BM3 has convinced me to sell my Maschine Studio

2»

Comments

• edited September 2017

@Nick said:
    Anyone want to buy an Atari ST?

How much? lol :-)

No need to justify for having fun man! Enjoy.

@triton100 's reason for selling the item is the great part for me. ;)
    It tells how brilliant BeatMaker 3 really is, and I won't stop expressing my Love for BM3.

Love it

Have fun people! Laugh every-single-day! :-)

King

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Of course not @triton100! My post read a little dismissive - unintended- I think you broke the ice in a very good way! Respects :)
  • I will probably get argued at for saying this but i dont really care, if a poster posts something for sale and they have less than ten posts, im deleting it !!

Beyond that, as long as it is music gear or ipad gear, i dont think it is beyond forum ettiquette ;)

• edited September 2017

I actually bought Maschine Micro Mk2 a few months ago mostly to get my feet wet with Maschine (I’m a Live user with Push and Push2) because I wanted a larger surface for finger drumming and I heard about the great sample packs etc for Maschine. I also own Komplete Ultimate.

I was super disappointed with the workflow :( I could not wrap my head around maschine at all and especially with the Mikro. SOOOOoooo many button pushes, shift this, etc. Not only that, I couldn’t figure out how to sequence anything. I felt very old. Like a COBOL programmer old. Why wasn’t I able to understand the paradigm?

Fast forward to BM3 coming out and for some reason, I picked it up almost immediately. Pad sequencing. Genuis! That got me thinking, isn’t this exactly what maschine is all about? Turns out: yes! I watched some vid’s and realized I cold probably pick up the Maschine workflow pretty easily now (feel free to correct me if I’m being naive) but also learned I will NEVER USE THE MIKRO because it’s just a beating.

Fast forward AGAIN to the new Mk3 coming out and THAT has me actually really excited to eventually get one. Do I like BM3? Heck yeah, I love it. I enjoy being able to write music on my IPad anywhere, anytime. BUT, I also love the power of a desktop, all the integrated plugins that come with both maschine and Komplete Ultimate. IOS stuff is great and all, but it’s still in its “fiddly” stage. I’ve spent hours on BM3 already and plan on spending even more hours with it! But...The maschine workflow looks intriguing and I can use all of the software I’ve already invested in with Komplete and VST’s.

Right now on my desktop, I use Live and Push2 almost exclusively. The workflow of that combo is stellar for me. But BM3 showed me that I might like to dive into the Maschine workflow with the right controller, i.e. the MK3. I can still use BM3 and render stuff out to Live and do the same with Maschine.

I guess my point is, I can see why people would sell Maschine, I can see why people would keep it, or use all of them. There are reasons to have them all or just one or some. And there’s no wrong answer. I plan on using them all.

Interesting side note:
    DID I see that the Mk3 is supposedly class compliant, so theoretically you could use it as a controller for BM3 or no?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Just a couple of notes, the audio interface is class compliant (its basically an Audio 4)
    The maschine controller uses a HUI driver custom made by NI and it is doubtful that has changed for MK3 because the HUI is used to negate the 1ms per message latency built in to the MIDI spec.
    Pros - Maschine is super responsive.
    Cons - It will never work without a desktop attached, NI have consistently said an iPad driver is impossible :(

Also lets not forget that BM is coming for MacOS somewhere down the line ;)

• edited September 2017
    Interesting point - I quizzed Native about this and got a reply this morning:

I asked them:

- is the Maschine MK3 a class compliant USB audio midi interface?
    - will Maschine appear as a midi device when a device is connected to its USB audio midi interface WITHOUT maschine 3 software?
    - what is its status when connected to an iPad via USB?

The reply was:

For the MK3 as it is :
    - YES its Class Compliant
    - YES Maschine MK3 can operate without the software as a MIDI device.
    - NO Maschine MK3 isn't compatible with iOS

It's an interesting conundrum - if also has a midi interface, wouldn't it show connected midi devices?

Looking to confirmation as the release unfolds!
  • edited September 2017
    And in full disclosure- a midi mode Maschine Mk 3 available to BM3 would be fantastic (minus the hosted software driver layer they use at present). The chances of that are probably minuscule.
  • edited September 2017

Yes it can operate as a MIDI controller without the software, so can MK1s/Mk2s/Studio, notice how they cleverly word it "Without the software"

You still need a desktop to use it as a MIDI controller ;)

• If it weren't for Native Instruments brutal lack of customer care and garden walled revenue model, I'd almost hope for a different outcome. I bet it would be possible to hook up a sub 37 to Maschine mk3 with an iPad on the other side, sequence it, record the audio.... but just not be able to use the pads. Aaarrgghhhh!
  • edited September 2017

Yeah it is just the age old "Will it, wont it" with the aidio interface on the iPad, a lot of class compliant audio interfaces dont mention IOS support but work.
    But using a MK3 just for its audio interface is like using a Rolls Royce to listen to a CD hahaha

• edited September 2017
    Or just like...