17 I suspect we'll have to wait until iOS12 or something like that...

• I am planning to investigate the new AU features in iOS11 (midi output and multi-sized GUI) and wait a bit to see how these will be adopted by hosts. Perhaps once the iOS11 dust has settled it's time for some of us plugin and host developers to write an open letter to Apple with our real-world observations, insights and suggestions. I'm sure we can find some listening ears inside Fortress Apple.

• I'll put my opinion in here, that I'd like to see some preset management become available in BM3. I recently purchased NFM, a synth that relies on the host for preset management.

I found a workaround wherein I create presets using NFM itself, save them, and then set up an AUM session with the NFM instances I want to use, and use MIDI and IAA to pipe the audio back into BM3.

This is very cumbersome though... I found myself mildly disappointed after discovering so many cool things about BM3 :neutral:

I'll put in a request to NFM to add preset loading into the AU itself, but consider this a request to add AU preset management to BM3, despite any limitations that Apple gives us at the moment. :smile:

• @queries said:
    I'll put my opinion in here, that I'd like to see some preset management become available in BM3. I recently purchased NFM, a synth that relies on the host for preset management.

I found a workaround wherein I create presets using NFM itself, save them, and then set up an AUM session with the NFM instances I want to use, and use MIDI and IAA to pipe the audio back into BM3.

This is very cumbersome though... I found myself mildly disappointed after discovering so many cool things about BM3 :neutral:

I'll put in a request to NFM to add preset loading into the AU itself, but consider this a request to add AU preset management to BM3, despite any limitations that Apple gives us at the moment. :smile:

The NFM developer has confirmed that he is working on adding a preset manager to the AU. :)