How to BACKUP BM3 now?

Hey guys -

I do not want to install the new 3.03 update without first BACKING UP my BM3 content on both my iPads.

The option to backup via itunes is now GONE and there is NO MENTION of BACKUP in the new BM3 manual:

How do I BACK UP my BM3 content now, please?

THANKS!
:)

Comments

• You can use imazing or ifunbox, a single click "back up to network" would be great inside BM3 though.

• Thanks mate - I appreciate the info :)

I'm backing up my Beatmaker 3 content with iMazing now :)

• edited September 2017

I use iMazing to add files directly to an apps folder structure, this way i can just go directly in to BM browser structure and copy paste at will, I only really know about it because i found it a little hack for DJPlayer Pro, In DJPlayer Pro you can't actually add tunes locally, unless you open it via iMazing and just put your songs in its own internal recordings folder, works brilliantly, so no idea about backing up actual app files, I have never tried, but suspect it works fine.
    I am told iFunbox works just as well, but i never had any success with it at all, iMazing just works, but plenty of people love iFunbox, so take that with a pinch of "5pin is dumb as dog s**t"

• FYI:

iMazing worked really well for me backing up my entire BM3 content on PC - It was not cheap though...

However, I see this as an iPad utility investment for more than just BM3 backup.

and +1 for being able to add copy/paste at will to BM3's browser structure :)

• Q: Can anyone confirm if iMazing will also backup (and restore) my Gadget, Cubasis and Nanostudio projects as easily and conveniently as it seems to do with BM3?

If so, I'm sold.

• iTunes Filesharing still works with iTunes 12.7.
    (and Backup also works but the 'app-management' is gone).

On the Mac I use AirDrop and/or iFunBox to send selected folders/session to/from my computer(s).
    You also have the option to copy content to DropBox and other Cloud Services.

I think it's just a matter of time before we get a SMB 'Plug-In' for the Files.app making easier to manage files.
    Remains to be seen if iOS11 'breaks' iFunBox...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @triton100 said:

So currently I simply have my iPad automatically backing up to iCloud. And then every so often I will back up to iTunes for additional safety backup. This seems to be working fine.
    Is there any reason I shouldn't be continuing to work this way and start using imazing?

That way should work just fine!
    If my iPad 64GB gets 'too full' I need to have a way to 'get the stuff out' to make room for more, this is where exporting using either AirDrop/iFunBox is quite handy.

I do have a local file-server to copy stuff to/from that's why an SMB-Client would be super handy to have in the Files.app!

• @StudioES said:
    Yeah, great info here. Thank you all. :) Will explore on an old pc first, sniff around a bit.

@samu Have you heard that Apple will add smb or webdav clients at some point to the Files app? Won't that mean less people paying for more icloud drive storage? And licensing issues with copyrighted data? Thanks.

Considering there's support for DropBox and other CloudServices (GoogleDrive and Box to name a few) that can be accessed using the Files.app (Including some FTP based services) I doubt that will be a problem.

I've yet to dig into what the 'Mac OS Server' option is for but since Mac OS Server does it's file sharing using SMB it could mean that installing those 'services' on the Mac would enable browsing of content hosted on the desktop.

I will be installing the final iOS11 on my iPad Air 2 on the 19th.

• Maybe it's time we introduce a full backup option which would basically archive ALL the content and export it with the iOS sharing panel? This can be done already via 'Files' mode, just select everything, Archive, and share.

• Thanks @mathieugarcia , very helpful.

• @mathieugarcia

I have over 7gigs of content in my BM3 directory now...

I do not really want to create a new extra 7gig .zip file on my ipad and then back that up as shown in the video.

imho, this is only a good solution if you do not have a lot of content installed in BM3

I will continue to use iMazing for full back up on pc.

• Hey @DeanDaughters

Could you not back your folders up in smaller chunks? ie zip and backup sessions one-by-one, then backup your sample folders seperately (by sub-folder)?

personally I like the flexibility of this added backup system, since my live folders are always being synced with my icloud backup.

• Its a workaround not a solid back up system, Beatmaker needs network support to be honest, not only for backing up but also for access to network stored files.

• During beta I suggested adding support for SMB(Both Client & Server).
    The 'client' could be used to directly access files stored on the 'desktop' or ay networked-server while the 'server' could be used to directly access the content stored in BM3's Documents folder from computers.
    This could also be used for syncing content between BM3 installations, win-win for all.

As far as I've understood BM3 will support the Files.app coming with iOS11 so making backups of the entire BM3 Documents folder should be quite easy. Just tap-n-drag the BM3 folder to DropBox or any other destination to make a copy. Regarding SMB I think it's only a matter of time before we get a Files.app 'plug-in' that support SMB, FTP is already available as is 'Mac OS Server'. I will be installing the final iOS11 on the 19th...

• I suspect we may get BM to BM transfer after all three platforms are released, be it via network or BT

• A 'switch to' command for current project would be nice too.
    Work on iphone on train, get to destination 'switch to' iPad, work on project, get back on train 'switch to' back to iphone, get to studio 'switch to' desktop.

Crappy example but shows the idea haha

• my Beatmaker 3 on Ipad air started download content:starter pack 1 and 2, purchased upright bass, over and over again,without that i push restore purchases, it makes suddenly without any comands.what can i do

• Contact Intua by email, they will need to work on a fix with you ;)

• edited October 2017

@samu said:
    During beta I suggested adding support for SMB(Both Client & Server).
    The 'client' could be used to directly access files stored on the 'desktop' or ay networked-server while the 'server' could be used to directly access the content stored in BM3's Documents folder from computers.
    This could also be used for syncing content between BM3 installations, win-win for all.

As far as I've understood BM3 will support the Files.app coming with iOS11 so making backups of the entire BM3 Documents folder should be quite easy. Just tap-n-drag the BM3 folder to DropBox or any other destination to make a copy. Regarding SMB I think it's only a matter of time before we get a Files.app 'plug-in' that support SMB, FTP is already available as is 'Mac OS Server'. I will be installing the final iOS11 on the 19th...

To be clear, BM3 doesn’t seems to support the Files app yet, and, we can access the whole BM3 folder?
    Or, can we?

I can’t see BM3 nowhere in Files app on iOS 11.1 beta 4...

• BM3 3.0.4 will support iOS11’s Files.app.
    (The latest betas already do)

• Worth nothing though is that even if iTunes 12.7 no longer manages apps it's still possible to do backups and use the file-sharing portion to transfer files. The backup includes information on what apps are installed on the device and also syncs/backs up all user created content. (On full restore the apps will be downloaded from the AppStore and user created content is copied back to the device).

I actually like the 'apps in the cloud' feature as I can off-load apps I seldom use to save space while still keeping the files I have created with the apps. (The icons are still preset on my iPad with a small cloud symbol).

• @samu said:
    BM3 3.0.4 will support iOS11’s Files.app.
    (The latest betas already do)

Ahhh! Great news! Thanks!