why mute audio, not sequence?

edited September 2017 in Feature Requests

well after the initial excitement, i've got to say there is one thing i just don't get with this app.
on the trigger pads there's a mute option. but what does it do? it mutes audio. why mute the audio
instead of it muting sequence data being put out?
i've never used anything that works like this, hardware or software.
when you mute a pattern it abrupty cuts off the audio. no tails, just cuts it dead. so for live performance on the pads un/muting, mixing up your patterns, build things up etc this feature is useless.
i thought i'd try IAA. Does extantly the same thing by abruptly cutting the audio, but worst still the sequencer keeps putting out the midi?!! i just don't get it
why have the feature on the trigger pads? they are for playing live, either on screen or with a mapped controller. an audio mute button else where, for sure, but not on the trigger pads. the mute on the trigger pads 'normally' stops midi being sent but keeps the transport cycling, enabling you to mute a track and keep your audio tails.
i'm totally crest fallen :( this is a lush app

Comments

• Octatrack mutes do this too. Agreed it's not ideal and having the sample/fx tail would be nice if it's possible to tweak the code in an update.
  • @canister maybe switch the category of your original post to 'feature requests' so it doesn't get lost ;)
  • I think the core 'problem' here is the the fact that the mute & solo buttons in the perform view are linked with the mixer. An option here would be a toggle that disables the connection between mixer and perform view.

This could be a side-effect of optimisation (ie. do not process muted tracks).

In practice when this 'option' is enabled mute would simply stop reading events from the sequencer and keep the audio for the pad running?

A side-effect here could be that note-off events could 'get lost' and cause hanging notes...
    When sequencing 'one shots' this shouldn't cause any problems as they don't need 'note off' events.

• @Heyez yeah, i will do. not too hopeful, tho. they seem like they've got a lot on their plate at the mo. why not just mute the midi?? can't even use it with external gear cos of that. christ, i've never been this upset since my hamster pingpong died. sadness covers the sky...again :(

• @samu In practice when this 'option' is enabled mute would simply stop reading events from the sequencer and keep the audio for the pad running?
    that would be dependant on what people would be after- either hold or one shot. there is also the envelope? i think the sampler is really great but the sequencer is what i find unworkable. the reason i'd asked you about owning an E2 is that you would understand how this works because i was hoping for a work-around.
    muting the pads keeps the sequencer cycling but stops the sequencer sending out CC's, presumably with a note off when muted. same with all sequencers, whether it's muting midi tracks in a DAW like cubasis or using a novation circuit/electribe.
    i don't know really.
    as a sampler then its fair enough that it does that. but as a sequencer for IAA or eternal gear , it just doesn't work for live stuff. everything just being abruptly stopped like that sounds terrible! i've got an analogue synth which i don't want to have to send thru bm3 to mute and have digitised too. another button on the performance bank page for mute/midi??

• edited August 2017

I'm pretty sure @mathieugarcia has a solution for this...
    (I have no clue on the priorityorder but I do know there is a LOT of cool stuff in the pipe).

• A big +1 on this. Mute on a pad should cause it to stop sending notes, not mute the sound. Mute on the mixer should mute the audio, not affect notes. Basic. Needed.

• BM3 needs to work like beathawk. if a pad is muted in a pattern the pattern can be duplicated and unmuted. This makes arranging parts simpler than live recording mute automations, though that can be fun.
  • edited August 2017

UP
    pretty surprised that more people don't get this and have just let it pass. Maybe it's not so important for some peoples' work flow or ..?
    got to say that being able to mute midi lanes of a sequencer and cut off note/ cc's is not a niche thing- it's fundamental to every DAW.
    muting audio from external sources like hardware or other apps while continuing to send them note/cc's is not only a waste of resources such as cpu/ram/polyphony, it's just plain inelegant.
    probably a bit like driving a car that doesn't have brakes fitted, so when you need to stop you just have to crash in to something firmly rooted to the ground... like a big tree or a brick wall.

