IAA resampling out of sync

edited August 2017 in Bug reports
Haven't had time to test this properly but something I ran in to today.

Had funkbox on a bank pad as an IAA. Recorded a quantized pattern in BM3. All sounded OK.
Wanted to resample the pattern to an audio track.

Looked like it worked fine but sounded very slightly off on playback.. on closer inspection I had lost the attack on the first beat and all beats were slightly ahead of the grid. Tried again and same result.

Maybe user error/a settings config thing and someone can enlighten me with a fix? Or confirm its a current bug?

Thanks

Comments

• I did notice frustrating syncing issues when I was working on a track. I had an IAA app for bassline, an IAA for synth, and I kept feeling like things weren't syncing the way they should. I ended up getting to a point in BM3 and then exporting the tracks to fix up in Ableton later so I could finish the track. I've also tried testing with an instance of DM1 on one track and DM2 on another track, both set at the same bpm, and when I hit play it was a horrible trainwreck. I didn't see many posts about sync issues or odd latency, so I assumed I might be doing it wrong. I thought maybe I had to configure things differently to compensate, and I haven't read the manual much yet so I was planning on doing that to make sure I wasn't missing anything. I'm on the first gen iPad Pro 12.9 with iOS 10, latest release of BM3.

• Think i noted this in my original Korg rave stabs video, but yes confirmed anyway.

• Unfortunately not all IAA apps are built the same.
    We have IAA Generators and IAA Instruments to deal with.

Most IAA Instruments are nice enough to provide information back to the host (ie. they 'time stamp' the audio packets so the host has a reasonable chance to correct the timing).

IAA Generators on the other hand are hit / miss as the timing depends on how fast they respond to incoming midi and produce the output.(In Cubasis for example it's almost mandatory to adjust midi-timing of the sent midi-events in order to get the audio to arrive somewhat on time when recording it).

Would be good to know which apps users are having issues with?

• edited September 2017

I think it might be an idea to create and maintain a confirmed IAA thread.
    A list of IAA with confirmed issues and workarounds.
    Thoughts ?

• @5pinlink said:
    I think it might be an idea to create and maintain a confirmed IAA thread.
    A list of IAA with confirmed issues and workarounds.
    Thoughts ?

I like this idea. It might be helpful to see how people are using or coping with the behavior of a particular IAA. Do I need to do some midi routing for this app? does it need to be bounced down to audio? Does it even work? etc.

• @samu Dang.. This sounds like a bummer :(

Can add Funkbox to the list then. That's the only one I've tried to resample in this way so far. Will update when I've had time to try others.
  • @Heyez said:
    @samu Dang.. This sounds like a bummer :(

Can add Funkbox to the list then. That's the only one I've tried to resample in this way so far. Will update when I've had time to try others.

Personally I try to export audio from apps as much as possible instead of 'running them live'.
    So in the case of FunkBox I just create the patterns in the app and export them as audio.

On the other hand if it's only the sounds one is after they can be easily extracted from the app.
    (I have a 'bad habit' of extracting samples from all the apps I purchase so they can be used 'everywhere').

• @samu Thanks for suggesting those workarounds :) A shame they're neccessary but will keep them in mind if I find myself wanting to use that app again.

Tbh I'll probably just avoid Funkbox now tho, my main long term grudge with ios is having to export audio between apps! I should probably try to have a little more patience with it tho..
  • I believe it's a bm3 ableton link issue. Same behaviour with all the link apps I've tried that work fine by themselves when syncing together. The BM3 sequencer is no longer syncing correctly with ableton link. See my other post

• This is a MIDI issue and nothing to do with Ableton Link, they are separate issues ;)