Recording with effects

This discussion was created from comments split from: Beatmaker 3: Tips - Tricks - & Secrets.

Comments

• I just made a discovery about how audio is routed when you record using IAA or Auv3 plugins as an effect.

When you add an effect an Auv3 guitar effect like ToneBridge, or an IAA guitar effect like Mobile Pod, it's not acting like a a normal effect that you can turn on and off of the dry signal. It's recording the effected sound into the audio track. When you go back and listen to the track you have to turn off the effect, or you get twice as much. Example: Record with a super crunchy guitar setting on ToneBridge Auv3 effect, get a doublely super crunch guitar sound on playback unless you turn off the effect.

This eliminates the need for Audiobus in the short term I guess, because at least I've now figured out how to get my super crunchy guitar sound into BM3. (At least in Song view. I haven't tried this out in Scene view yet to see if things act the same way.). But still, it's a strange way for an effect plugin to work, and not at all what I'm used to. Typically there's the dry signal, and you can turn on and off the effect.

So, bug? Not a bug? Feature? Definitely unexpected behaviour, though at this point I'm happy to have it. Until they bake in Audiobus support this seems to be the only way to get your super crunchy guitar sound into BM3.

• Do you mean that you want to use the effect as an insert? It sounds like you are applying the effect to an aux, rather than the instrument channel, or have I completely missed the point?

• @handymaker said:
    I just made a discovery about how audio is routed when you record using IAA or Auv3 plugins as an effect.

When you add an effect an Auv3 guitar effect like ToneBridge, or an IAA guitar effect like Mobile Pod, it's not acting like a a normal effect that you can turn on and off of the dry signal. It's recording the effected sound into the audio track. When you go back and listen to the track you have to turn off the effect, or you get twice as much. Example: Record with a super crunchy guitar setting on ToneBridge Auv3 effect, get a doublely super crunch guitar sound on playback unless you turn off the effect.

This eliminates the need for Audiobus in the short term I guess, because at least I've now figured out how to get my super crunchy guitar sound into BM3. (At least in Song view. I haven't tried this out in Scene view yet to see if things act the same way.). But still, it's a strange way for an effect plugin to work, and not at all what I'm used to. Typically there's the dry signal, and you can turn on and off the effect.

So, bug? Not a bug? Feature? Definitely unexpected behaviour, though at this point I'm happy to have it. Until they bake in Audiobus support this seems to be the only way to get your super crunchy guitar sound into BM3.

It seems like a strange behaviour to me. I would rather have a freeze track option like Cubasis, which is my favourite feature.

I made a thread about this a while ago: https://intua.net/forums/discussion/4858/audio-records-wet-signal#latest

• Note if you want a dry recording while hearing effects while you play, just create two tracks, record to both but only have the effects on one of them, this way when you have finished recording you have a 'Hush DI' set up where you have a dry track and an effected track ;)