• +1 that there should be a pattern mute as well as an audio mute!
  • +100 I agree this is quite a fundamental feature.
  • +1 for the right to choose

• +1. Essential feature request.
  • It seems logical to me to have a mute button on the sequencer to actually mute the patterns, not the audio.
    Anywhere else in the app, it should mute the audio (perform/pads and mixer).

It sounds like a good compromise like this ?

Cheers!
    Mathieu.

• "28, Mute for patterns in song view. Individual Pattern mutes.

@vincent said: Pretty advanced but why not (maybe not needed if we put back multiple tracks per Bank)"

King

• Don't think it's too advanced, that's how BM2 mute button on the sequencer worked :-)

• edited August 2017

Yep! And by the way 'we' are advanced, it's slowly catching up with 'us'. :-)

Great!

King

• edited August 2017

hi @mathieugarcia 'sounds like a good compromise like this ?'
    with focus action
    yep, that would be really great. thanks

• @mathieugarcia
    "
    It seems logical to me to have a mute button on the sequencer to actually mute the patterns, not the audio.
    Anywhere else in the app, it should mute the audio (perform/pads and mixer).

It sounds like a good compromise like this ?

Cheers!
    Mathieu."

At the moment it seems like the Bank's global fx tails continue after a pad is muted. But any 'individual pad' fx are killed. Ideally both bank global fx + individual pad fx tails would survive pad mutes ;)

Also there's a very small but noticeable fade out when muting pads (most noticeable non-drum samples). It should be an instant mute for the actual sample I think? With only fx tails remaining.
  • edited August 2017
    @Heyez use the send channels. Set your pad output to the send, you can get reverb and delay effects put on those channels which won't be affected by the audio muting of the pads.
  • @LucidMusicInc thanks, yeh I thought of that but I'd end up with a million send channels and having to jump between screens to tweak etc ;) Just seems like the bank fx are already post-fader/mutes so maybe the pad fx can be changed to be the same way too?
  • @Heyez well there are insert effects for things like filters and distortion and compression and send effects for reverbs and delays. You save processing power by putting reverbs and delays on the sends and routing multiple tracks there, so by combining I think you could reduce tweaking. Still a good idea to use bank effects and pad effects. The sends will just help with the muting cutoff.
  • edited August 2017
    @LucidMusicInc send/shared delays are kind of 'all or nothing' tho. Or you have to leave the pad page to tweak. It's one of the reasons I have no interest in grabbing a digitakt but love the octatrack. Way more fun/flexible to have delay inserts per pad and mess with one while other delays do their own thing ;) the send thing could be 'ok' for a workaround, just a bit clunky compared to coding it so the pad fx are post-fader/mutes like the bank fx already are. For example I might want the pad's delays/verb in front of other fx that shape the pad's sound (distortion/bitcrush etc..)... Using sends could get messy/tedious pretty quick ;) especially over like 10+ pads :/
  • There is a hard limit of 8 sends too, just an FYI

• are we calling this request still open, because the MIDI mute implemented in 3.0.3 is MIDI data, not pattern data, so it will mute external instruments, but it will not mute internal instruments e.g AUs or the sampler.

• edited September 2017
    All three are very slightly different things, and non of them are covered by the 3.0.3 update haha
  • @5pinlink said:

are we calling this request still open, because the MIDI mute implemented in 3.0.3 is MIDI data, not pattern data, so it will mute external instruments, but it will not mute internal instruments e.g AUs or the sampler.

i'd still love an actual proper mute feature that is usable. i don't know if you tried the new feature and found any use for it. i can't imagine what it could be used for, certainly not for getting busy on the pads. when a pad is muted bm3 doesn't not send out notes off messages. good for having a load of stuck notes.
    seems the 4x4 aren't what you think they're for.

• edited September 2017
    Wait did I read this correctly? Pad mutes are now midi and not audio mutes?
  • As i have said, this was not my recomendation when asked by the developers, i suggested audio mute on the mixer and MIDI mute on the pads, they did not listen to me, i cant do any more than suggest to them, if they choose another route it is their software after all ;)